• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changing the world?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
What can one ordinary person do to change the world?

And by "change the world" I mean "significantly alter it for the better"

HonestJoe

That depends on how you're defining "significantly". In the long term, everything any individual person does throughout their life will eventually melt away to nothing, if anything when the Sun consumes the Earth though almost certainly long before that.

We can each change the world for the better in relatively small, short term ways though but given our experiences are relatively small and short term, that's the most relevant bit anyway. Few of us will have a huge impact and it's difficult for those having a huge impact to make it especially positive as a consequence, so I think that is a counter-productive aim. If instead, we each made just one a small, simple, positive change, even if it's to the life of just one other person, it could all add up to something much more significant.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
If instead, we each made just one a small, simple, positive change
I agree with what you said

I noticed you used the word "we"

The people with power who are happy to see our planet destroyed are very good as acting as a "we"...

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Encourage people with good idea's. The more people you encourage the better your results will be.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Embrace a more universal perspective of our physical and spiritual nature than the ancient tribal religious views.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Whose better?

I tend to answer these inquiries with "no" because there is no "better" without making value judgements, and value judgements are inevitably a matter of opinion. Can one make "the world" conform to one's particular vision of it in terms of values? I think the better question is - is that a good idea? And whose values loose out (because someone's will)?

Daemon Sophic

@Eddi
Reduce or eliminate meat and dairy from one's diet.

Reduce, re-use, recycle.

Think globally, act locally.
^^^ These two.....
...and I might also suggest:
Invent something useful, discover something, and/or make something better than it already is.
Whether its a better mousetrap, or FTL drive. Such discoveries/inventions can stay with and improve humanity eons after you’re dust.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Whose better?

I tend to answer these inquiries with "no" because there is no "better" without making value judgements, and value judgements are inevitably a matter of opinion. Can one make "the world" conform to one's particular vision of it in terms of values? I think the better question is - is that a good idea? And whose values loose out (because someone's will)?
We are overheating the world and have probably initiated the next great extinction. Who would not judge a change in our behaviour to be something for the "better." Whose values lose out? The CEOs of oil companies?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In the interests of the long-term common good

Common good is a myth.

I mean that in the religious sense of what myth means (aka, sacred story), not myth-as-lie. It's a story we tell ourselves about the world that is a reflection of our values and what is important to us. It is something we regard as deeply true, even though it is not objectively true. When we assess what the "common good" is we frame it in terms of our particular cultural norms. In practice this means we consider the "common good" from the vantage point of "my people/tribe" to be rather than all people/tribes. We know that different peoples have quite different needs, especially the non-human persons who human persons often fail to consider in the "common good" altogether.

Thus inevitably I return to the question - whose "common good?"

Tambourine

We do not exist or act as single persons, but as parts of a human society.

And because we can only exist and act in a collective, meaningful change can also only be implemented by collectives working together to create a better world, both for us and for everyone else.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
We do not exist or act as single persons, but as parts of a human society.

And because we can only exist and act in a collective, meaningful change can also only be implemented by collectives working together to create a better world, both for us and for everyone else.

Wishful thinking. Humans have, and can, operate as a single entity since the beginning of time.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
but He died .....trying

Well, actually, that's part of the great Christian myth. Jesus conducted a campaign to change the inner man, not the outer individual. His teachings were directed at achievement of a world not seen by mere mortals. He, also, was able to transcend the plane of awareness that people of the time accepted as reality through his supernatural miracles and resurrection. I like to refer to Jesus as a bridge between what we accept as real and what we hope is real. The Urantia Book lays this out very nicely, btw.