• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boris Johnson - let's see how he and his government performs....

Altfish

Veteran Member
Let's start with this...

"Investigation into man in public office who physically assaulted a woman dropped by man in highest public office, whose neighbours recently had to call the police after his female partner was heard screaming 'get off me'. This is now the Tory message, I guess."
Copied off Stephanie Merritt's tweet

Altfish

Veteran Member
"Boris Johnson says that a No Deal Brexit is a “million to one” possibility. And yet he’s set up a special cabinet committee, meeting daily, to prepare for No Deal which Michael Gove says is now the Government’s “No 1 priority”...so to summarise, the Government’s No. 1 priority is a million to one possibility."
Courtesy of Hilary Benn

Notanumber

A Free Man
Boris needs to release Tommy Robinson immediately, issue an official apology and compensate him for the unjust treatment dished out by the state for political reasons.

Altfish

Veteran Member
So the police exonerated him and said his actions were appropriate to the situation, what was the point of the thread?
That is one example of Boris' attitude to women. I never said the police should have been involved but is that the way you want one of your MPs behaving?
The thread is to watch what Boris says and what he does.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Let's start with this...

"Investigation into man in public office who physically assaulted a woman dropped by man in highest public office, whose neighbours recently had to call the police after his female partner was heard screaming 'get off me'. This is now the Tory message, I guess."
Copied off Stephanie Merritt's tweet

There have been times when protesters have been mishandled or treated poorly, and I believe it's correct to hold the politicians responsible for such actions.

Here's an article which is a bit dated, but relevant to the topic: How We Respond To Protest | HuffPost

Go into a protest expecting confrontation, and that’s what you’re likely to get. As Couper indicates, the default response to protest today is overwhelming force. Consider this ostentatious police presence at one of the recent strikes by Walmart workers, in a photo posted by Twitter user @RahwaOA:

Consider the massive police presence and unconstitutional police actions at the at the 2009 G20 summit in Pittsburgh, for example. Or the crackdowns on the Occupy protests. Or at the last several major political conventions, like the 2008 RNC in Minneapolis, the 2008 DNC in Denver, or the 2012 DNC in Charlotte. A few weeks ago, a TV producer for a cable news show asked me from what movie the image on the front of my book was taken. In fact, it was taken from the 2012 RNC in Tampa, Florida.

If your politics happen to lie to the right of the typical Occupy or political convention protester, don’t think it can’t happen to you. In 2008, Maryland State Police paid out $385,000 for the illegal arrest of anti-abortion activists at a rally in Harford County. Or look at the the massive, violent police raid on the home of gun rights activists and anarchist rabble rouser Adam Kokesh earlier this year.

But the current template for protest — to show up in full riot gear on day one — goes back to the 1999 WTO protests in Seattle. Initial reports suggested the protesters were violent and out of control from the start, and that the city was woefully unprepared. In truth, while the protesters did engage in civil disobedience, they were overwhelmingly nonviolent. There was some property damage, but even the vandals, looters, and anarchists never turned violent. There were no fatalities, and fewer than 100 injuries. The most serious injury was broken arm.

If anything, the city may have been over-prepared. The cops had been given hundreds of hours of training, and may have gone into the event with the mindset that violence was inevitable. A Seattle City Council investigation later found that the police who handled the event were panic-stricken from the start, and had been put on edge by exaggerated crowd estimates and unfounded rumors, such as that protesters were throwing Molotov cocktails. (This wasn’t true.) In 2004 the city of Seattle paid out a financial settlement with 157 protesters who had been illegally arrested. In 2007 a federal jury found that the city had violated the Fourth Amendment rights of 170 more.

For my book, I also interviewed Norm Stamper, Seattle’s police chief during the WTO protests. Stamper now calls the crackdown one of the worst mistakes of his career. “We gassed fellow Americans engaging in civil disobedience,” Stamper says. “We set a number of precedents, most of them bad. And police departments across the country learned all the wrong lessons from us. That’s disheartening. So disheartening. I mean, you look at what happened to those Occupy protesters at UC Davis, where the cop just pepper sprays them down like he’s watering a bed of flowers, and I think that we played a part in making that sort of thing so common—so easy to do now. It’s beyond cringe- worthy. I wish to hell my career had ended on a happier note.”

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Let's face it, it wasn't a good start to lie about EU regulations on kippers (source) at the end of his election campaign. Par for the course though - he has actually been sacked for lying, twice (source).

Stanyon

WWMRD?
That is one example of Boris' attitude to women. I never said the police should have been involved but is that the way you want one of your MPs behaving?
The thread is to watch what Boris says and what he does.

Would it have made a difference if it were a man? I believe in equality not special treatment, the police exonerated him.