• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boris Johnson - let's see how he and his government performs....

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Loving Ros Atkins' "explainers." Hard to believe it's on the BBC. He destroys Johnson not with rhetoric but with cold hard facts.
Here he is on the latest lies - the illegal Downing Street parties that weren't...er...parties. (I think they're the latest lies, but I've not seen the news today yet).

exchemist

Veteran Member
Today, not one but two rare events.

1. A Conservative MP defected to Labour. He crossed the floor of the House Of Commons just before the weekly PMQs.

2. A former Conservative member of the Cabinet stood up in a packed Commons and said this to Boris Johnson:

- In the name of God go, David Davis tells Boris Johnson
Yup, looks as if he's on his way out now.

Fitting that, if he goes, he won't have been brought down by policy disagreements, or even by a lack of competence in governing, but simply by his arrogance and mendacity. These are characteristics that everyone who has had dealings with him, from his schoolteachers to his wife, children, sundry mistresses, his editor when he was a journalist, and no doubt many others throughout his career, say are intrinsic to the man and make him unfit for public office.

At this point the champagne is still in my cellar, but that is now at 12C in this cold weather so it can be drunk at a moment's notice.;)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Yup, looks as if he's on his way out now.

Fitting that, if he goes, he won't have been brought down by policy disagreements, or even by a lack of competence in governing, but simply by his arrogance and mendacity. These are characteristics that everyone who has had dealings with him, from his schoolteachers to his wife, children, sundry mistresses, his editor when he was a journalist, and no doubt many others throughout his career, say are intrinsic to the man and make him unfit for public office.

At this point the champagne is still in my cellar, but that is now at 12C in this cold weather so it can be drunk at a moment's notice.;)
Sad in a way, he'd maximise the Labour vote at the GE. Although having said that, the possible replacements don't look very endearing.
I read a quote yesterday (ok it was on twitter) describing Johnson's, ahem, character failings (basically a liar who doesn't think rules apply to him). It was spot on. Thing is, it wasn't a quote from now, not even from his days as a lying journalist, but it was said (or written) by a tutor at Eton.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Sad in a way, he'd maximise the Labour vote at the GE. Although having said that, the possible replacements don't look very endearing.
I read a quote yesterday (ok it was on twitter) describing Johnson's, ahem, character failings (basically a liar who doesn't think rules apply to him). It was spot on. Thing is, it wasn't a quote from now, not even from his days as a lying journalist, but it was said (or written) by a tutor at Eton.
That is what I was referring to when I mentioned schoolteachers. It was a report from his housemaster (I think), saying something along the lines of him not feeling he was bound by the normal ties of obligation that bind the rest of us, or something. As so often with perceptive schoolteachers, it was spot-on and has remained true of him to this day.

To your point about him being a nice liability for the Tory party to carry into the next election I would agree except that I don't think the country should be sacrificed to his laziness and mendacity just to give Labour an easy shot at power. Starmer will need a +ve agenda of his own, not rely on finger-pointing at Bozo, while Angela Rayner shrieks "Tory scum". I think he should be able to do that, starting with a rational approach to Brexit. But he will inherit finances in a fairly terrible state and a lot of inflation, so he won't be able to just borrow in order to promise all manner of goodies. He'll need a good Chancellor.

As for who he will be up against, he has to hope it will be Liz Truss, "The Schoolgirl That Time Forgot" a.k.a. the "Queen of Cheese". If it's Sunak or Gove it will be a harder competition.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
That is what I was referring to when I mentioned schoolteachers. It was a report from his housemaster (I think), saying something along the lines of him not feeling he was bound by the normal ties of obligation that bind the rest of us, or something. As so often with perceptive schoolteachers, it was spot-on and has remained true of him to this day.

To your point about him being a nice liability for the Tory party to carry into the next election I would agree except that I don't think the country should be sacrificed to his laziness and mendacity just to give Labour an easy shot at power. Starmer will need a +ve agenda of his own, not rely on finger-pointing at Bozo, while Angela Rayner shrieks "Tory scum". I think he should be able to do that, starting with a rational approach to Brexit. But he will inherit finances in a fairly terrible state and a lot of inflation, so he won't be able to just borrow in order to promise all manner of goodies. He'll need a good Chancellor.

As for who he will be up against, he has to hope it will be Liz Truss, "The Schoolgirl That Time Forgot" a.k.a. the "Queen of Cheese". If it's Sunak or Gove it will be a harder competition.
I agree the country should not have to put up with this disgraceful person any longer. I just had a lovely little dream of him leading his party to a final, fatal split.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I agree the country should not have to put up with this disgraceful person any longer. I just had a lovely little dream of him leading his party to a final, fatal split.
I may have mentioned before that I had an actual dream, when Bozo was still Foreign Sec., that he became PM and ended up sending gunboats to shell Calais, before being removed in a party coup. We got pretty close to that with the fishing dispute.

But my dream was all before Covid of course, so that introduced a new twist, which it seems will be what has undone him, indirectly.

The thing about Bozo's departure that will make me happiest will be, I fervently hope, the end of his attempts to subvert the thought leadership of the country by inserting right wing placemen into our cultural institutions. Appointing someone so manifestly unsuitable as La Dorries as Culture Sec. was a typically contemptuous f*** you gesture. There has also been the attempt to get the transparently unsuitable reactionary, Dacre, as head of Ofcom, the replacement of directors of the British Museum and other similar things. All a bit below the radar, but trying to make right wing attitudes dominant by changing the people in charge. And his and Patel's agenda on the law and the judges is very dangerous, too.

His successor may possibly try to carry on with some of these things, to keep the Tory Swivel-Eyed Tendency happy, but with any luck he or she will realise their best hope is to crack on with the levelling up agenda. That is the one idea this government has had which is worth pursuing. Bozo may not have meant it but he, and they, are stuck with the expectations it has raised, now.

exchemist

Veteran Member
This spoof video is doing the rounds today. 5 million viewers so far:

This will not help him, let's just say..............:D

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
So assuming Boris' card has been marked, who is going to replace him?
Smiley Rishi Sunak?

exchemist

Veteran Member
So assuming Boris' card has been marked, who is going to replace him?
Smiley Rishi Sunak?
Sunak, Truss or Gove, I think. Personally I'd far prefer Hunt, but he's too rational (a Remainer etc), so the Swivel-Eyed Tendency, who are dominant in the party after Bozo's purge of the Sensibles, will never vote for him.

The Bufton Tuftons in the shires have the choice between the final two candidates. It seems they all like Truss, for some reason that entirely escapes me. I think either Sunak or Gove would do a reasonable job. Both work hard and are clever men. I get the feeling Gove might be better for levelling up, as the pull-yourself-up-by-your-own-bootstraps adopted son of an Edinburgh fishmonger, than Sunak, a gilded Wykehamist. (But I'd far rather a Wykehamist than another Old Etonian.)

Gove also has by far the most experience of government and what we need now is someone who can govern, not just campaign all the time without delivering any results.

Sajid "penis-features*" Javid was thought a contender at one point, but the Swivel-Eyes think he has been "captured" by the Dept of Health, (i.e. he is not so stupid as to fail to understand the need for covid restrictions) However he has been weak in interviews and in the Commons I think, so I believe his star has faded.

* This may be harsh. But let's just say he should avoid roll-neck sweaters ;).

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Sunak, Truss or Gove, I think. Personally I'd far prefer Hunt, but he's too rational (a Remainer etc), so the Swivel-Eyed Tendency, who are dominant in the party after Bozo's purge of the Sensibles, will never vote for him.

The Bufton Tuftons in the shires have the choice between the final two candidates. It seems they all like Truss, for some reason that entirely escapes me. I think either Sunak or Gove would do a reasonable job. Both work hard and are clever men. I get the feeling Gove might be better for levelling up, as the pull-yourself-up-by-your-own-bootstraps adopted son of an Edinburgh fishmonger, than Sunak, a gilded Wykehamist. (But I'd far rather a Wykehamist than another Old Etonian.)

Gove also has by far the most experience of government and what we need now is someone who can govern, not just campaign all the time without delivering any results.

Sajid "penis-features*" Javid was thought a contender at one point, but the Swivel-Eyes think he has been "captured" by the Dept of Health, (i.e. he is not so stupid as to fail to understand the need for covid restrictions) However he has been weak in interviews and in the Commons I think, so I believe his star has faded.

* This may be harsh. But let's just say he should avoid roll-neck sweaters ;).
If the tory MPs are sensible (stop laughing) they'll want someone who can bring victory at the next GE. My only thought on who that would NOT be is Gove. The GBP generally go for personality over policies and I can't see even the Dail Mail managing to sell him, given that he is a complete weasel.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
If the tory MPs are sensible (stop laughing) they'll want someone who can bring victory at the next GE. My only thought on who that would NOT be is Gove. The GBP generally go for personality over policies and I can't see even the Dail Mail managing to sell him, given that he is a complete weael.
My brother has referred to him as "Gollum", for a number of years. So maybe Gollum is our dream candidate. I get someone who can run the country for a bit and you get someone who will tank at the election. :D

But agree that may mean they don't pick him. I'd have thought for star quality Sunak has to be the man.

Truss is a cypher. But the Bufton Tuftons may dream he's another Maggie: they are quite stupid enough.:confused:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
My brother has referred to him as "Gollum", for a number of years. So maybe Gollum is our dream candidate. I get someone who can run the country for a bit and you get someone who will tank at the election. :D

But agree that may mean they don't pick him. I'd have thought for star quality Sunak has to be the man.

Truss is a cypher. But the Bufton Tuftons may dream he's another Maggie: they are quite stupid enough.:confused:
I agree - Sunak looks nice and shiny. And all that furlough money he dished out....

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
What is almost as terrible as the police to investigate the law breaking of the British Prime Minister is that no one is shocked. No-one is going to be saying "What, Johnson callously and selfishly broke the law, that can't be true surely." In times gone past no PM would be under such investigation by the police. But this is different times. Even politicians, in the past would have resigned over less. But not Johnson, he'll carry on lying till his party kicks him out of No.10. He told the country not to break the law, people died alone in hospital because of the laws on covid (such as social distancing), whilst as the same time he was flouting the law in the official residence of the Prime Minister.

- Police to investigate Downing Street lockdown parties

Altfish

Veteran Member
273155585_4759701650807947_3180937719858522628_n.jpg