• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can humans achieve Godhood?

Is it wrong for humans to believe that they can achieve Godhood?

• Yes. (for any reason)

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • No.

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't think so. Like they are separate from God? They are their own 'god'? (being separate from God makes no sense in my religion)

Neptune

First before i say anything i mean no disrespect to you ot your religion and i would even be interested in reading about it.
In my country most people are Christian.In that thread i saw before (link above) there are even Christian people saying that its outrageous for humans to think that they can achieve Godhood and that humans are not special etc.But their religion says that God created man in his own image and likeness, which would mean that human has the pontential to achieve Godhood.Also yes i do believe each person is unique, and yes believing in something helps us, makes us stronger but have you tried really believing in yourself?

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
First before i say anything i mean no disrespect to you ot your religion and i would even be interested in reading about it.
In my country most people are Christian.In that thread i saw before (link above) there are even Christian people saying that its outrageous for humans to think that they can achieve Godhood and that humans are not special etc.But their religion says that God god created man in his own image and likeness, which would mean that human has the pontential to achieve Godhood.Also yes i do believe each person is unique, and yes believing in something helps us, makes us stronger but have you tried really believing in yourself?

The interesting thing about it is that Christianity is predicated on the idea that absolute power = absolute moral authority.

Neptune

The idea of wanting to become a god is not wrong, what they would want to do with such power is different.
A person with harmful intentions wouldnt achieve Godhood..Also a person who had achieved that spiritual level wouldnt give that knowledge to others because he would realise that each individual must realise what to do on their own.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
I person with harmful intentions wouldnt achieve Godhood..Also a person who had achieved that spiritual level wouldnt give that knowledge to others because he would realise that each individual must realise what to do on their own.

I was referring to this "Is it wrong for humans to believe that they can achieve Godhood?".

Neptune

I was referring to this "Is it wrong for humans to believe that they can achieve Godhood?".
Yes of course, i just wanted to clear that part as well..Also i do believe the idea of "wanting to become a God" is wrong . Even if it is the same thing the way one sees it matters. Believing in human potential isnt wrong, but seeking an ultimate power is. The first one can give you hope but the second can drive you insane.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Yes of course, i just wanted to clear that part as well..Also i do believe the idea of "wanting to become a God" is wrong . Even if it is the same thing the way one sees it matters. Believing in human potential isnt wrong, but seeking an ultimate power is. The first one can give you hope but the second can drive you insane.

I believe that the intention behind a belief is more important than the belief itself.

Neptune

I believe that the intention behind a belief is more important than the belief itself.
Indeed, but If you're not true to your self and your beliefs arent pure then how would you reach that spiritual level?Pushing away these devious thoughts that humans have in their mind if the first step of a long road.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Indeed, but If you're not true to your self and your beliefs arent pure then how would you reach that spiritual level?Pushing awaythese devious thoughts that humans have in their mind if the first step of a long road.

This assumes that humans are in their heart only good and that good is objective when you have not shown either to be true.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The experience of god...

There is a kind of experience that apparently occurs when subject/object perception comes to an abrupt halt while some form of experiencing continues on. Since the experiencing no longer involves a division of the perceptual field into subject and object, there arises a sense of the oneness of all things within the perceptual field, or -- in other cases -- an experiencing of the One as the whole of the perceptual field. Both the sense of oneness and the experience of the One have been called "god" by some, but not by all, of the people who've had this sort of rare experience. That is, for some, this is the "achievement" of godhood since there is no distinction during the experience between self and god, given that the self no longer exists and the oneness or One is identified as god.

Neptune

This assumes that humans are in their heart only good and that good is objective when you have not shown either to be true.
You have to believe in your self if you really do as much as believing you can do anything then you have no reason to harm anyone and if you feel nice you want to share that feeling. Though a God or a human that would have achieved Godhood would be neither good or evil.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
You have to believe in your self if you really do as much as believing you can do anything then you have no reason to harm anyone and if you feel nice you want to share that feeling. Though a God or a human that would have achieved Godhood would be neither good or evil.

believing you can do anything is possible is simply not true so why would one believe it?

If you believe you could save thousands by killing one person why would you not feel inclined to do so?

If you feel good then how come people who fall prey to their base desires usually do not share that feeling.

And why would becoming a god make one not want to help others?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hello everyone! So i randomly came across this thread http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/humans-achieving-godhood.146152/#post-3274859 and i decided to register and bring up this matter again.I read what a lot of people said and of course i respect everyones opinion and religion, but to be honest i am dissappointed..
I will answer any questions on the matter but i cant just write here for everyone because one must be willing to listen.

In my faith, there is no concept of god that people can become. We are all a part of the whole, source, however one calls it. So, we are god. I wouldn't use that term, though, if that is more abrahamic.

Neptune

believing you can do anything is possible is simply not true so why would one believe it?

If you believe you could save thousands by killing one person why would you not feel inclined to do so?

If you feel good then how come people who fall prey to their base desires usually do not share that feeling.

And why would becoming a god make one not want to help others?

1. That is what you believe because life taught you so, because since you were born you are told what you can and you cant do. Also some scientists say that humans use only 5-10% of their brain if they used 100% then what would be possible and what not?

2.You must not intervene with the flow of the world , each person must make his own choices. This answers "And why would becoming a god make one not want to help others?" too.

3.Of course there are unpure feelings inside humans.Also there are many people that do share those feelings, maybe not with everyone but at least with the ones close to them.

Neptune

In my faith, there is no concept of god that people can become. We are all a part of the whole, source, however one calls it. So, we are god. I wouldn't use that term, though, if that is more abrahamic.
Indeed this is a very interesting belief and a very beautiful way to look at the world.Especially if you feel that you are part of the "whole", that idea could bond people between them.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
1. That is what you believe because life taught you so, because since you were born you are told what you can and you cant do. Also some scientists say that humans use only 5-10% of their brain if they used 100% then what would be possible and what not?

2.You must not intervene with the flow of the world , each person must make his own choices. This answers "And why would becoming a god make one not want to help others?" too.

3.Of course there are unpure feelings inside humans.Also there are many people that do share those feelings, maybe not with everyone but at least with the ones close to them.

1) That is a myth. We use all of our brains, our consciousness only has access to a part of it because the rest of it is optimally dealt with the subconscious or unconsciousness.

2) So if I see someone being raped I should not interfere?

3) Then if you embraced yourself you would also embrace these "impure" feelings.