• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BTW, The Beatles were more popular than Jesus, and still are

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The OP is in reference to a news event that took place back in the 60's. John Lennon made an offhand remark that The Beatles were more popular than Jesus. Some of the devoted burned their Beatle records in retaliation, and some made death threats.
That was not needed. Only Lennon should have been told that he was saying an incorrect thing. Right, please?
Regards

Faithofchristian

Anyone still in denial?

Sure I have a question....
You do know back at the time John Lennon of The Beatles made that statement.
I was 15 years old at that time.
Have you any clue or idea how many people took the Beatles albums and burned them.

If you we're there at that time when the news media did the coverage of that event...by the thousands kids were burning their Beatles albums.
All because John Lennon said the Beatles were greater than Jesus Christ.
Wham boom bang went the Beatles albums into the fire.

And to say..our parents had nothing to do with us kids burning our Beatles albums.

That was us kids back to the reply of John Lennon of his statement that the Beatles were greater than Jesus Christ John Lennon soon apologized for his statement on national TV.
John Lennon came real close in destroying the Beatles at that time. For his statement.

And us kids took John Lennon's at his apology and went out and bought the albums of The Beatles again.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Sure I have a question....
You do know back at the time John Lennon of The Beatles made that statement.
I was 15 years old at that time.
Have you any clue or idea how many people took the Beatles albums and burned them.
If you we're there at that time when the news media did coverage that event...by the thousands kids were burning their Beatles albums.
All because John Lennon said the Beatles were greater than Jesus Christ.
Wham boom bang went the Beatles albums went in the fire.

And to say..our parents had nothing to do with us kids burning our Beatles albums.

That was us kids back to the reply of John Lennon of his statement that the Beatles were greater than Jesus Christ John Lennon soon apologized for his statement on national TV.
John Lennon came real close in destroying the Beatles at that time. For his statement.

From America? Didn't happen in the UK as I recall, unless I missed it. Shows what a tolerant bunch we are and ...

Faithofchristian

From America? Didn't happen in the UK as I recall, unless I missed it. Shows what a tolerant bunch we are and ...

Form what I remember of the news media coverage.. kids over in London England were the first to start in burning their Beatles albums and it boomerang over here in America.

If I'm wrong I'll apologize. But it's what I remember... I believe it was in 1965.
I still have my Beatles albums from back then.
And some of them are still in their plastic covering of the albums.
I would buy two...one I would listen to and the other one I put away as a souvenir.
Alot of us kids did that..so I wasn't alone.

When I got older and got married I gave my Beatles albums to my son.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Form what I remember of the news media coverage.. kids over in London England we're doing the same..
So it wasn't just here in America..

Not according to this:

More popular than Jesus - Wikipedia

"More popular than Jesus" is part of a remark made by John Lennon of the Beatles in a March 1966 interview, in which he argued that the public were more infatuated with the band than with Jesus, and that Christian faith was declining to the extent that it might be outlasted by rock music. His opinions drew no controversy when originally published in the London newspaper The Evening Standard, but drew angry reactions from Christian communities when republished in the United States that July.

That is, Christian communities in the USA, not in the UK.

Faithofchristian

Not according to this:

More popular than Jesus - Wikipedia

"More popular than Jesus" is part of a remark made by John Lennon of the Beatles in a March 1966 interview, in which he argued that the public were more infatuated with the band than with Jesus, and that Christian faith was declining to the extent that it might be outlasted by rock music. His opinions drew no controversy when originally published in the London newspaper The Evening Standard, but drew angry reactions from Christian communities when republished in the United States that July.

That is, Christian communities in the USA, not in the UK.

That's exactly what I said..did you not read what I posted.. so I was wrong on the year...it was 1966 and not 1965...so I was still close to the year 1966.

Well if us kids were more infatuated with the Beatles then Jesus Christ.
Then we would not have burned our Beatles albums...it just goes to show we were not as infatuated as people thinks we were with the Beatles. If we were then we would not have burned our Beatles albums out in the streets. In protest over John Lennon statement.

But still John Lennon made the statement and he soon apologized on national TV.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
That's exactly what I said..did you not read what I posted.. so I was wrong on the year.

But still John Lennon made the statement and he soon apologized on national TV.

You said this:

Form what I remember of the news media coverage.. kids over in London England were the first to start in burning their Beatles albums and it boomerang over here in America.

And the Wiki doesn't say this. It says that when the remark came to the attention of the Americans later in July, and when they toured America it all kicked off. I don't recall anything happening here in the UK.

His opinions drew no controversy when originally published in the London newspaper The Evening Standard, but drew angry reactions from Christian communities when republished in the United States that July.

Christian communities in the USA, not in the UK.

Faithofchristian

You said this:

And the Wiki doesn't say this. It says that when the remark came to the attention of the Americans later in July, and when they toured America it all kicked off. I don't recall anything happening here in the UK.

His opinions drew no controversy when originally published in the London newspaper The Evening Standard, but drew angry reactions from Christian communities when republished in the United States that July.

Christian communities in the USA, not in the UK.

Well it seems that had no idea about what happened back then.. had you it would be very doubtful that you would have had to search it out..to find you answers.

Which I didn't have to...I remember the events from back then..I might not remember to much where exactly where or who may started the burning..
But I do know it did happen 54 years ago.
It's hard to believe it was that long ago.
Seems like it was just yesterday.

But Thank you for your in put and information..brings alot back to my remembrance of 1966..

The one thing that made the Beatles great among the younger generation at that time.
The Beatles were tune in to us kids and letting us know alot about things that were happening around the world...we all were tuned in to Beatles...we knew what other kids maybe thinking because of the Beatles.

If you were to listen to the Beatles song
"The Tax man" how it relates to the government not only back then...but also today.
But as I said..Thank you for your information..I really appreciated it.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well it seems that had no idea about what happened back then.. had you it would be very doubtful that you would have had to search it out..to find you answers.

Which I didn't have to...I remember the events from back then..I might not remember to much where exactly where or who may started the burning..
But I do know it did happen 54 years ago.
It's hard to believe it was that long ago.
Seems like it was just yesterday.

But Thank you for your in put and information..brings alot back to my remembrance of 1966..

Well I wasn't that interested in the Beatles then or now so I might have missed it but as I recall there wasn't a fuss here because religious people are and were not so militant as appears to be the case in the USA. And the Wiki article appears to support this.

I was watching Bob Dylan at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester in 1966 - a lot better. :D

Faithofchristian

Well I wasn't that interested in the Beatles then or now so I might have missed it but as I recall there wasn't a fuss here because religious people are and were not so militant as appears to be the case in the USA. And the Wiki article appears to support this.

I was watching Bob Dylan at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester in 1966 - a lot better. :D

Yes back then I was a really big fan of Bob Dylan also...Thank you

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You the opposite of xenophobia? I think it's spelled oikaphobia - a fear or
hate of self. It's quite common (nay universal) in people who accuse others
of xenophobia.
Self loathing, hate of your institutions, history, culture, enterprises, even
these days, your own skin color or race. Look it up.
If you don't hate others then you must hate yourself? That's imbecilic logic.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That was not needed. Only Lennon should have been told that he was saying an incorrect thing. Right, please?
Regards
Lennon wasn't gloating or bragging; more like lamenting the fact that a band was more respected and popular than a religious leader.

He did make a more critical assessment of religion after the band broke up, on his and Yoko's Plastic Ono album:

I don't recall anyone burning any albums for this cynical lament.

Last edited:

PruePhillip

If you don't hate others then you must hate yourself? That's imbecilic logic.

There's no logic to how people behave. An example was the last UK election. Many
formerly Labour supporters were unsettled that the new Labour party had an aversion
to patriotism, love of monarchy, respect of tradition etc..
You can still take an interest and respect in other cultures - but your love of cultures
must begin with your own.
And this new Labour sympathized with groups and nations that hated what the UK
stood for.
The hate in this case was from the new Labour, not the old traditionalists that put
their nation first.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Lennon wasn't gloating or bragging; more like lamenting the fact that a band was more respected and popular than a religious leader.

He did make a more critical assessment of religion after the band broke up, on his and Yoko's Plastic Ono album:

I don't recall anyone burning any albums for this cynical lament.
Thanks for clarifying remarks of Lennon.
Regards