• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can all religions lead to God?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
say that all religions are useful for "bettering" oneself
"can be useful" I might say.

have a similar core message: kindness and love toward your neighbor.
Yes. I even read somewhere "Love is the Greatest Commandment"

Isn't this avoiding the "truth" question?
You might have missed "The Greatest Commandment".

Proselytizing is considered to be cruel and intolerant
True for the ones being proselytized, I think.

Is it really arrogant and intolerant for someone to believe that he knows the truth and that it is loving to share that truth with others?
Here you phrase it very humble, even I can't object
1) You ask a question instead of making a claim
2) You say "believe" he knows
3) You suggest "share" instead of claim

Would you choose as above, or proselytize?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Proselytizing is considered to be cruel and intolerant.
2. Is it really arrogant and intolerant for someone to believe that he knows the truth and that it is loving to share that truth with others?
I gave a "useful" frubal to the OP, because, before starting to proselytize, you asked whether or not it's 'okay' to proselytize.

That's a great start, before stating to proselytize

ManSinha

I actually support @A Vestigial Mote's position here - any kind of proselytizing whether it by JW's "witnessing" or Imam's trying to convert people is an insult to the person being addressed with the proselytizer arrogantly and smugly assuming that their way is the only way. I know enough about the major religions that if anyone tries that s*** on me I can put them in their place with ease - and I admit I take a perverse delight in doing so. Have had several conversations on RF where those I am addressing have run away declining to continue the conversation.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
And you need to broaden your rather limited and pathetic knowledge about the vast Indic religious collection - start with the Vedas and then go on to the Upanishads and the Gita - to name a few
Then come back and talk about "Hinduism"

Sadly, this 'understanding' is way too common. Even sadder is how little we can do about it. I've occasionally tried really hard to demonstrate the level of ignorance about the dharmic faiths, only to have the individual(s) 'dig in'. I've come to see many times it's just not worth the effort. Anava knows few boundaries.

But please keep doing what you're doing, Brother.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sorry it's spelled kama sutra.
Okay. A rare 'scripture' indeed for Hindus, but yes. It got sensationalised because of the western fixation on sexuality. Vedas, Upanishads, Ithasas, Agamas, Puranas and many more would be considered Hindu scripture.

Hindu scripture encompasses a vast array of life.

But sure.

Milton Platt

Yes good point. This is why it comes back to the truth factor. Even atheists are making a "truth claim" about God.

The only claim made by most atheists is that they do not think there is evidence sufficient to warrant a belief in any of the gods presented thus far.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Moralities can certainly be puzzling.
My logic for god, however, is that I find it inconceivable that we are created by the objects.
You are not created by objects but by this - Energy. That is what we started with at the time of Big Bang, and nothing other than this existed.
All things in the universe are constituted by this.

proxy-image

ManSinha

I've been passive all my life without being taught, so maybe your the pathetic one.

If you want to spell out your ignorance and unwillingness to learn on the internet - that is fine with me
As for me being pathetic - you know nothing about me - that is simply a diversion from your poorly worded and ignorant posts about Hinduism - get a life - calling others names without justification does not get one anywhere - I called your knowledge pathetic and you are doing ad hominem attacks - sure bring it on let us see how far you get

I notice you have no counter to the first part of my post - perhaps truth striking home got you upset?

ManSinha

Sadly, this 'understanding' is way too common. Even sadder is how little we can do about it. I've occasionally tried really hard to demonstrate the level of ignorance about the dharmic faiths, only to have the individual(s) 'dig in'. I've come to see many times it's just not worth the effort. Anava knows few boundaries.
Indeed - I have challenged many with posts directly from the Gita - only to be met with silence - my impression - they have no answer but are unwilling to examine their beliefs - a sure sign to me of indoctrination

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Evidence for the Christian God seem to lie in the powerful historical occurrence of Jesus' perfect life, his death, and his resurrection. .. Yes, I look at the world through the lens of the Christian worldview. We all have a worldview, but which one is the truth?
Rather, I must seek to align myself with the truth.
However, I can observe the amazing evidence He has given us. Like I said, the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus is so compelling!

Where did the universal virtues come from?
Hardly perfect right from the 'immaculate conception'. And not at all historical (resurrection). Why should I not look at the story with a unbiased view rather than a Christian or a Muslim worldview. How can you get to truth if you are looking through a Christian lens?
With a Christian worldview, you hardly even have the desire to seek truth.
Compelling? In what way? It is right through the creation, a bundle of contradictions.

Now that is a good question. They come from the Society. There are no universal virtues. All virtues are subjective.
We are. God in heaven is our father. There is nothing to traverse. There is no "not".
There are things to understand, however. (Not saying I understand them, mind you)
But the way you are saying it seems to say that you know it all. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Indeed - I have challenged many with posts directly from the Gita - only to be met with silence - my impression - they have no answer but are unwilling to examine their beliefs - a sure sign to me of indoctrination
All part of the dance. I affirm to not react, but to understand.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think what is universally true is the virtues. Beyond that we would need revelations. I don't see much evidence for a benevolent creator. Perhaps Brahman is a candidate for the reason we exist.
Oh no, Osgart. No more revelations. We already got many from the time of Akhenaten or Zoroaster. What we need is more research from science.