• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can all religions lead to God?

MonkeyFire

So you're speaking of the God described in the Hebrew scriptures, yes? And you believe every religion can lead us to this God? How so?

It's the God of all scripture including the dharma. He's found in the Abrahamic religions by name, but he isnt limited to a single planet.

izzy88

It's the God of all scripture including the dharma. He's found in the Abrahamic religions by name, but he isnt limited to a single planet.
Can you cite some specific quotations from other scriptures that show they're describing the same God the Hebrew scriptures describe?

MonkeyFire

Can you cite some specific quotations from other scriptures that show they're describing the same God the Hebrew scriptures describe?

If there can only be one all great religion then every individual religion must go to naught all together or make peace in their dogma and share. Like Hindus bring sex, Buddhist bring buddha, and so on so forth Christians must believe and share in YHWH.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

If you’re saying that’s only one name of an infinite God with infinite names and forms, and is not the vengeful bloody God of the Old Testament, or that the more benevolent God Jesus taught of is not the only God, I can largely accept it. There is only one God as far as I’m concerned. It’s what people have done to his image that is the problem.

एकं सद्विप्रा बहुधा वदन्ति
ékaṃ sád víprā bahudhā́ vadanty
“One Truth the sages know by many names...” Ṛg Veda 1.164.46

However, this doesn’t necessarily mean that all religions or beliefs, or views of God are the same.

izzy88

If there can only be one all great religion then every individual religion must go to naught all together or make peace in their dogma and share. Like Hindus bring sex, Buddhist bring buddha, and so on so forth Christians must believe and share in YHWH.
I don't know what that means, but it's not an answer to my question.

izzy88

Many people who are considered humble and tolerant will say that all religions are useful for "bettering" oneself and have a similar core message: kindness and love toward your neighbor. Proselytizing is considered to be cruel and intolerant.

1. Isn't this avoiding the "truth" question? They cannot all logically be completely true if they contradict each other on core thing such as who "God" is?

2. Is it really arrogant and intolerant for someone to believe that he knows the truth and that it is loving to share that truth with others?

All religions cannot lead to God directly, but all of them can certainly help us along the path, in my experience. For instance, studying Taoism for a couple years helped me gain a more accurate understanding of God as taught by Catholicism when I eventually began studying it.

But you're very right that all religions cannot possibly lead to truth because many of them make contradictory claims. You really just have to study them for yourself and follow the truth wherever it seems to be leading you. And when you discover that the religion you're studying has true internal contradictions or falsehoods, you keep on moving. Of course, you want to be as certain as you can that these contradictions or falsehoods aren't just cases of you failing to accurately understanding what's being taught, so don't drop something the moment you find an apparent problem. I've lost track of how many apparent problems I've found in Catholicism which ended up being nothing but my own lack of understanding - and sometimes it took months of research and study to figure that out. But it was worth putting so much effort into it because I had already found so much truth in the other teachings.

So, as I said, just keep following the truth wherever it leads you, and that may be through several different religions, but no more than one of them can be the actual destination, because there's only one truth.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hindus bring sex? What? You want to clarify?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I intend to go along with the words that talk is cheap.

Talkin about what you think is truth and actual truth can make for quite a contrast.
Yes, it is. Of course you probably know the question that Pontius Pilate asked Jesus: "What is truth"? And then allowed Jesus to be put to death even though he found no fault in him.
John 18:37,38: “For this reason I was born and have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to My voice.”38“What is truth?” Pilate asked."

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Truth is virtue and nothing intellectually mysterious or complex. So I pursue the virtues and maybe God therein.

Some is big, some is small, some not at all.

Religion is an interesting vehicle. Lots of stories with fewer explanatories. I want to know what God's motives are; what makes God tick. Consistency and clarity are the standards to measure God by. What makes peace, what makes love, who are the shining examples, and what's the foundation of all these religions.

Why would a man have to jump through so many hoops, so many rules, so many requirements?

If the truth was so complicated that only the most skillful can acquire it then it probably isn't true. What achievement, what submission must one make?

Trouble with past religions is that they have this one and only way to God and all others who are not in the way are considered adversaries and thus we have great divides.

My only method is self examination whereas i am not out to judge others so quickly. I have to measure myself against simple standards of the highest worth. If I find peace, if I find love inside whereas I am not conflicted, and I'm not so entrenched against others then isn't that finding God. If I love what's right, and eschew evil by nature self desire to do so then aren't I finding truth.

We all have to find everything out for ourselves. So it's probably best that we get to know ourselves beyond what any man or religion teaches. After that I may ask what is the highest standard of good and where do I stand in terms of it. And how is anybody sure they have that standard? Isn't every man looking at every other man's actions to see what they produce? Are their higher ways that mankind don't know about? What are the limits of human nature? How do I test everything? Try the reigns!

The words in the world's holy books, I find there can be great truthes in them, but I never could take all of what they say as the absolute truth. Do you think we can distill these books into a great unified truth? No matter what you do to these religions to unify them would take omissions.

I bypass these religions and seek plain simplicity. Anything contrived doesn't get my vote of confidence. I say the answer is no.

MJFlores

1. Isn't this avoiding the "truth" question? They cannot all logically be completely true if they contradict each other on core thing such as who "God" is?

source.gif

This is what the Lord God told everyone to watch out for - false religions headed by false prophets

Jeremiah 14:14 New International Version (NIV)
Then the Lord said to me, “The prophets are prophesying lies in my name. I have not sent them or appointed them or spoken to them. They are prophesying to you false visions, divinations, idolatries and the delusions of their own minds.

These people are not sent or appointed
God did not spoke to them
They are telling lies in God's name
Their visions are false, and their teachings are from their minds
So how can they lead to God???
Do they bring hope or destruction when we follow them?

Jeremiah 23:16 New International Version (NIV)
This is what the Lord Almighty says:

“Do not listen to what the prophets are prophesying to you;
they fill you with false hopes.
They speak visions from their own minds,
not from the mouth of the Lord.

Maybe these there are few false religions led by few false prophets would deceive only a few?
This is what the Bible says:

Matthew 24:11 New International Version (NIV)
and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people.

2. Is it really arrogant and intolerant for someone to believe that he knows the truth and that it is loving to share that truth with others?

giphy.gif

When you know 100% that is wrong and you do nothing what is that called?
This is what the Bible truth says:

James 4:17 New International Version (NIV)
If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.

Milton Platt

Many people who are considered humble and tolerant will say that all religions are useful for "bettering" oneself and have a similar core message: kindness and love toward your neighbor. Proselytizing is considered to be cruel and intolerant.

No. some religions are non theistic/deistic.
And any way, lead to which god?

Etritonakin

God will lead all to him in the order he will.

Biblically, some are called by God to the first resurrection for a specific purpose -and judged/purified now -some simply were not.
"The rest of the dead" will eventually be judged according their works -not specific beliefs.
Some who have done good works will be given eternal life then -others will be "saved, yet so as by fire".

No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

1: No.
Some eat rice&dal&veggies, others eat bread&chapattis&veggies. Both grow.

2:Trick question: As long as you believe "sharing is okay" usually nobody objects, unless they are mind readers. The problem might start when you start actually sharing.

When actually sharing:

2:Yes if you proselytize
2:No,if you share adding the magic word IMHO
a)If asked then speak is a golden tip

b)If you believe you know the truth then wait till you know, before telling others that you know.

c)If you know the truth then "go ahead" and tell

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks for all the responses.

1: No.
Some eat rice&dal&veggies, others eat bread&chapattis&veggies. Both grow.

2:Trick question: As long as you believe "sharing is okay" usually nobody objects, unless they are mind readers. The problem might start when you start actually sharing.

This analogy makes sense if the goal of religion is for individuals to engage in disciplines that will "better" themselves in some way. But I could do this just as easily as an atheist. Correct me if I am wrong, but I understand that a Hindu is striving to be free from karma, or continuous reincarnation through things like devotion to deities, meditation on the Brahman, or certain certain ceremonies and rights. In contrast, Christians believe and follow a historical figure, Jesus, who they believe came from God to provide the only way for them to be restored to a good relationship with their Creator. You also have Jews, Buddhists, New Age Spirituality, Islam, ect.
Neither of these views is silly. However, what is truth?

Does the response of the other person make "sharing" right our wrong? Of course, we all know that everything one does must be done in love and humility. That is universal language.
This is more what I am getting at. What if there was only one true religion that answers the fundamental problem with mankind? Would it not be right to share that truth with everybody you see? in an excited manner... like you were bringing some good news!

No one likes to be told that they are wrong. I don't. But I'm very grateful for those people who care enough about me to tell me that at times.

Trouble with past religions is that they have this one and only way to God and all others who are not in the way are considered adversaries and thus we have great divides.

I don't like division either. However, what if there is only one way to God?
Also, you seem to be seeking truth "for yourself." Is there a universal truth? Is it possible that humans are incapable of finding this ultimate truth on their own, and that they need external revelation?

cataway

if there is only one way to God then it falls on all wanting to be recognized by God to find out what God expects. any deviation of what God expects would be a failure and would subject the alleged wannabe worshiper to a 'who are you' from the true God.