• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BTW, The Beatles were more popular than Jesus, and still are

amorphous_constellation

I guess some love em , some hate em. I always really liked them, and learned how to play most of their music in my teens .. probably my favorite british musical project , like them more than the stones and bowie.. I think they got boring and serious though when they went solo, the chords and music become too straightforward. I think the rebelliousness of lennon sort of working off of paul's seriousness is what made the group. I don't think I like that chapman got a 2nd degree sentence , that seems a bit off. If any of you like the beatles btw , check out sean lennon's stuff, it's actually really good

amorphous_constellation

Actually I sort of take back what I said , I think I might like pink floyd just a little bit better . Either way , I think I am sort of worn out on these groups and am now searching for new things to get into

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
With it being considered the Beatles were groundbreaking for their time, I'd much rather prefer the Stones. It took the Beatles adding drugs and going solo to get interesting, and get away from the boy band rubbish they were and into the deeper territory they were capable of. The Stones, they've always rocked, they've always rolled, and set trends as well that are still felt in rock and metal today. And they were pretty dark for their time, as well as an early example of mental health being a topic in mainstream music.
The Beatles only toured as a "boy band," ie: pop/rock band, for about four years. They were primarily a studio group.
They were part of the 60's social and political revolution. As early as '64 they refused to play in Florida's Gator Bowl unless the concert was integrated. (City officials backed down and the concert went on).

They were never big druggies. Dylan did introduce them to marijuana when they came to the states, and George famously became a religious Hindu after trying LSD, but they never engaged in the drug fueled shenanigans some other rock bands were famous for. They were serious artists and social activists.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
See how they run like pigs from a gun, see how they fly, little darling. It seems like years since it's been clear, but still they lead me back, Martha, my dear. Don't forget me.

If you don't love that, well ...

But yes to Led Zep and Pink Floyd as well. Proud to say that I have performed Kashmir, In My Time Of Dying, and Ten Years Gone live - with my wife on bass. And Us Or Them, Brain Damage, and Comfortably Numb.

If anybody cares, here's a bit of that (some technical difficulties performing and recording, but here's what I have):

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
True; even the Christians have forgotten aboút Christ.
That said, The Beatles (and Elvis) were overrated and overhyped.
Lennon was bigoted, abused women, and neglected his son, yet was touted as a "peace and love" figure.
You know John actually admitted to all that. From what I understand his reasoning was it was something he aspired for in spite of himself. I guess sometimes the worst offenders have the greatest desire for change , even though they find they can't.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do have to say though, the more I've learned about the Beatles and the members, the more I've grown to see the Beatles as something that got them launched but at the same time something that was an anchor, holding them down and caging them into such ugly and trendy poppy garbage. On their own though, Paul and John especially shined in ways they couldn't in the Beatles. Because the Beatles is a tiny wading pool and they needed an ocean.
And, BTW, does anyone know what the hell is up with Yoko in the Instant Karma video? Saying she looks out place doesn't even begin to describe her, what seems to me, inexplicable appearance and behavior in the video.
What albums are poppy garbage?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
They were never big druggies. Dylan did introduce them to marijuana when they came to the states, and George famously became a religious Hindu after trying LSD, but they never engaged in the drug fueled shenanigans some other rock bands were famous for. They were serious artists and social activists.
What? Lennon was a well-known heroin addict and alcoholic. Talk about your rose-colored glasses.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
You know John actually admitted to all that. From what I understand his reasoning was it was something he aspired for in spite of himself. I guess sometimes the worst offenders have the greatest desire for change , even though they find they can't.
He may have admitted to it but he never got help for it. He also described his first son, Julian, as an accident as a result of whiskey. How awful.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
IMO, they didn't really get to that until after the Beatles. Really, they set trends followed by Madonna, Micheal, New Kids, Backstreet Boys, and other heavily processed, highly formulated pop acts where success is massive but talent is rare (such as a sea of people wiggling and thrashing about whereas Micheal Jackson could dance).
After the Beatles George made more religious music, Paul made "pretty love songs," John continued his social activist songs and Ringo.... I don't know about Ringo.

