• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Atheists claiming truthiness on predetermined view?

Indagator

What about it seems like mental gymnastics? Surely not the length or detail of the article, which is pretty true of every philosophical idea.
And I don't see anything dualistic about it. If you want a simpler version of substance monism in theory of mind, there's always the Qualiasoup videos.

Are you sure you posted the right videos? They just trying to debunk dualism and that is not what we are talking about. I have not even made any claims about dualism as far as i remember.

Atheism is just disbelief in deities. Naturalist do not believe in the supernatural. Free will and consciousness are not supernatural concepts. Free will is just the choice to do what we want. Consciousness means we have the ability to think and nature of thoughts. Naturalists believe everything is based on material/natural causes.

I don't understand the question, though. How can we claim that our view is true (that there is no supernatural cause or materialism is true?) if it was already determined for them to believe otherwise?

Can you rephrase?

I cant rephrase any better than that. I apologize for terrible service in my thread :(

Consciousness exists. We may well not interpret it as having quite the same role and meaning that some theists would read into it, but we do not deny its existence.

You use "we" rather loosely here.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I mean there is no free will or consciousness in Atheism (the absence of belief in the existence of supernatural) since according to them everything is material/physical. So how can they claim that their view is true if it was predetermined?
Anyone start out in life as a theist?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Illusion of consciousness you mean? Otherwise we are talking about self-aware objects with free will. <-- and something like that requires a great amount of faith. EDIT: Not saying that Atheist are not faithful people... lol

Well they do use science to explain their position aren`t they? AFAIK science is pretty much on the materialistic side. Perhaps those atheists you meat have not really looked into their beliefs :)

I'm one of 'those' atheists, and I can assure you, I'm comfortable with my beliefs.
I'm also comfortable with the fact that there is much I don't know, and much we (as a species) don't know.

Ponder This

BTW did anyone provided evidence for free will?

Neuroscience and Free Will Are Rethinking their Divorce

There's still a lot of work for Neuroscientists to do, but you can't argue lack of evidence on this one... yet.

While you are waiting for science to make up it's mind, you might just observe your own thoughts and decisions for a while and ask yourself which model best describes your own behavior: Free Will or Determinism.

Let us know what you think.

If you decide on Determinism, then we'll know you are a robot.
If you decide it's an Illusion, then we'll know you aren't real.
If you decide on Free Will, then we'll know you've taken the simplest rational explanation, even though you're probably wrong.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I am an anti-theist and I do not believe in the nature of all things being reduced down to materialistic existence. Your premise is simply wrong and you are asking questions that are not relevant to atheism yet alone the fact you hold conclusions inconsistent with what atheism is.

I hold the belief that numbers are metaphysical concepts along with the existence of thoughts and their collective totality. So for somebody to bumble along with such nonsense concerning atheist is either heavily misinformed or has self induced the disease of idiocy upon themselves.

Indagator

As compared to...?

Strange question, but well i dont know bunch of people in the comments under Sam Harris or Dennett video....

There's still a lot of work for Neuroscientists to do, but you can't argue lack of evidence on this one... yet.

While you are waiting for science to make up it's mind, you might just observe your own thoughts and decisions for a while and ask yourself which model best describes your own behavior: Free Will or Determinism.

If you decide on Free Will, then we'll know you've taken the simplest rational explanation, even though you're probably wrong.

Free will is the result of consciousness and is a potentiality but most people are deterministic most of the time.

You seem pretty confused.

Every living person is one or the other. You either believe deities exist, or you do not.

Maybe in black and white world.

I am an anti-theist and I do not believe in the nature of all things being reduced down to materialistic existence. Your premise is simply wrong and you are asking questions that are not relevant to atheism yet alone the fact you hold conclusions inconsistent with what atheism is.

I hold the belief that numbers are metaphysical concepts along with the existence of thoughts and their collective totality. So for somebody to bumble along with such nonsense concerning atheist is either heavily misinformed or has self induced the disease of idiocy upon themselves.

I would say that my conclusion are more consistent with atheism than yours, and i already explained it in this thread why that is but i really dont want to go in circles because it is kind of boring...

I'm one of 'those' atheists, and I can assure you, I'm comfortable with my beliefs.
I'm also comfortable with the fact that there is much I don't know, and much we (as a species) don't know.

It is good to see an atheist that are comfortable with his beliefs. :)

james bond

Atheists are usually wrong.

Maybe in black and white world.
LOL.

How can you pretend to have a grown up conversation about this if you can't even understand the basics of what a belief is?

Let me explain it to you as I would a small child.

Belief is a binary. You either hold a proposition as true, or you do not. If you aren't sure, then you do not, and you are an atheist.

Are their deities? If yes, 'theist'. If any other answer but yes, then 'atheist'.

Is any of this sinking in junior?

whirlingmerc

I mean there is no free will or consciousness in Atheism (the absence of belief in the existence of supernatural) since according to them everything is material/physical. So how can they claim that their view is true if it was predetermined?

I guess by implication they have no choice but to claim it... they have no choice? But is it a reasonable claim

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
There is free will and consciousness in atheism. These are philosophical, rather than supernatural, concepts.

Indagator

LOL.

How can you pretend to have a grown up conversation about this if you can't even understand the basics of what a belief is?

Let me explain it to you as I would a small child.

Belief is a binary. You either hold a proposition as true, or you do not. If you aren't sure, then you do not, and you are an atheist.

Are their deities? If yes, 'theist'. If any other answer but yes, then 'atheist'.

Is any of this sinking in junior?

My original point stands.

There is free will and consciousness in atheism. These are philosophical, rather than supernatural, concepts.

You are late to the party, we have already been through this in this thread :D

Milton Platt

Atheism is not monolithic. You need to define which atheists you are talking about for a meaningful discussion.

Some advocate for free will, some do not. Why would their view be less valid if it was predetermined than if it was not predetermined?

I'm advocating for neither view.....I just want to understand your logic.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If Atheism is rejecting of faith then one should also reject the supernatural. Matter being self-aware is pretty supernatural.
Matter being self-aware is entirely supernatural, in a philosophical sense, and there's no reason in the world that an atheist should reject that. Atheism is the rejection of god, not self. In many ways, atheism is the acceptance that things can be explained by self, rather than by godliness (i.e. humanism).

Last edited: