• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boris Johnson - let's see how he and his government performs....

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
What did the IFS have to say?
From the link:

"Despite costing the government £9bn this year the average earner was still likely to be £400 worse off than last year, Paul Johnson, director of the influential Institute for Fiscal Studies said, due to a combination of tax rises and inflation.

More than half of the support package was "effectively a loan", Mr Johnson added."

exchemist

Veteran Member
From the link:

"Despite costing the government £9bn this year the average earner was still likely to be £400 worse off than last year, Paul Johnson, director of the influential Institute for Fiscal Studies said, due to a combination of tax rises and inflation.

More than half of the support package was "effectively a loan", Mr Johnson added."
I'm now a bit lost. Where does the government get that £9bn from?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Indeed. And you gave them your money.
My only point is that the money government uses on various things has to be raised from us. So any financial support they offer is handing us (or some of us) back the money we gave them. All they can do is redistribute it.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
My only point is that the money government uses on various things has to be raised from us.
Yes, that is generally how the government gets any money at all. Whether it is actually doing anything that's useful for the general public is a question of politics, not of property rights.

Otherwise I'd be talking about my employer "returning" the worth of my labor back to me whenever I get my paycheck.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Some topical funnies

Larry the #10 Cat
“I quit; everyone else is resigning and I don’t want to get stuck here with just Boris Johnson”
FKsZWXTWUA8Ol9D.jpeg

More here

21 of the funniest jokes about the mass resignations from Downing Street

exchemist

Veteran Member
Poll:

Should Nadine Dorries have her own TV show?
On GB News, perhaps. Actually, she's the kind of far-right airhead groupie that might just do that. And she can be quite telegenic, so it could work. Mad Nad certainly won't survive as a minister once Bozo is out.

But I wouldn't want to see it. She might give a certain sort of person another reason to watch GB News. And a home-grown Fox analogue would be disastrous for the country, just as it has been in the USA.

exchemist

Veteran Member
BBC interview. Tried to stonewall but just looked like a cretin (I know, I know).
She is strangely devoted to Bozo. She once slagged off Cameron and Osborne as "posh boys" that didn't know the price of milk, yet Bozo and Rees-Mogg are both OEs that out-posh anyone else on the planet - and have even less idea of how ordinary people live their lives.

It's a bit like Trump: the cosseted plutocrat that magically is exempted from being part of the hated "elite", while being a classic member of it.

Well, nobody else would ever make Dorries a minister, so maybe that's the reason.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
She is strangely devoted to Bozo. She once slagged off Cameron and Osborne as "posh boys" that didn't know the price of milk, yet Bozo and Rees-Mogg are both OEs that out-posh anyone else on the planet - and have even less idea of how ordinary people live their lives.

It's a bit like Trump: the cosseted plutocrat that magically is exempted from being part of the hated "elite", while being a classic member of it.

Well, nobody else would ever make Dorries a minister, so maybe that's the reason.
Maybe she's wheeled out knowing she'll be a distraction.

exchemist

Veteran Member
A speech that will go down in history, I believe.

Yes it was a very good speech, not least for the way he reached past Bozo to the Conservative party itself, inviting it to recall its honourable past. Far more effective than the absurd "Tory scum" leftie boilerplate we tend to get from Rayner. But it has had curiously little press coverage, as yet.

If and when Bozo is defenestrated, some observers may look back to the speech as a tipping point. But in fact, I suspect the real tipping point was not the speech itself but the reaction it provoked in Bozo, who was so shamed by it that he unwisely retaliated with that sub-QAnon paedo slur. It is that which has disgusted so many Tories, it seems. Perhaps they can see the risk of drifting into a horrible Trumpian world in which the leader revels in being a full-time arsehole, while the party spends its time being arseholes too, in order to support him.

I think we will see Bozo trying to Trump his way through. But it won't work, because there is no personality cult of Bozo: he has no tribal "base" of unquestioning supporters. In fact, what the epidemic has shown, rather poignantly, is the extent to which the British public has shown solidarity and people have looked after one another - hence the condemnation of Bozo's selfishness and contempt for their sacrifices, from both left and right.

Bozo has had it: it's just a question of when they flush him down the toilet bowl of history.

Last edited: