• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Atheists claiming truthiness on predetermined view?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I skimmed through it and it seems like some Olympic level mental gymnastics with pinch of indirect dualism. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction by highlighting what you think is important from your own source?
What about it seems like mental gymnastics? Surely not the length or detail of the article, which is pretty true of every philosophical idea.
And I don't see anything dualistic about it. If you want a simpler version of substance monism in theory of mind, there's always the Qualiasoup videos.

Indagator

WHY?

It is not a logical conclusion. Once again I state atheism is simply a rejection of faith.
Please explain why consciousness and free will is supernatural, that makes no sense at all.

If Atheism is rejecting of faith then one should also reject the supernatural. Matter being self-aware is pretty supernatural.

Once again, more misrepresentation of atheism by, i assume, a theist.

How can disbelief in god or gods suddenly become "to them everything is material/physical. "

We don't know if our disbelief is true. All we have to go on is the absolute lack of evidence for gods, and in some cases the evidences that disprove aspects of various gods. All you need to do is provide falsifiable evidence that a god or gods exist and you will eradicate atheism at a stroke.

To date no one has every, in about 10,000 years of god worship ever provided such evidence which is one of several reasons there are atheists.

I am not a theist, but my personal stance on this does not matter, i am just a text on your screen :)

BTW did anyone provided evidence for free will?

Are you talking about this?

Because you can use science to explain your position on the natural world, you can't, by definition, use it to explain something which is supernatural. You can use science to review information said to intersect the supernatural and natural world, such as a global flood being unevidenced, or material evidence of ghosts being unconvincing, hoaxes or misinterpretations. But you can't out and out determine a supernatural entity via science. Hence why I, and most atheists I've met, are agnostic atheists.

I know but tell that to Atheists not me, because many atheists arguing that supernatural does not exist "because science"... :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Atheism is just disbelief in deities. Naturalist do not believe in the supernatural. Free will and consciousness are not supernatural concepts. Free will is just the choice to do what we want. Consciousness means we have the ability to think and nature of thoughts. Naturalists believe everything is based on material/natural causes.

I mean there is no free will or consciousness in Atheism (the absence of belief in the existence of supernatural) since according to them everything is material/physical. So how can they claim that their view is true if it was predetermined?

I don't understand the question, though. How can we claim that our view is true (that there is no supernatural cause or materialism is true?) if it was already determined for them to believe otherwise?

Can you rephrase?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Atheism is different, and certainly shows charactistics of a religion.

When you say "atheism shows characteristics of a religion" are you referring to all those atheist churches you see on every other street corner, the ritualized atheist worship services held every Sunday in those churches, the atheist creeds they recite during the services, the atheist holy scriptures they read from -- are you referring to all those and other characteristics of religion -- or are you just saying something stupid? I'm curious which it is.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I mean there is no free will or consciousness in Atheism (the absence of belief in the existence of supernatural) since according to them everything is material/physical. So how can they claim that their view is true if it was predetermined?
Consciousness exists. We may well not interpret it as having quite the same role and meaning that some theists would read into it, but we do not deny its existence.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If Atheism is rejecting of faith then one should also reject the supernatural. Matter being self-aware is pretty supernatural.

Belief in deities is just an oddity. It is not necessary or all that advisable even for supernaturalism, let alone for faith.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

There are many definitions of materialism, and I know of few people who hold the strictest view. For example, everyone I know of agrees that skills are a real thing. Yet a skill is not physical.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Well they do use science to explain their position aren`t they? AFAIK science is pretty much on the materialistic side. Perhaps those atheists you meat have not really looked into their beliefs :)
Science is a discipline where you withhold your personal opinions and look at what you see. It can't comment on materialism; and try not to frame Science for the choices people make. If someone wants to be a materialist, then that is their choice or their belief or the consequence of various things.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Yes, it is a different type of atheism, though. Still technically atheism.

Let me get this straight. You think it's intelligent to argue that because you have "practiced a different type of atheism as a religion", that "atheism shows characteristics of being a religion."? You think that's a bright argument, right?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Granted, not the same as what I'm referring to.

The atheism religion I'm referring to is the is the faith in no deity, etc

The excessive focus on atheism, etc

"Religion".
Passion, focus, et al are qualities of hobbies and careers as much as religion. Religion requires more than just these things though. 'I do/don't believe in a god or gods,' no matter how many times stated or at what volume level, is not enough framework for a religion. You need a system of beliefs for that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I am not a theist, but my personal stance on this does not matter, i am just a text on your screen :)

BTW did anyone provided evidence for free will?

Your personal stance does matter when that stance uses misrepresentation to !make its argument.

I will repeat

"How can disbelief in god or gods suddenly become "to them everything is material/physical. ""

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Passion, focus, et al are qualities of hobbies and careers as much as religion. Religion requires more than just these things though. 'I do/don't believe in a god or gods,' no matter how many times stated or at what volume level, is not enough framework for a religion. You need a system of beliefs for that.

You need more than a mere system of beliefs, I think. You need rituals, festivals, holy days, sacred spaces, etc. All major religions have those things and more. Atheism lacks them.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes, it is a different type of atheism, though. Still technically atheism.

I think rather you are having a hard time understanding them. I can't help, there.
Wrong. Stopping your attempts to bastardize the meaning of "atheism" could certainly help.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You need more than a mere system of beliefs, I think. You need rituals, festivals, holy days, sacred spaces, etc. All major religions have those things and more. Atheism lacks them.
'Major' religions, yes, but not all religions, heck not even all beliefs within or around those major religions (Christian deism, various non-denominational views, many left-hand paths, etc.)

But I agree, both atheism and theism as umbrella terms lack those.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Atheism only means to not have a belief in deity or deities.

Covers a lot of ground.

No bastardization required.

No, all it covers is the disbelief in a god or gods, nothing more. How is that a lot of ground?