• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can all religions lead to God?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"Can all religions lead to God?": Problem with the first premise of the question. Is there a God to be led to?
"Is it really arrogant and intolerant for someone to believe that he knows the truth and that it is loving to share that truth with others?": If there is no God to be led to, then the person is sharing nothing with anyone else, only selling his brand of snake-oil.

Last edited:

Hawkins

Many people who are considered humble and tolerant will say that all religions are useful for "bettering" oneself and have a similar core message: kindness and love toward your neighbor. Proselytizing is considered to be cruel and intolerant.

1. Isn't this avoiding the "truth" question? They cannot all logically be completely true if they contradict each other on core thing such as who "God" is?

2. Is it really arrogant and intolerant for someone to believe that he knows the truth and that it is loving to share that truth with others?

How would you determine whether aliens are true?
If the aliens have a much higher technology and a high reason to hide behind. The only way we humans can get to who they are is by those who encountered them.

Humans rely on putting faith in a direct contact to get to a truth. We don't research science, we rely on putting faith in what the scientists said, as they are the direct contact of a scientific truth. We don't examine world events, we reply on putting faith in our reporters and journalists as they are the direct contacts of a truth reported. We can't possibly examine most history written down, we have to put faith in the historians as authors of history (they died and we can't confirm from their mouth and credibility) as they are the direct contacts sitting between us and the historical truth.

We value religions because we humans don't have the ability to examine a future. Only a God has such an ability. We thus need to put the same faith in the direct contracts between us and God in order to get to a truth.
Now who are the direct contracts of God? Only the Christian Bible are from those who directly encountered God to get to His messages. Other religions' holy books are not in the form of human testimonies. Mohammad is not a direct contact of God, he heard the info from an angel whose identity cannot be verified. In contrary, the Bible is from tens of eyewitnesses all portrayed the same God.

If there is no God to be led to, then the person is sharing nothing with anyone else, only selling his brand of snake-oil.

That is true. The truth claim of Christians includes the fact that there is a God. Its either true or false. If true, then it has huge implications and it is the loving thing to share that truth with others.

Many people believe there is a God for many different reasons. It is logical to believe in God.

For example: everything that begins to exist has a cause, the universe began to exist, therefore it has some transcendent, timeless, cause. Also, there could be no objective moral standard without a God to whom that is due, there is an objective moral standard, therefore there must be a God. ETC

That said, no single rational argument has ever convinced a person of God that I am aware of... the evidence pile up though and I believe it to be a "properly basic" understanding that we can accept or try to ignore.

WalterTrull

Godfella
I'm thinking the "road" metaphor may be misleading. (There might be a joke there, but I can't put my finger on it.)
When we wake up, we haven't literally traveled anywhere. Might feel like it though.

MJFlores

Do you know 100%? Could you also be wrong?

jeremiah6_16.jpg

If I base my judgement, my decisions on my whims, caprices and liking - I would be 100% wrong.
But if I base my actions on finding the will of God as written in the Bible then how can I go wrong?
If I genuinely ask the Father to guide me and lead me out of the dark towards Him and his Son, would He listen to answer my prayer?

Proverbs 3:5-6 New International Version (NIV)
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.

I seem to observe many, many roads. They all end up at the same place, since there's really only one destination.

I think the "road" metaphor makes sense. However, how do you know that there is only one destination? What is that destination?

If there is only one way to God, then there must be another wide and varied road to "not God"

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Many people who are considered humble and tolerant will say that all religions are useful for "bettering" oneself and have a similar core message: kindness and love toward your neighbor. Proselytizing is considered to be cruel and intolerant.

1. Isn't this avoiding the "truth" question? They cannot all logically be completely true if they contradict each other on core thing such as who "God" is?

2. Is it really arrogant and intolerant for someone to believe that he knows the truth and that it is loving to share that truth with others?

You are correct. If Jesus is God, any religion removing His deity or ability as Savior is a false religion. Jesus was either intolerant while on Earth or factually correct.

WalterTrull

Godfella
I think the "road" metaphor makes sense. However, how do you know that there is only one destination? What is that destination?

If there is only one way to God, then there must be another wide and varied road to "not God"
We are. God in heaven is our father. There is nothing to traverse. There is no "not".
There are things to understand, however. (Not saying I understand them, mind you.)
I suppose that learning could seem like traveling.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It is logical to believe in God.
Also, there could be no objective moral standard without a God ..
That said, no single rational argument has ever convinced a person of God that I am aware of ..
I searched for logic for 77 years.
You mean Buddhism, Jainism and atheistic Hinduism have no moral? Same for Dao?
Persons of God see through colored spectacles. Special pleadings.

WalterTrull

Godfella
I searched for logic for 77 years.
Moralities can certainly be puzzling.
My logic for god, however, is that I find it inconceivable that we are created by the objects.

ManSinha

However, what is truth?

IMHO - part of the truth is what brings you peace and contentment without impinging on the rights and freedoms of others

What if there was only one true religion that answers the fundamental problem with mankind? Would it not be right to share that truth with everybody you see
What the qualifications of the "one true religion"? Any authoritative non-religiously biased sources that have a checklist you can provide us? if not the question is non-sequitur

Only the Christian Bible are from those who directly encountered God to get to His messages. Other religions' holy books are not in the form of human testimonies. Mohammad is not a direct contact of God, he heard the info from an angel whose identity cannot be verified. In contrary, the Bible is from tens of eyewitnesses all portrayed the same God.
That is the droppings of a large mammal - The "Christian Bible" is not a unanimously agreed upon document - the Eastern Orthodoxy has more content that the ASV or NKJV - also it was "decided" upon which content to include by humans - whether inspired by god or the holy spirit is debatable since no one has been able to prove any such thing exists to a non partisan observer.

I could very easily counter that argument with the example of the Gita - delivered by the ultimate being itself - Krishna who said this

Gita 7:6
etad-yonīni bhūtāni sarvāṇītyupadhāraya
ahaṁ kṛitsnasya jagataḥ prabhavaḥ pralayas tathā

Know that all living beings are manifested by these two energies of mine. I am the source of the entire creation, and into me it again dissolves.

Gita 7:7
mattaḥ parataraṁ nānyat kiñchid asti dhanañjaya
mayi sarvam idaṁ protaṁ sūtre maṇi-gaṇā iva

There is nothing higher than myself, O Arjun. Everything rests in me, as beads strung on a thread.

Just those two couplets rubbish anything you got - this is the very essence of the Universe speaking - of course you don't believe because you have a different set of beliefs - so take your lofty statements about the Bible elsewhere - you have a inferior set of literature you are working with IMO

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I don't like division either. However, what if there is only one way to God?
Also, you seem to be seeking truth "for yourself." Is there a universal truth? Is it possible that humans are incapable of finding this ultimate truth on their own, and that they need external revelation?

I think what is universally true is the virtues. Beyond that we would need revelations. I don't see much evidence for a benevolent creator. Perhaps Brahman is a candidate for the reason we exist.

The fact that all people, regardless of religion, seem to possess some inner morality that is universal and that they cannot seem to escape points to the fact that all people are responsible to a God. Evidence for the Christian God seem to lie in the powerful historical occurrence of Jesus' perfect life, his death, and his resurrection... all this prophesied 100's of years before.

Yes, I look at the world through the lens of the Christian worldview. We all have a worldview, but which one is the truth?

part of the truth is what brings you peace and contentment without impinging on the rights and freedoms of others

Are you saying that what gives me peace and does not offend is universally true? I would be hesitant to take that much upon myself. I do not define truth. Rather, I must seek to align myself with the truth.

What the qualifications of the "one true religion"? Any authoritative non-religiously biased sources that have a checklist you can provide us?

I certainly can't come up with the qualification checklist... I am not God. However, I can observe the amazing evidence He has given us. Like I said, the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus is so compelling!

I think what is universally true is the virtues

Where did the universal virtues come from?

ManSinha

Are you saying that what gives me peace and does not offend is universally true? I would be hesitant to take that much upon myself. I do not define truth. Rather, I must seek to align myself with the truth.
You are not making sense - you cannot define truth yet you want to align yourself with it? How would you know truth if it got up and smacked you in the face if you do not define it first?
Like I said, the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus is so compelling!
That is a story - you are free to believe it if you would like - holds zero awe for someone like myself - according to my beliefs - unnatural things such as virgin births and resurrections do not happen.

A Vestigial Mote

Proselytizing is considered to be cruel and intolerant.
It is an insult to another person's intelligence is what it is. Plain and simple. The statement is "I know better than you do." And it is made about a realm and characters (i.e. God(s), Satan, angels, etc.) that you can't know a single thing about that wasn't told to you IN THE SAME WAY by someone else. No way to verify, no way to demonstrate. So, to say that "you know" something you can't possibly know, and that someone else had better toe the same line you are is a complete and utter insult to the other person's intelligence. Likely that person is (whether consciously or subconsciously) interpreting your encroachment in this manner as one of two things:
  1. You feel that they are wrong/misled/confused and this same likely applies to their parents, and their parents' parents, etc.
  2. You feel that they couldn't possibly choose the right path themselves, and must therefore be informed - much like one would a child.
The best bit is that you seem to be sitting there, thinking there MUST be some way to proselytize "with love" and yet you would very likely feel the same things I referred to above if someone came around and tried to talk you into being a Hindu, or joining the church of Scientology. "You know, you really should believe in Xenu."

Anything you feel at a particular undertaking of another human being, expect them to also feel if YOU are the actor doing the same to them. This is like "Philosophy 101" or something. Or if it isn't, it should be.

Yes, let's talk about the "truth question," shall we? How, EXACTLY, can one know the truth? And I mean EXACTLY.

Arrogant, yes. Intolerant - I can't say I haven't seen it. Do you know where the conversation usually goes with the Christian proselytizers I have come in contact with throughout my life? Once they find out I am not, at all "God-fearing" in the slightest, and that they can't possibly "kill me with kindness," it very much turns into a discussion about where I am going to end up when I die. Rarely have I ever spoken with a Christian trying to convert me who doesn't turn to that in a last-ditch effort to "get me." I've been called "vile," been told I was going to end up in Hell, and more often just had hints dropped that I was going to suffer after death - all by people WHO DON'T EVEN KNOW ME. So yeah... sorry... it is arrogant, and not loving in the slightest, even if you "play nice" the entire time.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
You are correct. If Jesus is God, any religion removing His deity or ability as Savior is a false religion. Jesus was either intolerant while on Earth or factually correct.
Yes! Belittling another Religion one should not do

So, If I understand you correctly, you agree to this:

If Allah is God, any religion removing His ability as Savior is also a false religion.

Last edited: