• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BTW, The Beatles were more popular than Jesus, and still are

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Eric Clapton should be bigger than the Beatles, and thus bigger than Jesus.

Not his politics perhaps - he was a bit right-wing and xenophobic apparently (like many mods then perhaps?) - but a decent enough guitar-player (Having watched him enough times with the Yardbirds at the Marquee club in the early 1960s). The Beatles (Lennon and McCartney as writers) produced some good popular material and no doubt influenced many but there were plenty of other groups about then that did likewise. I think it was just a throwaway remark concerning Jesus.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Not his politics perhaps - he was a bit right-wing and xenophobic apparently (like many mods then perhaps?) - but a decent enough guitar-player (Having watched him enough times with the Yardbirds at the Marquee club in the early 1960s). The Beatles (Lennon and McCartney as writers) produced some good popular material and no doubt influenced many but there were plenty of other groups about then that did likewise. I think it was just a throwaway remark concerning Jesus.
Though I love bands like Motorhead because they are political, and like some of the Beatles songs for the same reason, a lot of the time I'm just not listening to music for politics. In the case of Clapton, he's a really good guitarist. Kind of like Stevie Ray Vaughn. All I really know about him is we was allegedly heavily influenced by Jimi Hendrix, and he too was a really good guitarist.

PruePhillip

You the opposite of xenophobia? I think it's spelled oikaphobia - a fear or
hate of self. It's quite common (nay universal) in people who accuse others
of xenophobia.
Self loathing, hate of your institutions, history, culture, enterprises, even
these days, your own skin color or race. Look it up.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Though I love bands like Motorhead because they are political, and like some of the Beatles songs for the same reason, a lot of the time I'm just not listening to music for politics. In the case of Clapton, he's a really good guitarist. Kind of like Stevie Ray Vaughn. All I really know about him is we was allegedly heavily influenced by Jimi Hendrix, and he too was a really good guitarist.

Well no doubt we all regret things said or done in our youth so I don't hold anything against him, and no doubt he was rather busier with his music to get involved in political issues, but the following from Wiki describes the events:

Eric Clapton - Wikipedia

On 5 August 1976, Clapton provoked an uproar and lingering controversy when he spoke out against increasing immigration during a concert in Birmingham. Visibly intoxicated, Clapton voiced his support of controversial political candidate Enoch Powell, and announced on stage that Britain was in danger of becoming a "black colony". Among other things, Clapton said, "Keep Britain white!" which was at the time a National Front (NF) slogan. This incident, along with some controversial remarks made around the same time by David Bowie, as well as uses of Nazi-related imagery by Sid Vicious and Siouxsie Sioux, were the main catalysts for the creation of Rock Against Racism, with a concert on 30 April 1978. In an interview from October 1976 with Sounds magazine, Clapton said that he was not a political person and that his rambling remarks that night were not appropriate. In a 2004 interview with Uncut, Clapton referred to Powell as "outrageously brave". He complained that the UK was "... inviting people in as cheap labour and then putting them in ghettos." In 2004, Clapton told an interviewer for Scotland on Sunday, "There's no way I could be a racist. It would make no sense." In his 2007 autobiography, Clapton claimed to be "oblivious to it all." In a December 2007 interview with Melvyn Bragg on The South Bank Show, Clapton told Bragg that he was not a racist but still believed Powell's comments were relevant.

Bit of a b*mmer to have it follow one all one's life though, and people change. I have several pieces of Clapton's music - Cream, Blind Faith, Yardbirds, for example. He was apparently in awe of Hendrix (another great guitarist and lost too soon) if one accepts what happened when they met:

When Hendrix Met Clapton

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
You the opposite of xenophobia? I think it's spelled oikaphobia - a fear or
hate of self. It's quite common (nay universal) in people who accuse others
of xenophobia.
Self loathing, hate of your institutions, history, culture, enterprises, even
these days, your own skin color or race. Look it up.

Perhaps read the bit replied to above. I think I have a reasonably balanced view concerning foreigners - been to enough other countries to assess many as being much the same as myself - and appreciate their contributions when they come to live here. Many cause problems just as the native Brits do, so what's so important about that? And no, I'm not that patriotic, since I do realise what our country did to others to get to where we are now - just as many other countries did.

PS Xenophilia being the opposite of xenophobia?

atanu

Premium Member
The Beatles were a boy band with a few good songs.

Not correct, I think. The four together catered to widest possible base for a pop-rock band. The magic was in diversity and synergy.

My wife says that Beatles sang nursery rhymes. I agree and then make her sit through whole of Revolver or Sgt. Pepper and she takes back her opinion.

My choice is Pink Floyd though.

PruePhillip

Perhaps read the bit replied to above. I think I have a reasonably balanced view concerning foreigners - been to enough other countries to assess many as being much the same as myself - and appreciate their contributions when they come to live here. Many cause problems just as the native Brits do, so what's so important about that? And no, I'm not that patriotic, since I do realise what our country did to others to get to where we are now - just as many other countries did.

PS Xenophilia being the opposite of xenophobia?

British huh? I was reading about Pocahontas. Her tribe was involved with the British
at Jamestown. Her tribe wanted guns - to shoot Spanish and other Indians. Her tribe
had ambitions of being an empire themselves.
Every culture wants to do empire. I think Iran had an empire three times. Don't be
ashamed of Britain having an empire - it was, on the whole, one of the better ones.

ps that word Oikaphobia, never encounter it much - it's used to little that no-one
knows how to spell it. I see it like this - you hate England because it's sexist and
racist - so you bring millions of Pakistanis in who are racist and sexist, and then you
say you shouldn't criticize them because that's their culture. That kind of thing.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
British huh? I was reading about Pocahontas. Her tribe was involved with the British at Jamestown. Her tribe wanted guns - to shoot Spanish and other Indians. Her tribe had ambitions of being an empire themselves. Every culture wants to do empire. I think Iran had an empire three times. Don't be ashamed of Britain having an empire - it was, on the whole, one of the better ones.
I'm not. I'm a bit embarrassed that we were so good at it, although we were perhaps lucky in some things, like recognising the importance of travel and exploration and in having a reasonable stable environment less amenable to easy conquest - although some seemed to have managed it. In the ranks of those who had imperialist ambitions we seemed to have done rather better than most, and many who could have done so just didn't.
ps that word Oikaphobia, never encounter it much - it's used to little that no-one knows how to spell it. I see it like this - you hate England because it's sexist and racist - so you bring millions of Pakistanis in who are racist and sexist, and then you say you shouldn't criticize them because that's their culture. That kind of thing.
Perhaps such should understand that it is the very few doing so and not the vast majority, just as it is for most crimes. But the issue should be addressed in my view, even if it is the differences between cultures that might be the origins for such. No point in hiding it:

Government refuses to release grooming gangs review because it is 'not in public interest'

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Jesus was a humble person, a Jewish Rabbi, selected/appointed by G-d for the reformation of Jewish people to set them on the path of Moses, a Messenger/Prophet of G-d and follower of the teachings of Moses.
Jesus had no craving for popularity. Had Jesus, please?
Jesus was not even a Christian, please.

Regards
The OP is wrong to compare Beatles and Jesus, the comparison is made in the same class of people. The OP/the topic of the thread needs to be corrected, therefore, please. Right, please?

Regards

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well no doubt we all regret things said or done in our youth so I don't hold anything against him, and no doubt he was rather busier with his music to get involved in political issues, but the following from Wiki describes the events:

Eric Clapton - Wikipedia

On 5 August 1976, Clapton provoked an uproar and lingering controversy when he spoke out against increasing immigration during a concert in Birmingham. Visibly intoxicated, Clapton voiced his support of controversial political candidate Enoch Powell, and announced on stage that Britain was in danger of becoming a "black colony". Among other things, Clapton said, "Keep Britain white!" which was at the time a National Front (NF) slogan. This incident, along with some controversial remarks made around the same time by David Bowie, as well as uses of Nazi-related imagery by Sid Vicious and Siouxsie Sioux, were the main catalysts for the creation of Rock Against Racism, with a concert on 30 April 1978. In an interview from October 1976 with Sounds magazine, Clapton said that he was not a political person and that his rambling remarks that night were not appropriate. In a 2004 interview with Uncut, Clapton referred to Powell as "outrageously brave". He complained that the UK was "... inviting people in as cheap labour and then putting them in ghettos." In 2004, Clapton told an interviewer for Scotland on Sunday, "There's no way I could be a racist. It would make no sense." In his 2007 autobiography, Clapton claimed to be "oblivious to it all." In a December 2007 interview with Melvyn Bragg on The South Bank Show, Clapton told Bragg that he was not a racist but still believed Powell's comments were relevant.

Bit of a b*mmer to have it follow one all one's life though, and people change. I have several pieces of Clapton's music - Cream, Blind Faith, Yardbirds, for example. He was apparently in awe of Hendrix (another great guitarist and lost too soon) if one accepts what happened when they met:

When Hendrix Met Clapton
I did not know any of that.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I did not know any of that.

What is happening concerning Muslims in the UK now, and in some parts of Europe, is just a rerun of what occurred then when we had so many Indian, African, and West Indian immigrants. And Enoch Powell was the voice of such xenophobia then - rivers of blood being his claim at the time - didn't happen.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
After the Beatles George made more religious music, Paul made "pretty love songs," John continued his social activist songs and Ringo.... I don't know about Ringo.

Alone, the members produced nothing as artistic, complex or sophisticated as the Beatles.

Traveling Wilburys?

Last edited:

lukethethird

unknown member
The OP is wrong to compare Beatles and Jesus, the comparison is made in the same class of people. The OP/the topic of the thread needs to be corrected, therefore, please. Right, please?

Regards
The OP is in reference to a news event that took place back in the 60's. John Lennon made an offhand remark that The Beatles were more popular than Jesus. Some of the devoted burned their Beatle records in retaliation, and some made death threats.