• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Body mods!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
This is very cool, I have seen very cool ritual makeup and body art. I have thought about trying to add it to my own Rituals, maybe the next time I set up for something I will. Is your hair too dark for dyes? That's the problem I have with hair colors, I have to bleach first and that is way too damaging.

Well, my hair was too dark but I'm going silver young and am probably 50% grey already. I use natural herbal dyes only right now. To make it work, I have to leave it in for like 3 hours or so. Not all of that is because it's a herbal - others who use the same doesn't take as long. My hair is just very thick and does not like taking dye. I would have to bleach to get it to take dye regardless, probably, and I just... that process scares me and is bad for your hair, as they say. I tried a temp color thing, and it sort of worked on a test strand, but it was so gods awful smelling even the small test strand made me very nauseous. So I went "nope" and returned it to the store... haha.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I don't recommend religious tattoos. I have a couple, and none of them fit my views anymore. Beliefs are too fluid to be permanently inked.

Yeah, I have thought this at times, though they can still serve as path markers.

My husband has a giant blue cross on his arm, though he is no longer Christian(honestly, he never was too deep into it. More of a cultural thing of the south). He doesn't regret it; he says it reminds him of his great Grandmother's faith(he was close with her).

Yah, I also kinna view these tattoos more as path markers for me as well. I'm no longer religious, but religion has played a major role in my life. Lessons have been learned, and it's good to honor and remember those lessons, and especially to remember the strings attatched to those lessons...

It wasn't meant to be... the person who did it(a roommate) bent the metal all out of shape. It was permanent when she got done with it...

A good reason on why its best just to pay a professional....

Oh no!!! You're lucky it didn't get infected! It's definitely best to go to a professional to have it done. The best thing about going to a piercing parlor is that your piercer gets to know you, and what you like, and they can order things according to your preferences; assuming one has the luxury of money to spend, that is! :D

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh no!!! You're lucky it didn't get infected! It's definitely best to go to a professional to have it done. The best thing about going to a piercing parlor is that your piercer gets to know you, and what you like, and they can order things according to your preferences; assuming one has the luxury of money to spend, that is! :D

Yeah, it has its issues, but what else do you do when you're 18(the age I was at the time of the piercing) and all you can afford is bills and food?:D

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Yeah, it has its issues, but what else do you do when you're 18(the age I was at the time of the piercing) and all you can afford is bills and food?:D

True! I certainly never did anything ill advised or reckless at that age... or... still to this day. :innocent:

exchemist

Veteran Member
I have 2 pierced lobes and I've just had my septum done. I plan on stretching my ears to at least 00gauge, though I might go to half inch if I think it would look ok going a little bigger. I'd still like to keep it on the smaller end of the spectrum considering I work in a professional setting (though, I wouldn't be the only person with stretched ears who works a professional job where I live, especially in my hospital). I plan on stretching my septum to 8g, and getting upper lobe piercings at 8 gauge when my ears are done stretching.

As for tattoos, I only have 2. The first one is this tattoo I got in the mid 2000s at 3 in the morning by some shady guy named Smiley. It looks exactly like you would expect from a shady guy named smiley who is doing tattoos at 3 in the morning. I am definitely going to do something with that later on... I also have a bindrune above my right elbow capped on either side with a bronze age style sun and moon. I definitely plan on filling the arm out until it eventually becomes a sleeve. I think next (after covering smiley's masterpiece) I'll have a runestone style midgard serpent wrapped around my arm encasing a passage from the Havamal written in runes. I think after that I will fill in the empty spaces with bronze age petroglyphs, and then maybe fill in the rest with shaded waves. The thing will be line work, but it will be done in black and grey with red lettering for the runes and such.

Do you have piercings? Tattoos? Maybe you have found yourself under the surgeon's knife? How have you had your appearance perminantly altered? Maybe you don't have any now, but would like some. Maybe you plan on getting some in the future. Do tell!
Er, whut??

The only OO gauge I know is this:

s-l300.jpg

And to be honest, from the tenor of this thread, I'd like to keep it that way.:confused:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Don't lie... I know that you have nipple rings no one at work knows about. It's ok, we won't judge. :D
Arf arf.

Speaking of model railways and body piercing, there's a charming girl at the supermarket who looks lovely, except that she has what I call "electric bogies" - sort of metal snot, dangling from each nostril. What do you call that?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Arf arf.

Speaking of model railways and body piercing, there's a charming girl at the supermarket who looks lovely, except that she has what I call "electric bogies" - sort of metal snot, dangling from each nostril. What do you call that?

I actually had that done myself a week and a half ago! It's called a septum piercing. If it looks like this...

6236f40aefcac5fb073b636f1399011a.jpg

That's a circular barbell. It's also known as a horseshoe.

If it looks like this...

Jovivi-U-Shaped-Nose-Septum-Retainer-Piercing-316L-Surgical-Stainless-Steel-Nose-Ring-Body-Piercing-Jewelry.jpg

It's a retainer. This particular style is known as a staple. It's the kind I have right now, though only until it heals over, which I will then stretch and replace with a plug. :D

exchemist

Veteran Member
I actually had that done myself a week and a half ago! It's called a septum piercing. If it looks like this...

6236f40aefcac5fb073b636f1399011a.jpg

That's a circular barbell. It's also known as a horseshoe.

If it looks like this...

Jovivi-U-Shaped-Nose-Septum-Retainer-Piercing-316L-Surgical-Stainless-Steel-Nose-Ring-Body-Piercing-Jewelry.jpg

It's a retainer. This particular style is known as a staple. It's the kind I have right now, though only until it heals over, which I will then stretch and replace with a plug. :D
Yeah, that's them!

Electric bogies!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have 2 pierced lobes and I've just had my septum done. I plan on stretching my ears to at least 00gauge, though I might go to half inch if I think it would look ok going a little bigger. I'd still like to keep it on the smaller end of the spectrum considering I work in a professional setting (though, I wouldn't be the only person with stretched ears who works a professional job where I live, especially in my hospital). I plan on stretching my septum to 8g, and getting upper lobe piercings at 8 gauge when my ears are done stretching.

As for tattoos, I only have 2. The first one is this tattoo I got in the mid 2000s at 3 in the morning by some shady guy named Smiley. It looks exactly like you would expect from a shady guy named smiley who is doing tattoos at 3 in the morning. I am definitely going to do something with that later on... I also have a bindrune above my right elbow capped on either side with a bronze age style sun and moon. I definitely plan on filling the arm out until it eventually becomes a sleeve. I think next (after covering smiley's masterpiece) I'll have a runestone style midgard serpent wrapped around my arm encasing a passage from the Havamal written in runes. I think after that I will fill in the empty spaces with bronze age petroglyphs, and then maybe fill in the rest with shaded waves. The thing will be line work, but it will be done in black and grey with red lettering for the runes and such.

Do you have piercings? Tattoos? Maybe you have found yourself under the surgeon's knife? How have you had your appearance perminantly altered? Maybe you don't have any now, but would like some. Maybe you plan on getting some in the future. Do tell!
I have no issues with earrings, or even tattoos, even if these latter often turn into a dark mush over time when very extensive, but I would like to know why any here go in for nose-studs or nose-rings. What drives you to have such?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I have no issues with earrings, or even tattoos, even if these latter often turn into a dark mush over time when very extensive, but I would like to know why any here go in for nose-studs or nose-rings. What drives you to have such?

When you say nose studs or rings, do you mean nostril piercings, or septum piercings?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
When you say nose studs or rings, do you mean nostril piercings, or septum piercings?
Septum piercing being the more noticeable probably, and perhaps provoking the biggest differences in likes/dislikes. Nose studs can be so small as to be hardly noticeable. I'm old enough not to have grown up with virtually any such apart from the odd sailor having a tattoo, and as such I know my views will likely be conditioned by my past.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Septum piercing being the more noticeable probably, and perhaps provoking the biggest differences in likes/dislikes. Nose studs can be so small as to be hardly noticeable. I'm old enough not to have grown up with virtually any such apart from the odd sailor having a tattoo, and as such I know my views will likely be conditioned by my past.

Oh! Well, seeing as how I have a septum piercing, I can tell you at least why I got mine done. :D

See, I'm not really a showy person, despite my piercings and tattoos. The only visible thinga I have really, are my ears. I wanted to continue that trend, but I also wanted a facial piercing. See, the thing about septum piercings is they can actually be flipped up into the nose without anyone noticing there even is anything there.

For me, after mine heals, I plan on putting a plug up there 99% of the time. When special events happen, I might switch it out for a ring or a pincher or something, but ultimately I just like the idea of having a piercing most folks wouldn't realise was even there at all.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Oh! Well, seeing as how I have a septum piercing, I can tell you at least why I got mine done. :D

See, I'm not really a showy person, despite my piercings and tattoos. The only visible thinga I have really, are my ears. I wanted to continue that trend, but I also wanted a facial piercing. See, the thing about septum piercings is they can actually be flipped up into the nose without anyone noticing there even is anything there.

For me, after mine heals, I plan on putting a plug up there 99% of the time. When special events happen, I might switch it out for a ring or a pincher or something, but ultimately I just like the idea of having a piercing most folks wouldn't realise was even there at all.
Thanks for that. I can see how such can be hidden when required, which is not so for some modifications, and which might affect the work one will be offered. There seems to be as many reasons for modifying one's body as one might want but I am interested as to why some do it, but it hardly matters since I do believe people have the choice to do as they please. And any negative reactions they might get can be dismissed as they please too - since we can't do much about such.