• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College students unclear about Free Speech - FIRE

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
If I understand correct there is no problem there except that the number of people on the latter category should be much higher.

I'm guessing 100% of the rest of them would change their view as soon as someone insults them publicly.
libel and slander are not protected forms of speech, nor is speech that tends to incite violence or panic...although it is a very rare situation that would see preemptive censorship by the government. Whether or not 'insults' qualify as protected free speech is still a gray area, and it is difficult to prove libel or slander...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
How does punishing intolerant and hateful speech violate the principle of free speech?
If it's punished, you aren't free to say it. And, honestly, I would rather have our system than one where it is criminally illegal to deny the Holocaust. We could do better in regards to speech that can reasonable be understood to incite violence and discrimination, but people are intolerant and often become more intolerant when they can't express their views.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If it's punished, you aren't free to say it. And, honestly, I would rather have our system than one where it is criminally illegal to deny the Holocaust. We could do better in regards to speech that can reasonable be understood to incite violence and discrimination, but people are intolerant and often become more intolerant when they can't express their views.
I notice that even some here on RF are sympathetic to government
restricting offensive speech. What horror would they envision if
they were to grant that power, & then see Trump re-elected?
People....those critters are not inclined to consider all consequences, eh.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I notice that even some here on RF are sympathetic to government
restricting offensive speech. What horror would they envision if
they were to grant that power, & then see Trump re-elected?
People....those critters are not inclined to consider all consequences, eh.
Trump would get for more years of restricting speech in government science research, which he has already done.

Shad

Veteran Member
That is the problem with free speech absolutionists to think that you should absolutely say whatever you want whenever is the major problem. Free speech protects you from the government, not the rest of society. If certain speech is disruptive to the tranquility of an environment especially when learning is involved, it needs to be mitigated. Not a hard concept.

Tranquility is vague and can be applied in contexts in which the harm is merely being uncomfortable with a spoken fact. Apply your idea to cults.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member

Thought crimes. One can not merely be wrong they must be punished! 1+3=5. Off with their head!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
According the to survey of 2225 U.S. college students linked to below:

- 96% think it's important to have their rights and liberties (e.g. free speech) protected on campus.
- But 57% think that "offensive" or "intolerant" views should be restricted.

Apparently, many students are unclear on the concept of free speech.

https://d28htnjz2elwuj.cloudfront.n...4349/Student-Attitudes-Association-Survey.pdf
What? College students are inconsistent in their beliefs? How can that be when non-collect people and older adults are perfectly clear and consistent about what they believe.

The answer is that it's all the brain's fault. How Your Brain Makes You Hold Contradictory Beliefs

Rational Agnostic

How does punishing intolerant and hateful speech violate the principle of free speech?

Who decides what is hateful and intolerant? What I see as being hateful and intolerant, you may not, and vice versa. The problem is the subjectivity. There is no objective definition of "hateful" and "intolerant." For instance, I see many verses of the Bible and Qur'an as being hateful and intolerant, but I am not in favor of banning the public reading of them. And, in any case, the first amendment wasn't made to protect popular speech, because popular speech does not need special protection. Only unpopular speech needs protection.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

- 96% think it's important to have their rights and liberties (e.g. free speech) protected on campus.

https://d28htnjz2elwuj.cloudfront.n...4349/Student-Attitudes-Association-Survey.pdf
I think the consensus is it's free speech, as long as it agrees with me.

They're pretty screwed-up people.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

It's interesting how the attitudes of college students change over the decades.

Back in the 60s, they used to fight for civil rights, free speech, peace, love.

By the time I got to college in the 80s, we had to fight for our right to party. I suppose that's a part of free speech.

But now, I'm not so sure.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
That is the problem with free speech absolutionists to think that you should absolutely say whatever you want whenever is the major problem. Free speech protects you from the government, not the rest of society. If certain speech is disruptive to the tranquility of an environment especially when learning is involved, it needs to be mitigated. Not a hard concept.
You can't just yell fire in a crowded theater. Speech has consequences

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Do you ever want to meet me in IRL and talk the crap you do on here and see if something you will not like happens? @Revoltingest
You think thats somehow unique? Through my time in the military and living in this godforsaken state I've heard just about everything and anything directed at me. I really don't care. It doesn't mean a goddamn thing.

And I'll protect your right to say it too.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Students?
Just look at the adults here on RF.
The Constitution is despised, ignored, misread, & even uncapitalized !!!
Of course, I can forgive ignant ferriners, but the Ameristanians should know better.
With half the population harboring IQs below 100 (25% are "Dull Normal" or below) I'm not so sure.

Audie

Veteran Member
Students?
Just look at the adults here on RF.
The Constitution is despised, ignored, misread, & even uncapitalized !!!
Of course, I can forgive ignant ferriners, but the Ameristanians should know better.

We newcomers are often the best educated and most
patriotic.

I am hardly from a 3rd world s hole, but one does not
have to be to appreciate the USA for what it is.

Id like to see all these whiners and complainers go overseas
for a year at least. No, not the cote d'azure or new zealand.

Cambodia. Uruguay. Cameroon. One of those.
Or China. Make your own way in one of those
societies. See if it suits, or
why newcomers
actually appreciate America.

We dont even want a civil war so we
can kill those unpatriotic americs haters
who make up the other 50%!!

Americans are so freakin' entitled!

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
That's my point. The OP is presenting that impression that there are no limits when in truth they're just applying their own interpretation of "acceptable speech".

Nope. The tacit context here is that we're talking about how free speech is currently defined in the U.S. It's not absolute - for example you cannot incite imminent violence - but it does allow for offense giving.