• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Black Lives Matter to you? (Yes/No only)

Do Black Lives Matter to you?

• Total voters

Friend of Mara

I think I answered that by saying that "all lives matter" to me.
But.....let's break your question down.
You asked " Do you think that black lives deserve every bit as much respect and dignity as white lives"
If someone answers yes to that question then it means that all matter to them, that is with the execption of those that are not black or white..
So I will ask a question.
Why do those that ask the question "Do black lives matter" not accept the answer "all lives matter"? Do only black and white lives matter? What about those that are not either black or white, do their lives not matter?
We are trying to heal this nation, it seems that we have a very serious political divide and by asking the question "do Black Lives matter", IMO, we are causing a racial divide in that those that ask the question will not accept the answer "all lives matter".
I base my evaluation of a person not on the color of their skin but on their performance in their daily life. If someone is a scumbag it doesn't matter the color of their skin, a scumbag is a scumbag.
Because saying "all lives matter" and refusing to say "black lives matter" is a form of gaslighting. Its almost unanimously used by people who do not agree that black people face unique challenges in the US today.

Saying the value of their lives is dependent on their actions is also slippery slope. For while people the news often get flattering photos and fail to mention negative things from their past. But a black person will be introduced as "as a former drug dealer" because they were caught with weed 15 years ago. Its an easy way to justify the killing of otherwise innocent people by saying 'oh they were no angel'. No one is an angel.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I think I answered that by saying that "all lives matter" to me.
But that's an incorrect answer to the question posed. The question requires a Yes/No answer.
Why do those that ask the question "Do black lives matter" not accept the answer "all lives matter"? Do only black and white lives matter? What about those that are not either black or white, do their lives not matter?
Because "all lives matter" isn't an answer. It's a diversion from answering the question. To avoid accountability.
Everyone agrees that all lives matter. You're under this notion people don't agree with that statement.
We are trying to heal this nation, it seems that we have a very serious political divide and by asking the question "do Black Lives matter", IMO, we are causing a racial divide in that those that ask the question will not accept the answer "all lives matter".
Like you care about the division, it's conservatives that don't want Unity and are calling for war. Radicals.
For some people like you, your brain goes to race/racism immediately when discussing brown/black people on any topic.
I base my evaluation of a person not on the color of their skin but on their performance in their daily life. If someone is a scumbag it doesn't matter the color of their skin, a scumbag is a scumbag.
No one believes that. That's a dog whistle in itself.

Audie

Veteran Member
Because saying "all lives matter" and refusing to say "black lives matter" is a form of gaslighting. Its almost unanimously used by people who do not agree that black people face unique challenges in the US today.

Saying the value of their lives is dependent on their actions is also slippery slope. For while people the news often get flattering photos and fail to mention negative things from their past. But a black person will be introduced as "as a former drug dealer" because they were caught with weed 15 years ago. Its an easy way to justify the killing of otherwise innocent people by saying 'oh they were no angel'. No one is an angel.

That is your take on what it means.
Others see it differently. In the absence
of any facts and figures, its best, imo,
not to make factual claims.

I doubt though that there are anv
Americans unaware the black people in the USA, among other places, have been terribly
abused.

Unique challenges, sure, and in much smaller measure, unique opportunities.

In the present it appears that they are their own worst enemies, and no laws and nobody
can help with that but themselves.

I don't think it is accurate to say that
Blacks always get their past unfairly
mentioned and others do not.

Again, facts and figures?

Peoples lives' value dependant on
actions, or not...in some abstract
way I guess all people are equal.

In reality-? The man who among other
things left me with a concussion and
infection that nearly killed me? His
value v Barak Obama? Slippery
slope? I don't think so.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
New posters to RF might not see the game often played here.
Some questions asked are asked not to elicit a direct answer,
& leave it at that.
Sometimes it's to make the respondent perform...like a trained
seal. This is clear when the respondent doesn't disagree.
If the respondent doesn't cooperate, one is often falsely accused
of holding a view one doesn't hold. Other times it's about artful
wording. If one objects to the some of the BLM views (eg, "no
lives matter until black lives matter, wrongful shooting by cops
is given attention because it happens only to blacks), one isn't
fond of having the issue limited to their script.

Posters here have histories with each other. Some are prone
to such mischief, & those familiar are loath to play that game.
But when the questioner is engaged, conversations will look
strange.
Experience teaches that it's best to avoid such discussions.
I thought this was a forum for questions and debates?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity

Americans unaware the black people in the USA, among other places, have been terribly
abused.

In the present it appears that they are their own worst enemies, and no laws and nobody

slope? I don't think so.
Do you think people are discriminated in worse ways
than to have their past mentioned?

I think I've seen some of it
but I fear there are many worse things out there
many ways to hate and mistreat

Audie

Veteran Member
Do you think people are discriminated in worse ways
than to have their past mentioned?

I think I've seen some of it
but I fear there are many worse things out there
many ways to hate and mistreat

If a person has a shady past then they
are at risk of it being mentioned,
Its only discrimination if some class of
people are exempt.

There are worse things, yes.

Friend of Mara

abused.

Find me one time a black person was shot by police that didn't have their name dragged through the mud. I can only think of one and it was a black 10 year old in I think Chicago who was playing with a cap gun. Those cops weren't fired but that was the only time I can think that a black person's past wasn't drug into it. And they still criticized the parents for letting the kids play with a cap gun. Breonna Taylor is the best example I can think of. She herself never had any run in with the law. Her boyfriend didn't have any kind of criminal past. But they dragged up one ex-boyfriend who was involved with drugs. Why was that relevant?

There is always a reason someone refuses to say "black lives matter". What is the function of saying "all lives matter"? What does that accomplish? There is a correct answer.

slope? I don't think so.
At least in America that is wrong. And there is a reason for this. It doesn't matter if you are a criminal or a saint. You cannot be executed without due process. That is the cornerstone of law. That is the cornerstone of our society as a whole. We can make semantic arguments about how the death penalty might be involved with the value of life but it is largely beside the point. Our society has decided that a group of dads can't just go curb-stomp a pedophile renegade vigilante style. That is illegal. Now is that moral? Do I necessarily agree with it? Perhaps special pardons given the in-depth look at the motivations are acceptable.

But as it stands criminals and the president are both equally protected under the law. Their lives have the same value. (in practice not so much but theoretically yes)

Audie

Veteran Member
Find me one time a black person was shot by police that didn't have their name dragged through the mud. I can only think of one and it was a black 10 year old in I think Chicago who was playing with a cap gun. Those cops weren't fired but that was the only time I can think that a black person's past wasn't drug into it. And they still criticized the parents for letting the kids play with a cap gun. Breonna Taylor is the best example I can think of. She herself never had any run in with the law. Her boyfriend didn't have any kind of criminal past. But they dragged up one ex-boyfriend who was involved with drugs. Why was that relevant?

There is always a reason someone refuses to say "black lives matter". What is the function of saying "all lives matter"? What does that accomplish? There is a correct answer.

At least in America that is wrong. And there is a reason for this. It doesn't matter if you are a criminal or a saint. You cannot be executed without due process. That is the cornerstone of law. That is the cornerstone of our society as a whole. We can make semantic arguments about how the death penalty might be involved with the value of life but it is largely beside the point. Our society has decided that a group of dads can't just go curb-stomp a pedophile renegade vigilante style. That is illegal. Now is that moral? Do I necessarily agree with it? Perhaps special pardons given the in-depth look at the motivations are acceptable.

But as it stands criminals and the president are both equally protected under the law. Their lives have the same value. (in practice not so much but theoretically yes)

This will go nowhere, so, let's drop it

Last edited:

esmith

Veteran Member
But that's an incorrect answer to the question posed. The question requires a Yes/No answer.
Only in your opinion and I have a little or no respect for your opinion

Because "all lives matter" isn't an answer. It's a diversion from answering the question. To avoid accountability.
Everyone agrees that all lives matter. You're under this notion people don't agree with that statement.
Obiviously you don't because you have an underlying adversion to anyone that disagrees with you that in your mind{?} their lives don't matter I suspect.

Like you care about the division, it's conservatives that don't want Unity and are calling for war. Radicals.
For some people like you, your brain goes to race/racism immediately when discussing brown/black people on any topic.
Your assine incorrect opinion of me really doesn't bother me because I really do feel sorry for you.[

Friend of Mara

Obiviously you don't because you have an underlying adversion to anyone that disagrees with you that in your mind{?} their lives don't matter I suspect.
As a genuine question why is there an aversion to saying "black lives matter"? Is there an aversion to saying white lives matter or gay lives matter or blue lives matter?

esmith

Veteran Member
As a genuine question why is there an aversion to saying "black lives matter"? Is there an aversion to saying white lives matter or gay lives matter or blue lives matter?
Because if I said "black lives matter as so do all lives" it would not be accepted by many. Therefore I have an aversion to placing my self in a position that I do not care to be in.

Friend of Mara

Because if I said "black lives matter as so do all lives" it would not be accepted by many. Therefore I have an aversion to placing my self in a position that I do not care to be in.
What is that position though? This isn't a gotcha question either. I would like to know.

esmith

Veteran Member
What is that position though? This isn't a gotcha question either. I would like to know.
As far as @tytlyf question I do see it as a gotcha question. If I answer no then I am a racist, if I don't check one of his "boxes" and I answer "all lives" matter I am still a rasist and I will not play his games.
However since you asked I will give you the only answer I can or will give....."black lives matter as do all other lives".
If you can't accept that, then so be it.

tytlyf

Not Religious
As far as @tytlyf question I do see it as a gotcha question.
You're the only one who sees it as a gotcha question. To most, it appears to be a very simple question with a very simple answer.
If I answer no then I am a racist, if I don't check one of his "boxes" and I answer "all lives" matter I am still a rasist and I will not play his games.
I didn't say answering No qualifies you as a racist. I didn't say answering Yes means you're anti-racist.
You're the one who assumed that prior to answering the question and that's why you went on a tangent.
However since you asked I will give you the only answer I can or will give....."black lives matter as do all other lives".
If you can't accept that, then so be it.
You've already stated that black lives don't matter to you. So you can't say 'all lives matter.' That's a contradiction esmith.

esmith

Veteran Member
You've already stated that black lives don't matter to you. So you can't say 'all lives matter.' That's a contradiction esmith.
I do not recall saying that the lives of blacks do not matter.
I don't know maybe you read something then your convoluted mind interprets into another meaning. Maybe that's your problem, you are totally fixated on views that everything you read or hear is transformed into the dogma that has overtaken your entire life. Given that I can see that when you read my post #22 when I said "If you are asking about the orginization "Black Lives Matter" the answer is no. If you are asking about black lives then the answer is that all lives matter."

tytlyf

Not Religious
If you are asking about black lives then the answer is that all lives matter."
But that's the wrong answer. Just answer No. For some people, it's a difficult question.
Why can't you just admit the reason you don't want to answer "No" is because you don't want the world to think you're a racist. (which you admitted).
Changing an answer from "no" to "all lives matter' shows you don't think 'black lives matter' and to avoid accountability you'll just answer with 'all lives matter.'

You know who else answers with 'all lives matter?' White supremacists.