• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College students unclear about Free Speech - FIRE

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
According the to survey of 2225 U.S. college students linked to below:

- 96% think it's important to have their rights and liberties (e.g. free speech) protected on campus.
- But 57% think that "offensive" or "intolerant" views should be restricted.

Apparently, many students are unclear on the concept of free speech.

https://d28htnjz2elwuj.cloudfront.n...4349/Student-Attitudes-Association-Survey.pdf
I suspect many students are from foreign countries, but I'd bet about 20% or more of those students responding about offensive and intolerant views are from the US. That is a guess. Something that goes unmentioned in the reprt are that there are many privately funded colleges that don't truly represent students in state universities. If we're talking about American students then the report needs to discuss which results are from the American students, but it doesn't differentiate from the large number of foreign students. That is a huge problem for this report.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
they are the product of a public education system that no longer includes coursework in civics during high school...I was amazed at how few of my students had any real inkling about the Constitution and the court interpretations the affect their lives.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I suspect many students are from foreign countries, but I'd bet about 20% or more of those students responding about offensive and intolerant views are from the US. That is a guess.

Not sure I understand your guess here, are you guessing "only 20%" or "at least 20%" or... ?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
they are the product of a public education system that no longer includes coursework in civics during high school...I was amazed at how few of my students had any real inkling about the Constitution and the court interpretations the affect their lives.
Students?
Just look at the adults here on RF.
The Constitution is despised, ignored, misread, & even uncapitalized !!!
Of course, I can forgive ignant ferriners, but the Ameristanians should know better.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Students?
Just look at the adults here on RF.
The Constitution is despised, ignored, misread, & even uncapitalized !!!
Of course, I can forgive ignant ferriners, but the Ameristanians should know better.
But would you forgive an ignorant farrier? Or an indignant terrier? That's what I want to know.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Reminds me of this one lady I was in a class with, and she got highly offended because the teacher showed a documentary that shows the harsh reality of the war on drugs, including the CIA's involvement in dealing coke in America. How can facts be offensive?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Reminds me of this one lady I was in a class with, and she got highly offended because the teacher showed a documentary that shows the harsh reality of the war on drugs, including the CIA's involvement in dealing coke in America. How can facts be offensive?
Half of facts are, generally.
It's about challenging one's weltanschauung.

Look at all the scowling now....stating it in German is offensive.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Not sure I understand your guess here, are you guessing "only 20%" or "at least 20%" or... ?
I'd need statistics on the percentage of foreign students, and then I'd take a chunk out of the 57% based on that. I'd multiply the 57% by 1 - %foreign to give a representation, albeit still mixed and inaccurate. They just didn't collect that data that they needed, because they didn't explain what happened to all of those foreign exchange students who'd back to China, to Russia, to UK, to Europe etc. where the ideas of free speech and the laws are different from ours.

It also doesn't say the students were randomly selected, so that shoots any statistical study in the groin. We've no idea where the mean value is. Suffice it to say that the implications are still shocking but may be only 10% shocking instead of 57%.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I'd need statistics on the percentage of foreign students, and then I'd take a chunk out of the 57% based on that. I'd multiply the 57% by 1 - %foreign to give a representation, albeit still mixed and inaccurate. They just didn't collect that data that they needed, because they didn't explain what happened to all of those foreign exchange students who'd back to China, to Russia, to UK, to Europe etc. where the ideas of free speech and the laws are different from ours.

It also doesn't say the students were randomly selected, so that shoots any statistical study in the groin. We've no idea where the mean value is. Suffice it to say that the implications are still shocking but may be only 10% shocking instead of 57%.
In skimming over the report, also I didn't see any sort of accounting for state or region of the country, nor anything about public vs. private nonprofit vs. private for-profit institutions...

HonestJoe

Are you saying that someone can only support free speech if they support entirely unconditional free speech? You can disagree with where they draw the line of acceptable free speech but that doesn't mean they've failed to understand the fundamental principle.

Shad

Veteran Member
Are you saying that someone can only support free speech if they support entirely unconditional free speech? You can disagree with where they draw the line of acceptable free speech but that doesn't mean they've failed to understand the fundamental principle.

The term "acceptable speech" is subjective.

Wasp

If I understand correct there is no problem there except that the number of people on the latter category should be much higher.

I'm guessing 100% of the rest of them would change their view as soon as someone insults them publicly.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
According the to survey of 2225 U.S. college students linked to below:

- 96% think it's important to have their rights and liberties (e.g. free speech) protected on campus.
- But 57% think that "offensive" or "intolerant" views should be restricted.

https://d28htnjz2elwuj.cloudfront.n...4349/Student-Attitudes-Association-Survey.pdf

That is the problem with free speech absolutionists to think that you should absolutely say whatever you want whenever is the major problem. Free speech protects you from the government, not the rest of society. If certain speech is disruptive to the tranquility of an environment especially when learning is involved, it needs to be mitigated. Not a hard concept.