• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Body mods!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Meh... We're all just flesh bags anyways. We'll all return to the earth some day, but until then, why not have fun with it? :D

Also, there is a pretty cool character building aspect to it; especially in terms of stretching. It puts you in tune with your body, the way it heals, it's limits, and it forces you to respect patience and timing. I can see how some cultures have applied spiritual aspects to body modifications...

The only experience I have with body modification is negative. I didn't do it for me, I did it because I was bullied and pressured to conform to stereotypes that didn't fit me to begin with. The damage from this mutilation is permanent. Add to that the fact that I've not felt comfortable in my body since I was a kid, and... well... I'm not going to view any of this in a positive light on a personal level.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Never called to me. No understanding of why folks love it so much.

Well, it's not for everyone for sure!

For me, I like to see the ways people express themselves, culturally. I see beauty in things like this.

43641a8fc9617bf396be638b789d21ce.jpg

20190322_j1JgDvFQ3AsO5TN.jpg

172275.jpg

Much like other forms of cultural expression, it tells a story of those people who have them. That includes myself, and the culture in which I live now. It's also a personal journey, and a way to wear your heart on your sleeve- both figuratively and literally.

The fact that you, and others don't like them and would never get them done is also in itself cultural expression as well. :D

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Hmmm... have you thought about having your blowout scalpelled? I hear that removes the scar tissue and makes it easier to restretch.

I've seen your septum! Looks awesome. :D

I thought about getting a labret, too. I love the way they look, but I wanted to stretch it up to the point where I could wear a stone plug. I love the way stone jewelry looks, and I plan on getting a lot of stone stuff once my piercings are all in. I did hear that they mess up your teeth, though, so I opted for the septum instead. That, and the septum is great to have as a part time piercing since I can just throw a plug up there that no one can see.
Thanks. :) Yes, I've thought about getting it scapelled but I may not need to if I take it slow and use Vitamin E oil. I'll have to talk with someone at a good piercing studio and see what they think.

Labrets are cool, just be careful of your teeth!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have 2 pierced lobes and I've just had my septum done. I plan on stretching my ears to at least 00gauge, though I might go to half inch if I think it would look ok going a little bigger. I'd still like to keep it on the smaller end of the spectrum considering I work in a professional setting (though, I wouldn't be the only person with stretched ears who works a professional job where I live, especially in my hospital). I plan on stretching my septum to 8g, and getting upper lobe piercings at 8 gauge when my ears are done stretching.

As for tattoos, I only have 2. The first one is this tattoo I got in the mid 2000s at 3 in the morning by some shady guy named Smiley. It looks exactly like you would expect from a shady guy named smiley who is doing tattoos at 3 in the morning. I am definitely going to do something with that later on... I also have a bindrune above my right elbow capped on either side with a bronze age style sun and moon. I definitely plan on filling the arm out until it eventually becomes a sleeve. I think next (after covering smiley's masterpiece) I'll have a runestone style midgard serpent wrapped around my arm encasing a passage from the Havamal written in runes. I think after that I will fill in the empty spaces with bronze age petroglyphs, and then maybe fill in the rest with shaded waves. The thing will be line work, but it will be done in black and grey with red lettering for the runes and such.

Do you have piercings? Tattoos? Maybe you have found yourself under the surgeon's knife? How have you had your appearance perminantly altered? Maybe you don't have any now, but would like some. Maybe you plan on getting some in the future. Do tell!

I have never had any body mods, i am (was, see below) very happy with my natural body. I think the human body is beautiful so does not need trinkets added but each to their own.

Last summer i had a minor stomach op that went wrong. It took 3 surgeons 5 hours to fix it (almost). It left a 15 inch scar across the top right of my stomach and down the right side to my groin. Six months later I earned another parallel scar be because they had to open me up again to try improving the repairs. My stomach used to be a thing to admire, it now upsets me to see the mess, but at least i am still alive

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
The only experience I have with body modification is negative. I didn't do it for me, I did it because I was bullied and pressured to conform to stereotypes that didn't fit me to begin with. The damage from this mutilation is permanent. Add to that the fact that I've not felt comfortable in my body since I was a kid, and... well... I'm not going to view any of this in a positive light on a personal level.

Yah... I wouldn't either if I was in your shoes.

There definitely would be negative aspects, considering it does leave perminant damage. I guess like all things in life, the things that happen to us leave scars- be they mental, or physical.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I have never had any body mods, i am (was, see below) very happy with my natural body. I think the human body is beautiful so does not need trinkets added but each to their own.

Last summer i had a minor stomach op that went wrong. It took 3 surgeons 5 hours to fix it (almost). It left a 15 inch scar across the top right of my stomach and down the right side to my groin. Six months later I earned another parallel scar be because they had to open me up again to try improving the repairs. My stomach used to be a thing to admire, it now upsets me to see the mess, but at least i am still alive
I've got a long, manly scar across my abdomen, a trophy from a knife fight. OK, I was born with pyloric stenosis and was operated on to save my life. Thank you, dear surgeon.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I've been lucky in that I've had a lot of my work done in between the covid waves. Now, anything I need done has to wait... Until then, I can stretch mah new piercings! :D

What kind of ink work do you want done?
There are two projects. I would love a fine line black and gray quarter/half sleeve on my right arm. I would also like an American traditional Tudor rose on my calf with a dagger.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Never called to me. No understanding of why folks love it so much.
A lot of it has to do with what subculture you may be a part of. I got into it in high school because I was into hardcore punk and metalcore, and tats and piercings just kind of go along with that. My mom wasn't happy that I stretched my lobes but she let me do it, anyway, and bought the stuff for it. Rather ironic, since she had my ears pierced as a baby.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I've got a long, manly scar across my abdomen, a trophy from a knife fight. OK, I was born with pyloric stenosis and was operated on to save my life. Thank you, dear surgeon.

Amen to that! Due to a skilled surgeon, he was able to fix my screwed up arm. Now I got metal in it, but I can use it just fine now. That's kind of one reason I got the tattoo where I did; it's a reference to the fact that one day I will most likely lose function of that arm. Until then, though, I'm gonna take advantage while I still can! :D

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
There are two projects. I would love a fine line black and gray quarter/half sleeve on my right arm. I would also like an American traditional Tudor rose on my calf with a dagger.

Hell yah! That sounds ******. I want some american traditional style tattoos as well. I'd like to get one featuring the Cascadia flag (as seen in my avatar) with a camping scene. Maybe something similar to this.

165485.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Amen to that! Due to a skilled surgeon, he was able to fix my screwed up arm. Now I got metal in it, but I can use it just fine now. That's kind of one reason I got the tattoo where I did; it's a reference to the fact that one day I will most likely lose function of that arm. Until then, though, I'm gonna take advantage while I still can! :D

Lol. As a child i broke my elbow, the surgeon had to hold it together with a silver pin. I have a six inch scar that is mostly faded. The pin has dissolved now but until i was about 30 i couldn't pass an airport metal detector without setting it off.

I went on holiday to Bulgaria, landing at Sofia airport which was at the time joint military/civilian with armed guards stationed every few metres. The metal detector alarm duly sounded. The sound of 6 Kalashnikovs being cocked and pointed at you sure loosens the bowels.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Lol. As a child i broke my elbow, the surgeon had to hold it together with a silver pin. I have a six inch scar that is mostly faded. The pin has dissolved now but until i was about 30 i couldn't pass an airport metal detector without setting it off.

I went on holiday to Bulgaria, landing at Sofia airport which was at the time joint military/civilian with armed guards stationed every few metres. The metal detector alarm duly sounded. The sound of 6 Kalashnikovs being cocked and pointed at you sure loosens the bowels.

Oh my god!!!

Does Bulgaria really have that many enemies?! Jeez!

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I don't know what it's called, but it'll several hoops lining the outside of my ear, and probably the tragus of that ear. And likely also nasallang.

One that's going to be super awesome, especially since I drew it myself. And I'm finally in a better position to save up for it, so it'll finally get to be more than talking about it and getting it (I"ve been talking about this one for a few years now).
[GALLERY=media, 7797]Eye by Shadow Wolf posted Oct 20, 2016 at 2:00 PM[/GALLERY]

Nasallang?!?! You are brave for sure! I've seen videos of that piercing and it seems... Harrowing.

I might get my tragus in the future. I've come to realize that I have abnormally large ones, which gives me more realestate for something more interesting. I might go and get a biopsy punch in the future... I'm a little apprehensive about getting cartilage done since I am a side sleeper.

I love that tattoo design! Reminds me a lot of the artwork done by Alex Grey. Very TOOL inspired looking. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have 2 pierced lobes and I've just had my septum done. I plan on stretching my ears to at least 00gauge, though I might go to half inch if I think it would look ok going a little bigger. I'd still like to keep it on the smaller end of the spectrum considering I work in a professional setting (though, I wouldn't be the only person with stretched ears who works a professional job where I live, especially in my hospital). I plan on stretching my septum to 8g, and getting upper lobe piercings at 8 gauge when my ears are done stretching.

As for tattoos, I only have 2. The first one is this tattoo I got in the mid 2000s at 3 in the morning by some shady guy named Smiley. It looks exactly like you would expect from a shady guy named smiley who is doing tattoos at 3 in the morning. I am definitely going to do something with that later on... I also have a bindrune above my right elbow capped on either side with a bronze age style sun and moon. I definitely plan on filling the arm out until it eventually becomes a sleeve. I think next (after covering smiley's masterpiece) I'll have a runestone style midgard serpent wrapped around my arm encasing a passage from the Havamal written in runes. I think after that I will fill in the empty spaces with bronze age petroglyphs, and then maybe fill in the rest with shaded waves. The thing will be line work, but it will be done in black and grey with red lettering for the runes and such.

Do you have piercings? Tattoos? Maybe you have found yourself under the surgeon's knife? How have you had your appearance perminantly altered? Maybe you don't have any now, but would like some. Maybe you plan on getting some in the future. Do tell!

I have a pair of sort of large gold earrings. Not that common for a 67 year old white male. It's a throwback to more ancient days in Hinduism when nearly all men had earrings. The British (or Muslims maybe) shamed us out of it, but it's slowly coming back. Most South Indian Brahmin priests have them.

I like the ideas, and the art. Once Covid is over I'll probably get the image you see by my posts on my shoulder. That'll be my first tattoo. I've done temporary piercings for religious ritual, and have a general interest in it.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I have a pair of sort of large gold earrings. Not that common for a 67 year old white male. It's a throwback to more ancient days in Hinduism when nearly all men had earrings. The British (or Muslims maybe) shamed us out of it, but it's slowly coming back. Most South Indian Brahmin priests have them.

I like the ideas, and the art. Once Covid is over I'll probably get the image you see by my posts on my shoulder. That'll be my first tattoo. I've done temporary piercings for religious ritual, and have a general interest in it.

I love that... I had to google it just to see what they looked like. Very cool! :D

I love the idea for your tattoo, too. Just be sure you do research before you get your tattoo done. What you want is someone who does really good line work. It may look simple, but solid line work is deceptively difficult. Nowadays tattoo artists are more specialized. Some focus in water color style tattoos, others in ultra realism, others in linework, etc etc.