• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can humans achieve Godhood?

Is it wrong for humans to believe that they can achieve Godhood?

• Yes. (for any reason)

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • No.

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
God of the bible clearly dislikes the idea we can become like Him, which implies you CAN become like Him, or else there's nothing to complain about.
If He doesn't like the idea that we can become like Him, and if we can, despite whether He likes it or not, we are already more powerful than He is. I completely disagree that He doesn't want us to become like Him. I think that's exactly what He does want.

I'm curious, do you think He knew Adam and Eve would end up eating the forbidden fruit? If the answer is "yes," and if He didn't want them to eat it, why did He even put the tree there in the first place? If the answer is "no," are you suggesting that He was just so totally clueless that these two creations He'd made were able to outsmart Him?

Neptune

No. Please read the text again.

It says OUR image. That is from a time when the Israelites worshipped a family of deities. There was no one god at that time
I think you are confused.. the text is exactly like this, and also there is this as well:

Genesis 1:27. So God created man in his own image — In his natural, but especially in his moral image, with an habitual conformity of all his powers to the will of God, his understanding clearly discerning, his judgment entirely approving, his will readily choosing, and his affections cordially embracing his chief good; without error in his knowledge,disorder in his passions, or irregularity or inordinancy in his appetites; his senses also being all inlets to wisdom and enjoyment, and all his faculties of body and mind subservient to the glory of God and his own felicity! But man being in honour did not abide, but became like the beasts that perish! What cause we have for thankfulness that this image of God may be restored to our souls, and how earnestly ought we to pray for, and how diligently to seek this most important of all attainments! Male and female created he them — Not at once, or both together, as some have unscripturally taught, but first the man out of the earth, and then the woman out of the man.

Also i am not talking about man-made Gods.

Last edited:

Kelly of the Phoenix

If He doesn't like the idea that we can become like Him, and if we can, despite whether He likes it or not, we are already more powerful than He is. I completely disagree that He doesn't want us to become like Him. I think that's exactly what He does want.

I'm curious, do you think He knew Adam and Eve would end up eating the forbidden fruit? If the answer is "yes," and if He didn't want them to eat it, why did He even put the tree there in the first place? If the answer is "no," are you suggesting that He was just so totally clueless that these two creations He'd made were able to outsmart Him?
How are we more powerful? We can be less than up to equal to, no? That He does not like it does not mean anything other than He doesn't like it, not that He can't stop it. The OT version of God is VERY clear (not just in A&E's story, but the Tower of Babel, as well, and others): try to be like Him and have a REALLY bad day. It is Jesus who encourages us to be like Him, but one teaching ... does it negate the countless others where all who tried to be like Him are severely punished?

I don't see evidence that the author "J" or whatever had any inkling of an all-knowing deity when writing. He IS clueless. Instead of teaching His creations, He lets them eat, murder, etc. By the time of the Flood, there are countless people He could have shown the Way and must not have, because supposedly they were doing bad things. He is as incompetent as many other Canaanite deities were around that time. Omniscience and omnipresence and omnipotence ... those are characteristics that evolved later, around the time the Greeks got involved, most likely. God is written as not being able to control two beings who have the portrayed psychological developmental skills of 7 year olds.

Erebus

Hello everyone! So i randomly came across this thread http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/humans-achieving-godhood.146152/#post-3274859 and i decided to register and bring up this matter again.I read what a lot of people said and of course i respect everyones opinion and religion, but to be honest i am dissappointed..
I will answer any questions on the matter but i cant just write here for everyone because one must be willing to listen.

Well, to me a god is something that is considered worthy of worship. This means that what is or isn't a god has to be decided by the individual and therefore leaves a lot of room for interpretation. It also means that humans can indeed be considered gods. The classic example would be the various roman emperors who were deified. A more contemporary example might be a musician who attracts worship from their most ardent fans. Those people might well be thought of as gods by some.

There's also the Western Left Hand Path traditions that tend to either worship the self as a god or seek apotheosis of the self.

Personally, I don't view any human as a god. While there are certainly people who've earned my respect, none have earned my worship.

A Vestigial Mote

2)If you are an ascended being no more than what a normal human would do.You just mustnt reveal to the world what you've become because each individual must reach that point by them selves.

So, since you seem to know so much about this - are you "ascended"? If not, then why not? Oh wait... according to the above post, you can't tell me, right? Let's say you are "ascended", then isn't creating this thread and surreptitiously "hinting" about all of this sort of "interfering with the flow" of the world?

There are many of these "You've just got to believe in yourself!" posts and messages around - all hinting at that being the road to some form of enlightenment or higher form of being. But the people posting these things don't seem to have mastered it themselves - so how do they even know this "works?" In my opinion, these sorts of expressions are the "buzz words" of spirituality. Nice to look at and may make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, but I feel that the person who sees past the fluff will come to realize they are ineffectual and insubstantial.

