• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can an Atheist be a Mystic?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I am not sure that such a subset even exists in real life, let alone that it is majority of my atheist brothers and sisters.
Probably then we are using the term ‘materialism’ differently. What is your definition?

Mine implies that all things are reducible to material/physical interactions.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Probably then we are using the term ‘materialism’ differently. What is your definition?

Come to think of it, I don't think I use that word very often at all.

But the people that you describe by that term do not look like real, actual people to me.

Mine implies that all things are reducible to material/physical interactions.
And that does not sound like something that a typical atheist would agree with.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
"a person who seeks by contemplation and self-surrender to obtain unity with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or who believes in the spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect."
It can't be a deity or the absolute,

The spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect is illogical so it is not rational.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
"atheism rejects the existence of gods in favor of a "higher absolute", such as humanity. This form of atheism favors humanity as the absolute source of ethics and values, and permits individuals to resolve moral problems without resorting to God. Marx and Freud used this argument to convey messages of liberation, full-development, and unfettered happiness."

Yes. This one. I for one do not believe in deities. So there is at least one.

Edit : When I have experiences I do not contribute them to something outside of me but rather from inside. It can then alter my positions on the reality outside of me. It is near or impossible to put descriptive words to "experiences" as everyone who experience them have a different subjective perspective.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Not all atheists are materialistic. One could say that skeptics do not do metaphysics, since they are evidence based, but it is a bit too far to claim that all atheists cannot do so.

Then please point to me prominent atheists that believe in metaphysics? I've studied too much David Hume!

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Come to think of it, I don't think I use that word very often at all.

But the people that you describe by that term do not look like real, actual people to me.

And that does not sound like something that a typical atheist would agree with.
Well, if you are not sure of the definition of 'materialist' then I am not sure how you can think it does or doesn't apply to most atheists.

Here is Wikipedia's definition: Materialism is a form of philosophical monism which holds that matter is the fundamental substance in nature, and that all things, including mental aspects and consciousness, are results of material interactions.

Now, can you give me something a typical atheist believes in that is beyond materialism. For example I believe in higher non-material/physical realms and the primacy of consciousness which would make the term 'materialist' not apply to me.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I can't think of any prominent ones. Raelians may qualify. I was pointing out that your claim was a bit too broad.

That atheists believe in empirical evidence, and that what they see and can be verified scientifically through replication? That the material world is the only thing that is true and that any incorporeal world or beings are untrue because they cannot be verified. That description is too broad?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That atheists believe in empirical evidence, and that what they see and can be verified scientifically through replication? That the material world is the only thing that is true and that any incorporeal world or beings are untrue because they cannot be verified. That description is too broad?
Yep. It is better to say that atheists lack a belief in god or gods and leave it at that. It is a rather big tent. Being an atheist does not necessarily mean that one is immune to woo.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Yep. It is better to say that atheists lack a belief in god or gods and leave it at that. It is a rather big tent. Being an atheist does not necessarily mean that one is immune to woo.

You do realize metaphysics and mysticism is attached to the god concept right? Anything that is incorporeal and abstract is just that. You cannot measure mysticism scientifically.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You do realize metaphysics and mysticism is attached to the god concept right? Anything that is incorporeal and abstract is just that. You cannot measure mysticism scientifically.

It is not exclusive to that concept. Not all atheists are rational. I try to be, but I am not going to say that one can't be an atheist and be irrational.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Attached to a god concept? Did you read the OP?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
As to atheists being mystics I can find you testimonials by atheists that believe in Reiki, it does not get much more mystic or woo woo than that.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Attached to a god concept? Did you read the OP?

You just simply googled the word that doesn't necessitate any rational fact.

It was said in the OP

"or who believes in the spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect."

God is conceptually a spirit beyond the intellect. Anything that is incorporeal and immeasurable is associated metaphysics and to experience metaphysics is called mysticism.