• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can an Atheist be a Mystic?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
(I have edited post no. 119.)

Is first person report of taste of mango the actual taste of mango?

Is a map it's terrain? Of course not. But can't you tell when two people refer to a terrain whether or not they are referring to the same terrain?

atanu

Premium Member
Is a map it's terrain? Of course not. But can't you tell when two people refer to a terrain whether or not they are referring to the same terrain?

This example is not correct in respect of any subjective experience.

Further, I request your comment on "apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect."

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This example is not correct in respect of any subjective experience.

All experiences are subjective. How is it not "correct"?

Further, I request your comment on "apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect."

To me, atheists can -- and do -- apprehend truths beyond that intellect. For instance, the truth that one is perceiving a oneness of all things during a mystical experience. Much -- or all -- of that is apprehended beyond the intellect, albeit it might later be interpreted by the intellect to, say, be an experience of god.

atanu

Premium Member
To me, atheists can -- and do -- apprehend truths beyond that intellect. For instance, the truth that one is perceiving a oneness of all things during a mystical experience. Much -- or all -- of that is apprehended beyond the intellect, albeit it might later be interpreted by the intellect to, say, be an experience of god.

Everyone touches the non dual in deep sleep. But that is explained away as a state of waking state brain.

I will stop here sir.

Last edited: