• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can humans achieve Godhood?

Is it wrong for humans to believe that they can achieve Godhood?

• Yes. (for any reason)

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • No.

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters

Neptune

1) That is a myth. We use all of our brains, our consciousness only has access to a part of it because the rest of it is optimally dealt with the subconscious or unconsciousness.

2) So if I see someone being raped I should not interfere?

3) Then if you embraced yourself you would also embrace these "impure" feelings.

1) yes indeed, or its something that some people want to stay hidden but thats another matter. And i am sotty i wanted to type "if thats true".

2)If you are an ascended being no more than what a normal human would do.You just mustnt reveal to the world what you've become because each individual must reach that point by them selves.

3) As i said in a post before : "Pushing away these devious thoughts/feelings that humans have in their mind if the first step of a long road."

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
1) yes indeed, or its something that some people want to stay hidden but thats another matter. And i am sotty i wanted to type "if thats true".

2)If you are an ascended being no more than what a normal human would do.You just mustnt reveal to the world what you've become because each individual must reach that point by them selves.

3) As i said in a post before : "Pushing away these devious thoughts/feelings that humans have in their mind if the first step of a long road."

1) So you would rather believe that your unscientific intuition is correct and that almost every last one of the world's scientist that have studied the brain are lying?

2) Then how do you know about ascended beings?

3) But you cannot embrace your true self and suppress part of yourself that is a contradiction.

Neptune

1) So you would rather believe that your unscientific intuition is correct and that almost every last one of the world's scientist that have studied the brain are lying?

2) Then how do you know about ascended beings?

3) But you cannot embrace your true self and suppress part of yourself that is a contradiction.

1) i didnt say i fully believe it or that i dont. Its a theory, i am just not certain who says the truth on that part.

2) How do humans know that God created this world?Or that he exist? They dont. They want to believe it.Lets just say these are my beliefs.

3)Ok, true but your words contradict my theory. I mean i didnt say "embrace your true self" i said "be true to your self".

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Peace be on you.
Belief-wise: [Quran ch112 : v5] ‘And there is none like unto Him.’
Logic-wise: A perfect God should have no similars/equals.
Observation-wise: People are born and die.

1) Unproven document

2) No one mentioned a perfect god.

3) So does that mean there is no afterlife because we do not see it?

arthra

Baha'i
Well a couple of things come to mind... there are people who believe humans can become God or "achieve Godhood". Some believe God is everything...
Some have had mystical experiences and believe they are close to God.. I tend to accept the later idea .. that we are capable of having mystical experiences but that these experiences do not mean we "can become God" or that God is everything.

There are spiritual "pitfalls" I would call them when we believe we can become God or be part of the Godhead or "Godhood"....there is an expression in Hinduism that is widely known called “Aachaarya Devo Bhavah” "Guru is God"...in practice I believe this has caused harm and misunderstandings.

Now many believe that Jesus was God... or Jesus is God. In my belief God was manifest in Him but He was not God "incarnate".

There are some patients in hospital that say they are "God" as well .. They feel a need for omnipotence to possibly compensate for their own feelings of inadequacies.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What are we to understand by Godhood for the purposes of this thread?

Several people have been understood to be Gods in various ways. Some are trivial, others of questionable existence, others quite meaningful.

I keep being surprised that people jump into these threads looking like they somehow expect others to share their understanding of what "God" means when it is fairly obvious that they do not.

SpeaksForTheTrees

Hello everyone! So i randomly came across this thread http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/humans-achieving-godhood.146152/#post-3274859 and i decided to register and bring up this matter again.I read what a lot of people said and of course i respect everyones opinion and religion, but to be honest i am dissappointed..
I will answer any questions on the matter but i cant just write here for everyone because one must be willing to listen.
Godhood , sounds disgusting ..

ak.yonathan

I think that one way to achieve godhood would be through the technological singularity. If that's the case than whether or not humans can become gods depends on what will happen when that event occurs (if it does). If our brains are augmented to become superintelligent or our consciousness is merged with that of a computer than we will become gods, however if computers themselves become superintelligent than no we will not become gods.

Reflex

It's a major tenet in Mormonism, and I agree with that much. But but one has to distinguish between big "G" and little "g."

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's a major tenet in Mormonism, and I agree with that much. But but one has to distinguish between big "G" and little "g."
Yes, it is a major tenet of Mormonism, and I agree with you that one has to distinguish between big "G" and little "g." The Latter-day Saints are frequently accused of believing that they can, at some point in the future, become "gods." Understandably, to many who do not fully understand our doctrine, the mere idea is out-and-out heresy. So, in describing LDS theology on this subject, I would start by clearing up two huge misconceptions about what we believe:

(1) We do not believe that any of us will ever be equal to God, our Eternal Father in Heaven. He will always be our God and we will always worship Him.
(2) Nothing we could possibly do on our own could exalt us to the level of deity. It is only through the will and grace of God that man is given this potential.

I've never understood why some people find this such an offensive doctrine. What father would not want his children to attain their full potential?

Reflex

I've never understood why some people find this such an offensive doctrine. What father would not want his children to attain their full potential?
Me too. In some form or another, it's a rather common idea.

We "can hardly hope to be perfect in the infinite sense, but it is entirely possible for human beings, starting out as they do on this planet, to attain the supernal and divine goal which the infinite God has set for mortal man; and when they do achieve this destiny, they will, in all that pertains to self-realization and mind attainment, be just as replete in their sphere of divine perfection as God himself is in his sphere of infinity and eternity. Such perfection may not be universal in the material sense, unlimited in intellectual grasp, or final in spiritual experience, but it is final and complete in all finite aspects of divinity of will, perfection of personality motivation, and God-consciousness."

Kelly of the Phoenix

God of the bible clearly dislikes the idea we can become like Him, which implies you CAN become like Him, or else there's nothing to complain about. The God of Genesis may only have really been a god because both trees had been eaten from, which is kinda what the story of Adam and Eve implies. Many ancient cultures felt magic fruit, spells, etc could land you into godhood (usually meaning "you're gonna live a really really really long time, maybe with superpowers too").