• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do people on RF believe they are more intelligent than everyone else?

Okay, the answer that you're supposed to give to this question is no, right?

Well, the honest answer would seem to be 'yes', according to two polls I left open a while ago.

Religious Education Forum - View Poll Results

Religious Education Forum - View Poll Results

I'd like to note that the t-score for the unpaired t-test (different sample sizes) was 2.505, yielding a p-value of 0.0201.

This suggests that the idea that RF believes they are more intelligent than everyone else is a statistically significant conclusion (given an alpha of 0.05). Whether this belief is justified is neither here nor there.

Btw, before anyone calls this thread trolling, I'd just like to let you all know I'm not doing anything but stating the facts. You're free to look at the data.
Intelligence is far too subjective to determine one's own, anothers, and then compare them. Anyone ever hear of Wisdom?

DarkSun

:eltiT
Intelligence is far too subjective to determine one's own, anothers, and then compare them. Anyone ever hear of Wisdom?

It wasn't a comparison of intelligence. It was a comparison of how we perceive intelligence, with regard to ourselves and others.

It wasn't a comparison of intelligence. It was a comparison of how we perceive intelligence, with regard to ourselves and others.
Ahh..., the perception of intelligence compared! Not quite sure what the difference is, but without the difference there is nothing to debate. Perception is always debatable which is why I try not to percieve.What I see beyond debate is that this is a conundrum.

Peacewise

Interesting topic.

Howard Gardner's model of intelligence is decent. (lol)
Linguistic Intelligence. Logical-mathematical intelligence. Musical Intelligence. Spatial Intelligence. Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence. Naturalist Intelligence. Interpersonal Intelligence. Intrapersonal Intelligence. Existential Intelligence.
Are within his model of intelligences. So which intelligence should we look to in our fellow REF'ers?

A test I took recently placed me in the top 1% of 1300 tested, spose the makes me intelligent. Hey I looked over the Dunning-Kruger effect, perhaps that might account for why some people think REF'ers are smarter than your average bear.

I've met a few very creative people who lacked social intelligence (or at least the displaying of it!), and a few very social people who couldn't do maths, yes seems to me intelligence status cannot be measured across a single spectrum from stupid to smart, but must be broken down as Gardner has done. That is what reductionist science does, afterall.

Last edited:
How? :areyoucra
Perception is always debatable because it is entirely subjective. Not that it always will be debated, but it is always open to. I TRY not to percieve, have not perfect doing so and never will. My point is I TRY to observe objectively rather then impose subjective perception. On those occasions when I succeed, what is true is more obvious.

The sample size on one of them was fourteen thank you very much.

Originally Posted by monta
The fact, that you think you can extrapolate, any significant data from the maximum of 10 people, who answered both questions is the most interesting part of this experiment imo.

Your really do need to brush up on your reading comprehension.

DarkSun

:eltiT
Your really do need to brush up on your reading comprehension.

Why are you assuming I didn't understand you? Don't read what I said, read what I meant.
Also, if you know that the polls are inaccurate, and it's obvious that they are, then why are you so avid in trying to justify yourself?

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Why are you assuming I didn't understand you? Don't read what I said, read what I meant.

I'm guessing she's assuming that because she mentioned a number of people who answered both questions, and your response was that 14 people answered one of the questions, not both. All we can do is read what you wrote, and what you wrote belied a lack of understanding of what she said.

It's no big deal, but it's only reasonable to assume you didn't fully read what she wrote.

Renji

We all have different intelligences. I would say that someone is 'more intelligent' to the other at some point/things, vice versa.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
*shrug* I know that with most things, I'm above average and others I'm below average. In academics, I'm a B-student that tests very well which skews my scores up in my favor. So, I'm confident that I know my limits and my strengths.

But where I'm really adept is in the art and science of making men weep and wrapping them around my little finger. I use that whenever I see the opportunity or if I just want to have a little fun.

A

angellous_evangellous

*shrug* I know that with most things, I'm above average and others I'm below average. In academics, I'm a B-student that tests very well which skews my scores up in my favor. So, I'm confident that I know my limits and my strengths.

But where I'm really adept is in the art and science of making men weep and wrapping them around my little finger. I use that whenever I see the opportunity or if I just want to have a little fun.

:foryou:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Mystic Sang'ha said:

Oh yes, having boobs takes immense amounts of skill.

Pfft I can do that and I barely have boobs.

Last edited: