• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas is over...

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Now that I'm getting accustomed to the medicine changes given to me, as well as getting over the emotional rebound of discovering things I didn't like about the faith I tried to be a part of, and getting over real life folks making me celebrate a holiday on their terms rather than my own... I'm going to set sights on going back to my roots, of being a Democrat with a fire that keeps them going. Wouldn't kill me to be more bipartisan, though. At least I realized where I should stand.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I think that a proper understanding of truth, personally, leads one to be neither Republican nor Democrat. I'm not there yet though, so I still have the habit of using labels.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I try to differentiate between members of the Trump party and Republicans. I may totally disagree on policy but anyone who puts ethics and morality ahead of slavish loyalty to one person is OK by my book.

Thus while I disagree on their theology, I honor Christianity Today for putting their commitment to Jesus ahead of politics.

I won't be voting Trump. The worst I might do is not be able to decide, and not vote for anyone.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I won't be voting Trump. The worst I might do is not be able to decide, and not vote for anyone.
That might be the best way to go. That way, no one can blame you for putting someone in office when they do crazy things!

Lol.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
That might be the best way to go. That way, no one can blame you for putting someone in office when they do crazy things!

Lol.

That’s the beauty of being a JW....no voting....then when things go belly up you can just put up your hands and say....”don’t blame me, I didn’t put him/her there”. :D

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
That’s the beauty of being a JW....no voting....then when things go belly up you can just put up your hands and say....”don’t blame me, I didn’t put him/her there”. :D
I know, that’s what I was thinking...we’re free from any blame.

PureX

Veteran Member
Not voting just tells the politicians that you don't care what they do in office. All you care about is avoiding any responsibility. So that they don't have to consider you at all.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Now that I'm getting accustomed to the medicine changes given to me, as well as getting over the emotional rebound of discovering things I didn't like about the faith I tried to be a part of, and getting over real life folks making me celebrate a holiday on their terms rather than my own... I'm going to set sights on going back to my roots, of being a Democrat with a fire that keeps them going. Wouldn't kill me to be more bipartisan, though. At least I realized where I should stand.

I lean fairly liberal, but I don't identify as a democrat or any other political party. This blind loyalty and uncritical tribalism surrounding partisanship has been turned up to a fevered pitch, and that should disturb anyone regardless of their political leanings. Parties aren't sports teams and politicians aren't idols/heroes. It's one thing to vote for the candidate who most closely matches your own views, but to fall to your knees and lick their boots? There is a serious cultural problem.
So be passionate about your principles, but don't conflate that with toeing the line.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I was a life long Republican, until Trump came along. I was willing to forgive the many flaws I saw with the party. But last election I still did not vote Democratic. I live in a very blue state. I did not have to worry about Trump winning here so I made my displeasure known with a third party vote. But Trump has only gone from bad to worse. I do not think I will be voicing my displeasure with them this time around.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Lol.

Not voting just tells the politicians all that you don't care what they do in office. All you care about is avoiding any responsibility. So that they don't have to consider you at all.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
But, as the old saying goes, "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

There is nothing intrinsically evil with voting in an election any more than there is trying to settle a dispute within one's own family-- both are political in nature.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Well evidently I am one of the few that are not allowed to use words with asterisks in them so let's try this from a religious stand point:

Don't vote, don't kv**ch.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Not voting just tells the politicians all that you don't care what they do in office. All you care about is avoiding any responsibility. So that they don't have to consider you at all.
Not to mention giving the edge of more voting power to the rest of those who do vote.

I have to admit it's tiresome to always see choices constantly being the lesser of 'two evils'.

PureX

Veteran Member
Not to mention giving the edge of more voting power to the rest of those who do vote.

I have to admit it's tiresome to always see choices constantly being the lesser of 'two evils'.
There is a solution to that. You can vote for a third party candidate. You can vote against every incumbent, every time, in every election, regardless of their party affiliation. The more people do this, the more the system is going to have to start paying attention to us. Don't accept their lousy candidates. Don't accept their partisan party BS. They're all crooked and we all know it. So let's kick them out, and keep kicking them out until they start representing the people again, instead of their wealthy corporate sponsors.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
But then you get no delicious birthday cake.

LOL...... you think we don't eat cake???? We get to eat delicious cakes 364 other days. :)

You slaves to tradition are hoodwinked into believing that we are somehow deprived....I assure you we are not.

You are the ones missing out. We get presents all year round....especially nice when you don't expect them. Our kids never have to wait for a special date on the calendar to feel the love.

We can have kids parties any time of year. No one has to wait for an "event" to receive a present. There is no 'special' kid, because all the kids are 'special'. Instead of getting the presents, often the host gives gifts to all the other children.

We give when we can afford it, and we have family get togethers at any time we want. I don't think most people ever understand how enslaved they are to the commecial system. :rolleyes:

It's nice to be free of all of that. :D

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Not voting just tells the politicians that you don't care what they do in office. All you care about is avoiding any responsibility. So that they don't have to consider you at all.

Since Jesus told us to be "no part of the world" (John 18:36) and that satan rules this world, (1 John 5:19) we will never participate in any political activity because if you share in putting them in office, it means that you bear individual responsibility for what those ones do with power you helped to give them.

We stay right out of all of it.....we don't rely on man to provide what we need. Politics just divides people. We don't have those divisions.

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Then don't cry should your religious exemptions and privileges be voted away.

Biblical precedents show that 'appeals to Caesar' were employed by the apostles when injustice was carried out towards them and their activities.

We have no control over what politicians do or the laws they implement. They don't answer to us...they will answer to the God who allows their existence as a way to keep some semblance of order until he brings in his own global rulership....his Kingdom.

The justice system has no real regard for God's laws, but injustice is injustice, regardless of what the law says. Look at the recent abortion laws....?

International law means that we have redress to those courts for human rights abuses. We have won many of those cases.