• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Black Lives Matter to you? (Yes/No only)

Do Black Lives Matter to you?

• Total voters

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Do you only care for those who have personal meaning to you? You would be okay if a group of people you don't know, were kidnapped and sold into slavery in the sex trade market and you heard about that? I think most people would care. Empathy is a human quality that evolution gave us. We identify ourselves with the plight of others, even those we don't personally know, out of basic human responses.

This is a great video I think you should watch. It's all science based, even though he makes the remark about religion getting certain things right upon occasion. It might help to change your perspective a bit on this. I'm sure you're not that detached from your empathy for others to say you just don't care.

Science shows that empathy is a tribal thing. That is why tribalism exists. At the moment we are trying to overcome that as a global society. The further away from the tribe someone is the less empathy you have for them.

As for me, in principle I am against sex slavery, and if I hear someone get dragged into it I have a feeling of disgust and righteous indignation. But that is momentary. The evidence that I don't care that much about it is that I don't take action to sort out the situation or at least feel the urge to.

esmith

Veteran Member
If you are asking about the orginization "Black Lives Matter" the answer is no
If you are asking about black lives then the answer is that all lives matter.

Audie

Veteran Member
Do you only care for those who have personal meaning to you? You would be okay if a group of people you don't know, were kidnapped and sold into slavery in the sex trade market and you heard about that? I think most people would care. Empathy is a human quality that evolution gave us. We identify ourselves with the plight of others, even those we don't personally know, out of basic human responses.

This is a great video I think you should watch. It's all science based, even though he makes the remark about religion getting certain things right upon occasion. It might help to change your perspective a bit on this. I'm sure you're not that detached from your empathy for others to say you just don't care.

I figure that those who care will put money where mouth is.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

Yeah, like, does one genuinely care if they feel empathy but don't have the urge to take action?

Or is that urge competing with selfishness so that selfishness smothers it?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In whatever ways are possible for everyone who cares, you could say they do. Just acknowledging the injustice towards others, is 'putting your money where the mouth is'. Acknowledging injustice alone, is taking action to stop it. To say you don't care about the plight of others, shows callousness as a human being in a way I think very few actually experience.

Audie

Veteran Member
In whatever ways are possible for everyone who cares, you could say they do. Just acknowledging the injustice towards others, is 'putting your money where the mouth is'. Acknowledging injustice alone, is taking action to stop it. To say you don't care about the plight of others, shows callousness as a human being in a way I think very few actually experience emotionally.

Acknowledging but not acting is a lot
like Virtue signaling

Don't care?
I didn't state or imply that so why do
you address this to me .

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There are different senses of something "mattering" and the OP doesn't really specify what meaning we are supposed to be assessing this on. Are we supposed to assess it on some vague, philosophical level? A more personal or practical level? A community or national level? My answers vary for each of those.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Imo this doesn't get to the crux of the matter. Many if not most conservatives are often reluctant to or outright refuse to believe that black populations suffer from civic, accessibility and social pitfalls that white populations do not. That there are pressing inequities that should be at the very least acknowledged if not prioritized.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Acknowledging but not acting is a lot
like Virtue signaling
Acknowledgement is an action. Nonaction is still denying there is an issue. Acknowledgement is a step forward. It's the first action. First acknowledging there is a need.

Don't condemn awakening, as some insincere "virtue signalling", or try to equate it as such. Instead, be glad people are taking that first step in acknowledgement. People who are attention seekers, are not representative of the majority of people who care about their fellow humans, regardless of who they are or where they live.

InChrist

Free4ever
I use this question a lot online when talking to conservatives. Unfortunately, I never get a single answer as requested. There's always a paragraph of explanation instead of Yes/No.
Seems like a simple question to me.

So, let's keep this short and sweet. Poll results will be public.

My Answer: Yes

Every life matters. Biblically, there is only one race, the human race, each person created in God’s image and all of value.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Do you only care for those who have personal meaning to you?
Yes, I don't see this as a problem because what I feel is of no benefit to anyone other than myself. As your feelings are yours. They neither benefit me nor cause me any problems.

You would be okay if a group of people you don't know, were kidnapped and sold into slavery in the sex trade market and you heard about that?

No. For this one group you hear about, you realize there are 1000s of other groups you never hear about right? So in your ignorance, the majority of people that bad things happen to, you don't care about. You only care about people who have meaning to you because someone else brought their plight to your attention.

I think most people would care. Empathy is a human quality that evolution gave us. We identify ourselves with the plight of others, even those we don't personally know, out of basic human responses.

I guess I'm not like most people. I don't pretend to have knowledge of people I don't. I don't know their needs, I don't know their trials, I don't know their suffering. I don't expect people to know about mine. Even folks who may know my problems, they don't care, I've no problem with that. Nothing I'm going to judge them for. They have their own problems. I don't expect them to set all their own problems aside to spend a little time caring about mine.

As presented in the video, empathy is based on fictions. Fictions of identity, fictions of race, fictions of family. Personally, I don't think embracing these fictions are a solution to anything. Feelings, while a sufficient enough feedback system to allow the continuation of the human race so far is horribly imprecise. For 100,000s of years, it was all we had. IMO, we can use rationale and logic to do better.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As presented in the video, empathy is based on fictions. Fictions of identity, fictions of race, fictions of family.
Apparently you did not understand what you watched. Empathy is not based upon those. It's based upon the softwiring of our brains through mirror-neurons. That empathy for another is innate in our species.

Now as far as the fictions he was referring to, those are the "in-group" fictions we create. It also fits in with developmental theory, where the circle of who is included in your sphere, it naturally begins with the family. It then extends to kin, then to peers, then to community, then to state, then to nation, etc.

It's those other designations as "state", that are fictions. Not empathy. That's evolutionary.

I'd think you might get more out of that video if you spent some time trying to unpack it. There is a lot of good information packed into it from the leading edges of our understanding of the human being, through the sciences.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Apparently you did not understand what you watched. Empathy is not based upon those. It's based upon the softwiring of our brains through mirror-neurons. That empathy for another is innate in our species.

Now as far as the fictions he was referring to, those are the "in-group" fictions we create. It also fits in with developmental theory, where the circle of who is included in your sphere, it naturally begins with the family. It then extends to kin, then to peers, then to community, then to state, then to nation, etc.

It's those other designations as "state", that are fictions. Not empathy. That's evolutionary.

I'd think you might get more out of that video if you spent some time trying to unpack it. There is a lot of good information packed into it from the leading edges of our understanding of the human being, through the sciences.

Just because I didn't agree with the video doesn't mean I didn't understand. The video makes a number of assumptions I don't agree with. I understand you may not catch these assumptions as you likely accept them as presented. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get people to recognize the assumptions they take for granted. It's something they have to realize on their own.

Sorry if you already read this but just to clarify my point, Feelings are unreliable, empathy is a feeling. Therefore empathy is an unreliable indicator to go about solving problems.

This is a base principle of mine. I don't see anything here that would cause me to change that.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yes.

Specifically the history of systemic racism that is in so much evidence today needs to be ended. Ignoring that does not end racism.

Beyond that, to me we're all One. If someone is on their knees, so to speak, I want to help them up.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Just because I didn't agree with the video doesn't mean I didn't understand.
That you said that he claimed that empathy was based upon these fictions we create, that is a misunderstanding on your part. That has nothing to do with agreeing or not. It's an error of understanding.

The video makes a number of assumptions I don't agree with. I understand you may not catch these assumptions as you likely accept them as presented.
Such as?

Unfortunately, I don't know how to get people to recognize the assumptions they take for granted. It's something they have to realize on their own.
Or your assumptions are wrong. I am familiar with most of the reaseach areas he's talking into, and those are area of scientific scrutiny, touching upon developmental models, psychology, neurology, etc. I hope you're not one to call all of that just all based upon assumptions without any real much more veracity than the barber's thoughts about it down the street?

Sorry if you already read this but just to clarify my point, Feelings are unreliable, empathy is a feeling. Therefore empathy is an unreliable indicator to go about solving problems.
People who saying feelings are unreliable impress me as those who don't know their own feelings, nor have a conscious relationship with them. It strikes me as fearful of oneself.

Yes, your feeling can in fact be very trustworthy for you, if you learn to listen to yourself, and not always let the thinking mind try to tell you it runs the show.

However, none of that really has to with empathy being used for 'solving problems'. Think about it like this. If you didn't have empathy, you wouldn't be motivated to use your mind for problem solving. Something has to stir you to action, and that is not logic. It's feeling.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Every life matters. Biblically, there is only one race, the human race, each person created in God’s image and all of value.
Then you recognize that blacks are being treated unfairly, and selective prejudices against them which threaten their very lives and livelihoods? Do you recognize that black lives matter in this context?

That is what the slogan was intended to convey, saying "look over here. Black lives matter too," because everyone is acting as if they don't.

This is not hard to understand. There's no need to think it isn't saying only their lives matter and not yours. To say "all lives matter" in response, misses the point. It wipes it away to ignore the problem again where we need to be reminded again.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think you took the bait. Of course all lives matter,
so everyone (but for a wag) would answer <yes>.
But many on the left consider "all lives matter" to be
a racist challenge to BLM. Someone was fishing
for just the right post.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That you said that he claimed that empathy was based upon these fictions we create, that is a misunderstanding on your part. That has nothing to do with agreeing or not. It's an error of understanding.

Which of the following are not fiction? Tribe? Race? nation?

That there are better ways than relying on feelings to solve problems.

Or your assumptions are wrong. I am familiar with most of the reaseach areas he's talking into, and those are area of scientific scrutiny, touching upon developmental models, psychology, neurology, etc. I hope you're not one to call all of that just all based upon assumptions without any real much more veracity than the barber's thoughts about it down the street?

Sure, provide your argument on how relying on our feelings are the best way to go about solving the world's problems. I've been down that road and know it's not true but, go for it.

People who saying feelings are unreliable impress me as those who don't know their own feelings, nor have a conscious relationship with them. It strikes me as fearful of oneself.

Yes, your feeling can in fact be very trustworthy for you, if you learn to listen to yourself, and not always let the thinking mind try to tell you it runs the show.

Sorry, I don't think I can help you to question this assumption. Seems pretty deeply embedded.

However, none of that really has to with empathy being used for 'solving problems'. Think about it like this. If you didn't have empathy, you wouldn't be motivated to use your mind for problem solving. Something has to stir you to action, and that is not logic. It's feeling.

Sorry, not true. I solve other people's problems for a living. A clear definition of the problem is what is needed. Something empathy and feelings don't really provide. As I stated before, empathy is a horrible thing to rely on. I get that folks are "soft-wired' for it and that the biggest problem to overcome in creating any solution that is not half-baked.

Audie

Veteran Member
Acknowledgement is an action. Nonaction is still denying there is an issue. Acknowledgement is a step forward. It's the first action. First acknowledging there is a need.

Don't condemn awakening, as some insincere "virtue signalling", or try to equate it as such. Instead, be glad people are taking that first step in acknowledgement. People who are attention seekers, are not representative of the majority of people who care about their fellow humans, regardless of who they are or where they live.

I don't see being woke as action.

One reason I don't mind being gone from the
USA is the constant in surround stereo race race race race.

While there, as a member of a "mioirity",
I got tired of how people can't just, what, act normal? Its like how it must be to be in a wheelchair, everyone so studiously not noticing
or otherwise thereby making it awkward.

Sure, its great to not have an Asian exclusion act or get called a Chink or whatever.

I'm glas Americans are trying to work it out.

I should have known better than to respond to
"Does so and so matter".