Alone, the members produced nothing as artistic, complex or sophisticated as the Beatles.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
To me, the Beatles were like the music of my childhood. Even before I was in kindergarten, I was listening to my mom's Beatle albums. She also had Chubby Checker records, too, along with some Kingston Trio and Peter, Paul, and Mary.

But I liked the Beatles. They still remain a sentimental favorite. I don't know that they were ever "more popular than Jesus," depending on how one measures such a thing.

Although, Jesus Christ Superstar was quite a hit, and I think it sold a lot of albums, too. Jesus has a remarkably good singing voice, and I heard he even sang for Deep Purple. But I don't think Deep Purple ever reached the same level of popularity as the Beatles.

amorphous_constellation

John had a really damaged upbringing , basically he was an orphan .. so I can't really hold a lot of things against him

PruePhillip

Anyone still in denial?

Absolutely, the Beatles were more "popular" than Jesus.
By a whopping margin.
But of course, that's not the point.
The Old Testament makes is abundantly clear the Messiah
as Redeemer would be "despised and rejected of man, a
man of sorrows and acquainted with grief."
David speaks of the Messiah as being rejected even of his
own brothers and sisters.
Yet Jesus is the most influential and famous man in history.
And if you will receive it - He was the Messiah who was to
come. And in returning as Messiah the king even the Jewish
people will mourn - for they will recognize Him as the lowly
man they crucified (Zechariah)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What? Lennon was a well-known heroin addict and alcoholic. Talk about your rose-colored glasses.
Good point. I'm not saying the Beatles were drug free. During the '60's pretty much everyone used marijuana socially. Lennon did start using Heroin regularly after his car crash in '68, and the other Beatles were pretty upset about it. McCartney took it once inadvertantly when he was handed something to smoke and later found out it was heroin, and he was also no stranger to cocaine -- mostly during the White Album's creation. But the Beatles weren't really drug bingers like many other rock stars were, they were mostly casual users of pot. Lennon, who actually did have a problem by '69, made many attempts to quit, even having Yoko tie him to a chair for 36 hours to try to kick it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
John had a really damaged upbringing , basically he was an orphan .. so I can't really hold a lot of things against him
Yes. His song Julia was about his mother, who died when he was young. Later he and Yoko were in a serious car crash and he was introduced to opiates in hospital.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Absolutely, the Beatles were more "popular" than Jesus.
By a whopping margin.
But of course, that's not the point.
The Old Testament makes is abundantly clear the Messiah
as Redeemer would be "despised and rejected of man, a
man of sorrows and acquainted with grief."
David speaks of the Messiah as being rejected even of his
own brothers and sisters.
Yet Jesus is the most influential and famous man in history.
And if you will receive it - He was the Messiah who was to
come. And in returning as Messiah the king even the Jewish
people will mourn - for they will recognize Him as the lowly
man they crucified (Zechariah)
I imagined there is no Heaven and no Hell, and that it's easier than imagining that there is, and all it really is good for is repressing and dividing people.
And I would argue that Plato, Socrates, and Aristotle have had way more influence than Jesus. After all, they (along with many names and ideas from ancient Greece) heavily influenced the Roman Empire, which influenced just about everything, including your Jesus story. Your Jesus story influences Europe and wars with the Muslims in the Middle East and Africa. The Greeks influenced all that and the Ottoman Empire as well. Genghis Khan as well had a massive influence on history. As did Gautama Buddha, and Muhammad. And they are, of course, all massively famous. And more recently Newton, Darwin, Faraday, and Tesla, though they aren't as heavy on the famous and well known part (but rest assured your modern life revolves around their ideas, and without your life would not be as it is). And of course the Beatles. I don't think that one needs explaining.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I did just remember a story I've always thought was cool. The Beatles smoking a joint in the bathroom at Buckingham Palace before meeting the Queen (or whoever it was).:D