Thanda

God of the bible clearly dislikes the idea we can become like Him, which implies you CAN become like Him, or else there's nothing to complain about. The God of Genesis may only have really been a god because both trees had been eaten from, which is kinda what the story of Adam and Eve implies. Many ancient cultures felt magic fruit, spells, etc could land you into godhood (usually meaning "you're gonna live a really really really long time, maybe with superpowers too").

God told the Israelites to be holy because he was holy - clearly he wanted them to become like him. What he didn't want is people who had no idea what it took to be a good presuming that they were

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
God told the Israelites to be holy because he was holy - clearly he wanted them to become like him. What he didn't want is people who had no idea what it took to be a good presuming that they were

Why do you think God was so obsessed with the Israelites, forgetting thereby all other cultural groups on earth?

Ciao

- viole

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
....Nothing stops two or more people being perfect
Peace be on you.
The system runner is One Perfect --- that was I meant.

They are born and they go to another realm. They don't stop existing
Again, people are born and die --- Here question is not going to any other realm; Islam tell Hereafter.....The point is God is not born and does not die [or going to another realm]. A Perfect God has to be in all realms.

lostwanderingsoul

Here is a way of looking at it. If a dog has puppies, those puppies grow up to be dogs.. If a cat has kittens, those kittens grow up to be cats. It is the same with all other animals. So the Bible says humans can become God's children. Wouldn't it make sense that a child of God could grow up to be a God? Maybe this human existence is just the "baby" years of our lives and we will be "gods" when we grow up.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Here is a way of looking at it. If a dog has puppies, those puppies grow up to be dogs.. If a cat has kittens, those kittens grow up to be cats. It is the same with all other animals. So the Bible says humans can become God's children. Wouldn't it make sense that a child of God could grow up to be a God? Maybe this human existence is just the "baby" years of our lives and we will be "gods" when we grow up.
Bible talks about many 'sons of God'....It was idiomatic use.......
e.g. "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. [Matthews 5:9]
Listen, O heavens, and hear, O earth; For the LORD speaks, "Sons I have reared and brought up, But they have revolted against Me. [ Isa iah 1: 2]

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
You are absolutely right. Furthermore, while most Christians today see this as a heretical teaching, it was commonly taught by many of the early Christian fathers. It's just one of many Christian doctrines that has been lost over the centuries.

In the second century, Saint Irenaeus said, “If the Word became a man, it was so men may become gods.” He also posed this question: “Do we cast blame on Him (God) because we were not made gods from the beginning, but were at first created merely as men, and then later as Gods?” At about the same period of time, Saint Clement made this statement: “The Word of God became a man so that you might learn from a man how to become a god.” And Saint Justin Martyr agreed, saying that men are “deemed worthy of becoming gods and of having power to become sons of the highest.” Some two centuries later, Athanasius explained that “the Word was made flesh in order that we might be enabled to be made gods. He became man that we might be made divine.” And, finally, Augustine, said, “But He that justifies also deifies, for by justifying he makes sons of God. For he has given them power to become the sons of God. If then we have been made sons of God, we have also been made gods.”

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Don't think so. Like they are separate from God? They are their own 'god'? (being separate from God makes no sense in my religion)
That's because your religion makes no sense . . . confusion and maya is rampant in Hinduism IMO

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
The idea that someone can absolve into something like Brahmin, which is the goal of both Dakṣiṇācāra and Vāmācāra.
About Dakṣiṇācāra and Vāmācāra: they are of Tantric sects of Hinduism. They aren't orthodox. As for absorbing into Brahman (i'm assuming that's what you meant why would we absolve God) That is an Advaita view. That the atman and Brahman are the same. No differences. I'm not an Advaitin. I am a Vishishtadvaitin, one who believes the soul (atman) is the same, but with difference. I don't believe there is any Maya influence here

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
About Dakṣiṇācāra and Vāmācāra: they are of Tantric sects of Hinduism. They aren't orthodox. As for absorbing into Brahman (i'm assuming that's what you meant why would we absolve God) That is an Advaita view. That the atman and Brahman are the same. No differences. I'm not an Advaitin. I am a Vishishtadvaitin, one who believes the soul (atman) is the same, but with difference. I don't believe there is any Maya influence here
Understood, and thank you for clarifying that.
What would you say 'is' the goal of Orthodox Hinduism then?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Understood, and thank you for clarifying that.
What would you say 'is' the goal of Orthodox Hinduism then?
The goal of all of Hinduism is simple. To attain Moksha. this frees us from this material life and ends the cycle of reincarnation. Advaita is but one tradition of Vedanta, the most popular orthodox school. There are differences between schools, but Hinduism is here to attain moksha and be with God. In my sampradaya (tradition) When we attain moksha, we go to Sri Vaikuntham, a place outside of space and time, completely unimaginable by us, which is Vishnu's (our God) abode and be with him and worship him still, just that in Vaikuntham the ecstasy of God is overwhelming. Advaita is the merging of soul and God. Ask an advaitin if you want to know more :)

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
What does this mean?
Just like i said. Moksha frees us from this material life and ends the cycle of reincarnation. We are with/absorb into God. There are methods to attain moksha. To become emancipated from life.