• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can humans achieve Godhood?

Is it wrong for humans to believe that they can achieve Godhood?

• Yes. (for any reason)

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • No.

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters

lostwanderingsoul

Dawud Talut talks about idiomatic use of the term. But is John 1:12 idiomatic? "but as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name." And why does the Lord's prayer say "our father" if there is not some special parent/child relationship? This physical life on earth is just a time of preparation for our true purpose, to be with God as His true children and to share His "Godness"

Thanda

Why do you think God was so obsessed with the Israelites, forgetting thereby all other cultural groups on earth?

Ciao

- viole

He wanted them to become his special forces. He wanted to give them all the training of how to be righteous so that they could be an example to other nations of the world that had gone astray.

Neptune

So, since you seem to know so much about this - are you "ascended"? If not, then why not? Oh wait... according to the above post, you can't tell me, right? Let's say you are "ascended", then isn't creating this thread and surreptitiously "hinting" about all of this sort of "interfering with the flow" of the world?

There are many of these "You've just got to believe in yourself!" posts and messages around - all hinting at that being the road to some form of enlightenment or higher form of being. But the people posting these things don't seem to have mastered it themselves - so how do they even know this "works?" In my opinion, these sorts of expressions are the "buzz words" of spirituality. Nice to look at and may make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, but I feel that the person who sees past the fluff will come to realize they are ineffectual and insubstantial.
Of course if i was i wouldnt say it but, since i am "hinting" as you say i am not right? Maybe i am someone that thinks he found the way and wants to share that knowledge with the other people.It doesnt matter if no one listens i did my part and tried, as i said each person must make his/her own choices.Yeah maybe none will even take this seriously but if 1 does and if i am right then it wouldnt have been without reason.
And about what i am..I am no God for sure, but i do believe that i am "The God" of my life.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Not sure which to pic, but I chose "yes" because there is no way a human can reach Godhood since at least one nature of God in one view is impossible to reach. I say this out of a logical view, not just a belief. Believing in achieving something we can never achieve is something that completely does not make sense.

The nature of God I'm talking about is that of Islam. In Islam, God never sleeps, never feel sleepy, knows everything and his power covers everywhere.

Now, the debate is about reaching Godhood, not the nature of God. Debating with my post would only be within the topic in whether humans can reach the state that they can never sleep, never feel sleepy, know every thing and have their power covering everywhere, otherwise it would be off-topic, which is against the rules :D. So, can they (we)?

;)

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
We can ascend to being Elohim/Avatars, which to many is a god.... Yet these are better described as Arch Angels, Ascended masters, etc; they have reached sitting in the council of gods (Elohim), as it is called in the Bible, Gita, etc.

God its self, is like the CPU manifesting reality from the consciousness inputted into it....No being can become like God; yet they can be like angels, and all of us are divine in some way.

The confusion comes from the Jews making stuff up; Genesis was saying we're made in the image of Elohim, not in the Image of God (as there isn't one), and it breaks the 2nd commandment. :innocent:

A Vestigial Mote

Of course if i was i wouldnt say it but, since i am "hinting" as you say i am not right? Maybe i am someone that thinks he found the way and wants to share that knowledge with the other people.It doesnt matter if no one listens i did my part and tried, as i said each person must make his/her own choices.Yeah maybe none will even take this seriously but if 1 does and if i am right then it wouldnt have been without reason.
And about what i am..I am no God for sure, but i do believe that i am "The God" of my life.

The way I see it, the two possibilities are these:

1. You have not "ascended", and therefore have no idea if it is even possible, and are therefore no better a proponent or "mentor" for this "path" than I am.
2. You have "ascended" and are now meddling with the flow of humanity like you said you shouldn't be doing by attempting to propagate your knowledge in this thread.

So you can at least see why I would maintain my skepticism.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
He wanted them to become his special forces. He wanted to give them all the training of how to be righteous so that they could be an example to other nations of the world that had gone astray.

What? The aborigenes in Australia also went astray? Seems like that flood did not work wery well ;) Forgetting for a moment that God forgot to explain them Jesus during their training, apparently. Not important, probably.

Isn't simpler to pustulate that the Israelites made up a God that took them in particular consideration? It seems, prima facie, a pretty natural and human thing to do. I would say, vastly more plausible than a God that creates the whole Universe, zillions of galaxies, life, etc. just to focus on a tribe in the middle East of a planet on the periphery of one of those galaxies.

Don't you think?

Ciao

- viole

Thanda

What? The aborigenes in Australia also went astray? Seems like that flood did not work wery well ;) Forgetting for a moment that God forgot to explain them Jesus during their training, apparently. Not important, probably.

Isn't simpler to pustulate that the Israelites made up a God that took them in particular consideration? It seems, prima facie, a pretty natural and human thing to do. I would say, vastly more plausible than a God that creates the whole Universe, zillions of galaxies, life, etc. just to focus on a tribe in the middle East of a planet on the periphery of one of those galaxies.

Don't you think?

Ciao

- viole

God created Adam and Eve and taught them about himself and his laws. People multiplied and spread out. Many diverted from the true path. That is why it seems a natural thing for most cultures around the world to have a god of some sort that they worship.

That seems the simpler explanation to me.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
God created Adam and Eve and taught them about himself and his laws. People multiplied and spread out. Many diverted from the true path. That is why it seems a natural thing for most cultures around the world to have a god of some sort that they worship.

That seems the simpler explanation to me.

Yes, and probably most of those gods love the respective cultures and people that worship them, and forget the rest. For some reason.

But I am not sure I understand you correctly. Do you believe in a literal Adam and Eve, while not objecting to the evolution of homo sapiens? That is a bit confusing.

What about training only them, then? He could even have implemented some sort of homeschooling. Minimal effort for maximal audience :) And if it did not work for two people who were cohabiting with Him, I wonder how could God hope to make it work for many who do not even see Him.

Ciao

- viole

buddhist

Hello everyone! So i randomly came across this thread http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/humans-achieving-godhood.146152/#post-3274859 and i decided to register and bring up this matter again.I read what a lot of people said and of course i respect everyones opinion and religion, but to be honest i am dissappointed..
I will answer any questions on the matter but i cant just write here for everyone because one must be willing to listen.
Yes, IMO there is an innate desire among all volitional creatures to want to constantly better him or herself or their immediate environment. This basic desire (along with the desire to avoid suffering) drives us upwards towards godhood (or to at least become an avatar, or "son of god"); and, even then, to surpass godhood into achieving nibbana.

Unfortunately, the evils in this samsaric world perverts that innate desire and redirects individuals' upward-leaning energies into other avenues to prevent their ascent (e.g. war, consumerism, etc.)

Yoshua

First before i say anything i mean no disrespect to you ot your religion and i would even be interested in reading about it.
In my country most people are Christian.In that thread i saw before (link above) there are even Christian people saying that its outrageous for humans to think that they can achieve Godhood and that humans are not special etc.But their religion says that God created man in his own image and likeness, which would mean that human has the pontential to achieve Godhood.Also yes i do believe each person is unique, and yes believing in something helps us, makes us stronger but have you tried really believing in yourself?
Hi Neptune,

God created us in his own image does not mean you are duplicated as God Almighty for He said there is no God beside me. Human was created without sin and blameless, that is a creation in His own image.
Isaiah 45:5
5. "I am the Lord, and there is no other;
Besides Me there is no God.
I will gird you, though you have not known Me;

Thanks

Neptune

The way I see it, the two possibilities are these:

1. You have not "ascended", and therefore have no idea if it is even possible, and are therefore no better a proponent or "mentor" for this "path" than I am.
2. You have "ascended" and are now meddling with the flow of humanity like you said you shouldn't be doing by attempting to propagate your knowledge in this thread.

So you can at least see why I would maintain my skepticism.

In case that i already have "ascended" it seems that i am meddling with the flow and probably i am in a small way but still i am just trying to make people to look into this matter i am not saying how to achieve it or which path to take.
Now in case that i havent then yeah i wouldnt be sure if its possible or not but the fact that i'm saying those things probably means that i know more about you on the specific matter so i would be a better mentor actually, or i could just be some random guy that wastes eveyones time here. It doesnt matter who i am..You are the one who has to make the choice and see me as a mentor, a regular person in the forums or some guy that has nothing better to do. And this is how life works as well according any matter.Some people believe in God and Jesus, some believe they are part of something greater,some believe that no greater power exists, I choose to believe in myself.

Neptune

We can ascend to being Elohim/Avatars, which to many is a god.... Yet these are better described as Arch Angels, Ascended masters, etc; they have reached sitting in the council of gods (Elohim), as it is called in the Bible, Gita, etc.

Interesting i'd say..Did you read this in some book? Do you remember which one it is? I'v found some books about Elohim/Nephilim but they werent decent to be honest..

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Interesting i'd say..Did you read this in some book?
Psalms 82:6 I said, "You are Elohim, And all of you are sons of the Most High.

There are lots of books out there on the topic; yet most go off into some tangent... It is in the Bible; yet that was more from personal experience. :innocent:

A Vestigial Mote

Now in case that i havent then yeah i wouldnt be sure if its possible or not but the fact that i'm saying those things probably means that i know more about you on the specific matter so i would be a better mentor actually.

Ahh... but how do you know for sure that I haven't already "ascended"?

Kelly of the Phoenix

Jesus is said to be divine and said even miniscule faith can move mountains. Satan, during his temptation, also said Jesus could jump off a cliff and angels would catch him. He did neither of those things, nor did he resurrect John the Baptist after being beheaded. So, where does this leave Jesus?

ak.yonathan

Jesus is said to be divine and said even miniscule faith can move mountains. Satan, during his temptation, also said Jesus could jump off a cliff and angels would catch him. He did neither of those things, nor did he resurrect John the Baptist after being beheaded. So, where does this leave Jesus?
Good question, however he did perform a lot of miracles as recorded in the Gospels. So Jesus is not against proving his divinity.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
As someone who was selective in deciding to perform a miracle maybe?