• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concern about Atheism

The Neo Nerd

*SIGH*

Atheism is NOT a belief system.

It is simply a lack of belief in a god AND THAT IS IT

Anything else they believe has NOTHING to do with atheism.

footprints

Ok I caught up to all your writings. I understand your views. I would like to point out I am an atheist knows there is no god and believe anyone can easily prove this if they are truthful and test all their beliefs.

I have known you were an atheist from your first post.

We can all prove our own belief patterns, that you can prove yours to yourself, is something I was also fully aware of. You wouldn't hold the beliefs that you do otherwise.

footprints

*SIGH*

"SIGH,"

Atheism is a belief pattern. Part of that belief, is to believe, they don't have a belief.

footprints

Just like that lack of belief in leprechauns is a belief system. Right?

I cannot tell you if little people ever existed or not. If you answer one way or the other, you should already know, you have a belief pattern.

My belief pattern, I cannot tell you logically, rationally nor reasonably, whether little people ever existed, nor can I even tell you where leprechauns came from, was it a story, is it a myth, or is it a legend? A leprechaun is said to be no bigger than a small child.

Could it be possible, that there are midgets in the world? Heaven forbid, what rational, reasonable and logical person would believe that. Surely, everybody is the same size, aren't they?:no:

Tristesse

I cannot tell you if little people ever existed or not. If you answer one way or the other, you should already know, you have a belief pattern.

My belief pattern, I cannot tell you logically, rationally nor reasonably, whether little people ever existed, nor can I even tell you where leprechauns came from, was it a story, is it a myth, or is it a legend? A leprechaun is said to be no bigger than a small child.

Could it be possible, that there are midgets in the world? Heaven forbid, what rational, reasonable and logical person would believe that. Surely, everybody is the same size, aren't they?:no:

Is a belief "pattern" the same as a belief system? Because, I'm not sure what you mean by "pattern."

Jeremiah

Yes, and another thing, I find it funny that atheists make the exact same claim as Muslims. Muslims claim we're all born Muslim, atheists claim we're all born atheist, LOL.

Yet atheists (as in someone who lacks/rejects belief in god and/or gods) have been around long before Muslims and will be so long after.

But really is just a linguistic overlap, there are more then just one definition for the word atheist. A person is technically born as an atheist, as I doubt at that stage they can even comprehend a concept like gods much less believe in one. Although I think it can be said that most everyone is technically an atheist, especially Muslims with their one true god.

So while we may not be able to call an new born a believer, just due to their naivety, neither can we call them a skeptic (despite the fact they may be called an atheist), for the same reasons.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Yet atheists (as in someone who lacks/rejects belief in god and/or gods) have been around long before Muslims and will be so long after.

But really is just a linguistic overlap, there are more then just one definition for the word atheist. A person is technically born as an atheist, as I doubt at that stage they can even comprehend a concept like gods much less believe in one. Although I think it can be said that most everyone is technically an atheist, especially Muslims with their one true god.

So while we may not be able to call an new born a believer, just due to their naivety, neither can we call them a skeptic (despite the fact they may be called an atheist), for the same reasons.
there were atheists before Christians. before there was religion there were atheists.
"But we can surely call a new born: Agnostic"

dogsgod

True, the new born are simply atheists by default.

footprints

Is a belief "pattern" the same as a belief system? Because, I'm not sure what you mean by "pattern."

A belief pattern relates to the human brain. The human brain operates on patterns (relationships of association due to dendrite to synapse connection). Birds of a feather, create a belief system. In other words, a person in a belief system, be this theism, atheism et al, is in that positon due to the belief pattern they personally hold or the way their brain personally relates and associates to the deity question.

Kerr

*SIGH*

Good point. Atheism is as much of a belief system as a lack of belief in, say, big foot.

Last edited:

footprints

i have a belief, all anyone has is beliefs. the truth is therefor Agnosticism.

Agnosticism is my belief, my belief isn't the right belief for everybody.

Agnosticism has no truth. An agnostic cannot rationally nor logically say, whether a deity exists or not, or whether any deity has ever existed. I differ from many agnostics though, I don't believe this knowledge is unknowable, I believe we will have this knowledge in time.

footprints

True, the new born are simply atheists by default.

LOL, Now I wouldn't go that far dog, I wouldn't say all atheists were dumb and had no knowledge. Albeit I can understand where you are coming from, some do just whinge and cry, seem to always have wind and crap all over the place.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I strongly suspect that religions and religious paths are no more effective in bringing about enlightenment and/or a significant change in moral behavior than a placebo would be.

The Neo Nerd

I believe that the belief in a higher power is embedded into the human psyche.

That being said, i don't believe this belief manifests itself until a certain stage has been reached in the mental development of the child.

I think that those that hold onto the thought that atheism is a belief work from the assumption that belief in a god is the primary state and the truth. If this is the case then atheism would be a belief.

I guess it come backs to which side you are sitting on.

I hope that made sense.

-Q

dogsgod

I believe that the belief in a higher power is embedded into the human psyche.
I don't believe that for a second. It's a meme that is passed on from generation to generation, I still remember the day my mother sat me down and explained God to me, just before my first day of school. She obviously wanted me to hear it from her first, before I heard of some false god from someone else.

Diederick

Okay, so I've seen atheists say before that they wouldn't mind having a completely atheistic world, because they don't need religion for morals. Wouldn't that technically only work if the people in that world were good people by nature? Like what if the people were really bad, and the society started to get more and more corrupt? Then what would atheists do to get the society back to functioning?
If the world would be without religious pretences, there would still be bias. Fortunately that bias would no longer have any ground to stand on, so it would be less to no part in political progress. Which brings me to this:

There will still be law without religion. And humans, like all other animals, do not need religion to tell us what is right and what is wrong.

This means stem cell research will be allowed because there is no valid argument against it. This means homosexuals get to marry eachother, because there is no valid argument against it. This means human foetuses can be used as stem cell farms, because they don't feel anything and there is no valid argument against it. This means Sunday is no longer a day without labour, because there is no valid argument for it. Etcetera.

The world would be a more efficient and more human place, when religious bias makes way for rational consideration. It'd probably be a better place in my opinion.

The Neo Nerd

I don't believe that for a second. It's a meme that is passed on from generation to generation, I still remember the day my mother sat me down and explained God to me, just before my first day of school. She obviously wanted me to hear it from her first, before I heard of some false god from someone else.

Yes some would me by it through being told by their parents or by some other significant person.

But historically almost EVERY single culture known to man has come up with some form of higher power. There has to be something imbedded in the human psyche to account for this.

dogsgod

Yes some would me by it through being told by their parents or by some other significant person.

But historically almost EVERY single culture known to man has come up with some form of higher power. There has to be something imbedded in the human psyche to account for this.
And every society is not without their sceptics.