• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did you change religions?

My current religion...

• ... is almost entirely same one I was brought up with

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • ... is similar to the one I was brought up with (e.g., denomination change)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • ... is different from the one I was brought up with, but I retain some prior beliefs/practices

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • ... is almost entirely different from the one I was brought up with

Votes: 32 78.0%

• Total voters

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I was born into a practicing Catholic (Italian-American) family, became Eastern Orthodox for a few years. The mysticism of Eastern Orthodoxy attracted me, but I was ultimately drawn to Hinduism.

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
Its mostly different. I am a one man band even though I have tried to fit in. My first church was charismatic all the way including private christian schooling for the majority of my grades, plus a little public and home schooling. Who knows what is next?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Consider everyone who came before Christ, all those people who never even had the opportunity to know of Christ. Are they automatically condemened? Automatically exempted from this requirement?

Note: whenever the scriptures speak of the judgement, that judgement is not based upon the doctrines one accepts. It is judgement of one's deeds. This is fair, and without favoritism.

If the Judgement is based upon holding the right doctrines, or even just belief in Christ, there is an unmistakable favoritism involved in such a Judgement - because all are not equally given the opportunity, calling, or environment to come to Christ. But there is no favoritism with God, for favoritism is a sin.
Concerning teachings, the scriptures are clear that teachings matter.
What do we read at Matthew 7, Matthew 24:14, and Matthew 28:19, 20, Romans 10, 1 Timothy 2:3, 4, 2 Thessalonians 1, and many other scriptures?

I think if one looks at the existing situation today, with its many conflicting faiths, one may be inclined to believe, "Surely God must accept all these." but that was never the case. There was always true worship and false, and God never accepted false.

There is an ongoing battle between truth and false, light and darkness - God gives truth and light. Satan gives false and darkness.

What do you think of this text?
2 Corinthians 6:14-18
14 Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? 15 Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer share in common with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I will reside among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.” 17 “‘Therefore, get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take you in.’” 18 “‘And I will become a father to you, and you will become sons and daughters to me,’ says Jehovah, the Almighty.”

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I cannot answer the poll as presented. My current "religion" is entirely different from the Roman Catholic religion from which I was raised.

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
I wasn't raised in any religion. I didn't raise my son in any religion, either, so I'm the same in that respect.
I have, however, gathered religions along the way.
I have a question. Its great that you have a son. That must be an amazing feeling. As a gatherer of religion has anything changed you as much as that?

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Changing one's religious orientation is not an uncommon occurrence. Is your current religious path analogous to the one you grew up with?

Scientism --> Theism (liberal Christianity)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I have a question. Its great that you have a son. That must be an amazing feeling. As a gatherer of religion has anything changed you as much as that?
Being that it would have been easier to die in childbirth than to hang onto life for my son's sake, I would agree that this event was a game-changer for me.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Do not compliment @metis. He is very ancient.... er.. I mean old....er... I mean mature and the excitement is not good for him.
Ya, when I was younger excitement would give me a hard attack :), but now I fear a heart attack. :(

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
From my observations. it is incredibly difficult and heart-wrenching to switch religions if you're religious. For the non-religious, or the 'sort of' religious, who weren't really committed to their previous faith, it's far easier. Baggage is hard to get rid of, regardless of what kind of baggage it is. It takes a very long time, with a ton of patience. Amongst my acquaintances of converts, I still see hangover effect. Maybe too much, and it's subconscious. Some Hindu converts, for example, still feel this drive to go to temple on Sunday. They'd never see that as hangover, too proud of the new found faith.

I'm very grateful that my parents raised me seemingly "neutral" so I could let my attraction to mystic spirituality grow naturally. However I do notice that the Western cultural trend of my generation has also been ingrained or should I say 'brainwashed' into my mind which often rubs unpleasantly with following my chosen path the way I wish.

Which doesn't necessarily mean that I wish I had been born in let's say India because every culture has its own limitations that may affect you negatively (until you manage to trancend them).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm very grateful that my parents raised me seemingly "neutral" so I could let my attraction to mystic spirituality grow naturally. However I do notice that the Western cultural trend of my generation has also been ingrained or should I say 'brainwashed' into my mind which often rubs unpleasantly with following my chosen path the way I wish.

Which doesn't necessarily mean that I wish I had been born in let's say India because every culture has its own limitations that may affect you negatively (until you manage to trancend them).

You can take the boy from the _________ , but you can't take the ________ from the boy.

I was raised pretty neutral as well.

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
I was a christian. I have been a satanist since December 5th, 2013 and I will always stay a satanist for the rest of my life. My step mom hates the fact that I am not a jesus follower. I am happy that I follow Lucifer and the truth that he teaches.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If that is one of the points, I can think of at least a dozen ways this poll wouldn't be representative of any given country... nor the world as a whole.

It's not intended to be representative. If I cared about that, I would have taken the extra time to dig up the studies I've found in the past that have done the numbers. The main point of this thread is just for people to share a little something. That it highlights the fact that humans often change their minds about things is just a nice bonus. :D

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant church, became quite agnostic in my 20's, converted to Catholicism when 30, converted to Judaism when 50, and then returned to Catholicism this year (I'm 73 years ol --er, I mean mature).

However, as some of you know, I'n very ecumenical and am pretty much loosey-goosey when it comes to my personal theology (see "My Faith Statement" at the bottom of my posts for clarification).
And I thought this mental problem was just in your 73 ol. --er, I mean mature age. Apparently you were born with it! :D

Last edited: