• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coraline

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I know most of you guys are grown ups, but who is egscited about Coraline??

coralinemovietieinbookcover.jpg

I am.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
The book is wonderful. I've been reading it with my daughter, and read it myself a couple years ago.

Nanda

Polyanna
I am! I am! It's a Tim Burton film, so naturally, I'm egscited.

No it isn't, I'm afraid. When they say "By the director of The Nightmare Before Christmas," they mean Henry Selick. Tim Burton created the story for The Nightmare Before Christmas, but he did not direct it. Henry Selick also directed Monkey Bone and James and the Giant Peach (Though not Corpse Bride, as it turns out, though I thought he had.)

I've been looking forward to Coraline for a few years now. I love the book, Neil Gaiman is brilliant. The movie looks gorgeous, but already there are a few changes that send up some red flags for me. Well, here's hoping. )(

BTW, if anyone else loves the book, you should try The Theif of Always by Clive Barker. They have a very similar feel to them, though the stories are different.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
No it isn't, I'm afraid. When they say "By the director of The Nightmare Before Christmas," they mean Henry Selick. Tim Burton created the story for The Nightmare Before Christmas, but he did not direct it. Henry Selick also directed Monkey Bone and James and the Giant Peach (Though not Corpse Bride, as it turns out, though I thought he had.)

I've been looking forward to Coraline for a few years now. I love the book, Neil Gaiman is brilliant. The movie looks gorgeous, but already there are a few changes that send up some red flags for me. Well, here's hoping. )(

BTW, if anyone else loves the book, you should try The Theif of Always by Clive Barker. They have a very similar feel to them, though the stories are different.
Yep, and Burton's lack of involvement is what makes me kinda wanna see Coraline. Burton is given far too much credit for Nightmare' (granted, much of the visual design was his) but Selick's direction, animation and conceptual design are often ignored and Burton's contributions exaggerated.

Don't get me started about Tim Burton films.....
angry-smiley-114.gif

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
angry-smiley-114.gif
Burton is better when he pays more attention to story and character development than visual style. Big Fish and Ed Wood are his best films to date, IMO, because he stepped away from his habit of favoring visual style over substance when he made those two.

Nanda

Polyanna
My favorite movie of all time is Edward Scissorhands, which has both, and in my opinion, is Burton at his best.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Yes, I am always excited about movie adaptations to Gaiman's books.
I read the book a couple or more years ago, and like the rest of his work I enjoyed it.

I was expecting a Good Omens movie (to be directed by Terry Gilliam) but the project has not taken off.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter

I'll ask my mom if she has it in her book shop, and if not, I'll look on half.com. :D Thank you for the suggestion.

Circle_One

Yep, and Burton's lack of involvement is what makes me kinda wanna see Coraline. Burton is given far too much credit for Nightmare' (granted, much of the visual design was his) but Selick's direction, animation and conceptual design are often ignored and Burton's contributions exaggerated.

angry-smiley-114.gif

Just popping in to say... uh oh, we've found something we DON'T have in common.... I happen to have a deep love for Tim Burton... (I have Jack and Sally tattooed on the back of my arms :D).