• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Black Lives Matter to you? (Yes/No only)

Do Black Lives Matter to you?

• Total voters

InChrist

Free4ever
Then you recognize that blacks are being treated unfairly, and selective prejudices against them which threaten their very lives and livelihoods? Do you recognize that black lives matter in this context?

That is what the slogan was intended to convey, saying "look over here. Black lives matter too," because everyone is acting as if they don't.

This is not hard to understand. There's no need to think it isn't saying only their lives matter and not yours. To say "all lives matter" in response, misses the point. It wipes it away to ignore the problem again where we need to be reminded again.
I get the point of Black Lives Matter and understand the context. I recognize that some, even many blacks are treated unfairly. Then again many aren’t. I know there are a lot of black people who are opposed to the BLM organization and who consider that it creates more divisiveness, even long time civil rights activists.
So I stand on the premise that all lives matter because if people lived like all lives matter then everyone, whatever color, would be treated fairly and respectfully.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Yes.
I think nobody would answer No, actually.
In my experiments with conservatives in comment sections, when I ask them this question, I never get a Yes or No.
It's never a Yes, it's always a lengthy explanation for an answer. Why is "No" so hard? Why is "Yes" so hard?
I know why, but I've found this question tickles their minds in awkward ways....

I recommend anyone to try this exact question with Trump supporters. (Yes/No only) for answer. Report back with findings.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In my experiments with conservatives in comment sections, when I ask them this question, I never get a Yes or No.
It's never a Yes, it's always a lengthy explanation for an answer. Why is "No" so hard? Why is "Yes" so hard?

I'm about as far from a conservative as you can get and *I* am not a fan of simplistic "yes" or "no" answers to this question, for the reasons I brought up earlier. Beyond that, this forcing of responses into a simplistic binary is at best, disingenuous. Those who want to listen and understand others let them express themselves freely, not force their responses into whatever they think they ought to fall into.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I'm about as far from a conservative as you can get and *I* am not a fan of simplistic "yes" or "no" answers to this question, for the reasons I brought up earlier. Beyond that, this forcing of responses into a simplistic binary is at best, disingenuous. Those who want to listen and understand others let them express themselves freely, not force their responses into whatever they think they ought to fall into.
The Yes/No part is required for this test. Without it, the question is meaningless. This is more than just a simple question allowing people to give whatever reasoning/explanation they want.
This is psychological. With the Yes/No only. Without that, the test is pointless.

esmith

Veteran Member
The Yes/No part is required for this test. Without it, the question is meaningless. This is more than just a simple question allowing people to give whatever reasoning/explanation they want.
Without that, the test is pointless.
And so is your post.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
This is psychological. With the Yes/No only. Without that, the test is pointless.

The question is already meaningless - or rather, without allowing respondents to clarify what it means for lives to "matter" (aka, the context, which is incredibly important) it doesn't really tell us anything. Or rather, it doesn't tell us anything unless one makes a bunch of disingenuous assumptions. And i
f this point of the question is to "test" others, then that is
definitely disingenuous.

Just FYI, I have a fair amount of experience in survey design for research purposes. One of the things you learn is that how a question is asked is very, very important. As a researcher, you have to be sure you are asking a question in such a way that it is actually measuring what you intend it to measure. One tool researchers use to improve that is to ask the same question in several different ways and pooling that together into a single metric. This is how personality tests are administered, for example; one question per metric isn't going to cut it. It doesn't cut it for this topic either, because the "mattering" of life is deeply philosophical. And if you're trying to test for racism, you're doing it wrong. You want to use a tool like this: About the IAT

tytlyf

Not Religious
The question is already meaningless - or rather, without allowing respondents to clarify what it means for lives to "matter" (aka, the context, which is incredibly important) it doesn't really tell us anything. Or rather, it doesn't tell us anything unless one makes a bunch of disingenuous assumptions. And if this point of the question is to "test" others, then that is definitely disingenuous.

Just FYI, I have a fair amount of experience in survey design for research purposes. One of the things you learn is that how a question is asked is very, very important. As a researcher, you have to be sure you are asking a question in such a way that it is actually measuring what you intend it to measure. One tool researchers use to improve that is to ask the same question in several different ways and pooling that together into a single metric. This is how personality tests are administered, for example; one question per metric isn't going to cut it. It doesn't cut it for this topic either, because the "mattering" of life is deeply philosophical. And if you're trying to test for racism, you're doing it wrong. You want to use a tool like this: About the IAT
Nah, you're looking at it wrong. The Yes/No part is required and mandatory. No explanation needed with a question like that. The answer should be simply Yes/No unless I ask for an explanation.

As mentioned, this is from a psychological perspective of people who see the question, grapple with pre-programmed responses (which aren't single answer replies), and how to approach the answer without following the rules.

This is more about how some humans can answer with a single Yes/No answer and other humans who can't.

Doesn't have to do with political party, religious affiliation, anything. That's the beauty

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And so is your post.
Some posters duck, dodge, hector, & attack the other side.
Then they wonder why the other side trusts them not for
a real conversation. Admiral Ackbar said it best.
Rf05bbb65fec54e828c45420c4aa9125f

tytlyf

Not Religious
Yes they are. Unpredictable would be my view.
The #1 threat to America's homeland. Don't support/encourage their behavior.
If you're at a protest with some Proud boys or other white Nationalists, condemn them. If you don't, you will be viewed as accepting of their views.
Right now, conservatives are in the Court of Public Opinion. How you're viewed is up to you.

5555555555.png