• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Body mods!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I love that... I had to google it just to see what they looked like. Very cool! :D

I love the idea for your tattoo, too. Just be sure you do research before you get your tattoo done. What you want is someone who does really good line work. It may look simple, but solid line work is deceptively difficult. Nowadays tattoo artists are more specialized. Some focus in water color style tattoos, others in ultra realism, others in linework, etc etc.

My 'gal' for piercings does work in suspensions, but works at a high end studio. It'll be fine. My tattoo will be plain black, and simple, just like you see it.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Like many U.S. males I was circumcised as an infant, although as an adult I frown upon the practice.

Yah, me too. I guess I don't really care one way or the other. Women I've been with tell me they prefer the look of someone who has been circumcised. Ultimately, It hasn't really effected me too much, as far as I've noticed.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yah, me too. I guess I don't really care one way or the other. Women I've been with tell me they prefer the look of someone who has been circumcised. Ultimately, It hasn't really effected me too much, as far as I've noticed.

Must admit, the look of a circumcised penis is nicer than that floppy tube if skin.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Must admit, the look of a circumcised penis is nicer than that floppy tube if skin.
Disagree. Personally I find circ scars gross and intact ones are more fun and easier to play with. Some are basically deformed and disfigured by it, with a loss of sensitivity. But I'm not going to hold it against someone for something they had no choice in, if I'm attracted to them as a person.

Jedster

@SigurdReginson

Around the age of 48 I started dating a new lady(my then marriage had finished) and one day she phoned me up and said, "let's go and get pissed(drunk) tomorrow morning".
I was never a drinker, but nevertheless decided to try it out, although I thought it strange to get drunk in the morning.
When I went to meet her she laughed and said , "I said pierced not pissed(drunk)".
So I went and got pierced in one earlobe and by the end of another few months I had 3 in each earlobe.
After about 12 years my ears became a bit sore so I removed them.
I also have 4 tattoos. 2 covering my right arm, 1 on my upper left arm and one on my upper back. (nothing offensive, I should add).

I really like body art.

ETA I ended up marrying said lady and we are still happily together.

Last edited:

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
@SigurdReginson

Around the age of 48 I started dating a new lady(my then marriage had finished) and one day she phoned me up and said, "let's go and get pissed(drunk) tomorrow morning".
I was never a drinker, but nevertheless decided to try it out, although I thought it strange to get drunk in the morning.
When I went to meet her she laughed and said , "I said pierced not pissed(drunk)".
So I went and got pierced in one earlobe and by the end of another few months I had 3 in each earlobe.
After about 12 years my ears became a bit sore so I removed them.
I also have 4 tattoos. 2 covering my right arm, 1 on my upper left arm and one on my upper back. (nothing offensive, I should add).

I really like body art.

ETA I ended up marrying said lady and we still happily together.

Awwww!!! This makes my day. You're a lucky guy! :D

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
As for tats...If I had gotten tattoos, I would be covered in band logos and such. I would like to get some but it's not a priority. The first one I want to get is actually some Lady Gaga lyrics I love, a portrait of my mom with a lyrical reference on it and maybe some Heathen and LHP stuff.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I never could get the body mutilation fads that come and go. I suppose it has tribal and historical roots but aside from tattoos which can be symbolic of something, I can't figure the symbolism of Buddha ears, pierced tongues, pierced noses, stretched necks, wrapped feet, elongated skulls, etc.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I never could get the body mutilation fads that come and go. I suppose it has tribal and historical roots but aside from tattoos which can be symbolic of something, I can't figure the symbolism of Buddha ears, pierced tongues, pierced noses, stretched necks, wrapped feet, elongated skulls, etc.

Yes, those are tribal and cultural practices. Pretty all body modifications have roots in tribal practices. Europeans did it, too, but stopped because of Christian influence. The Celts and Germanic tribes practiced tattooing and other things.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've had three children. Does that count for a 'mod'?(More like disfigurement....)

I had my lip double pierced when I was younger, but when I was in labor with my eldest son, they had a hospital policy that no one could have body jewelry in. But mine was meant to be permanent. So they called the maintenance man to come cut them out with his big tool belt... really weird. Unfortunately, I was really poor back then, and by the time I saved up enough money to buy new jewelry, the holes had closed(and I couldn't afford to get it redone).

I've got a Libra sign on my shoulder, a ring of thorns on my left hand ring finger(has nothing to do with marriage, but that's always what everyone thinks), and a picture of Trent from the old cartoon Daria tattooed on my back.

I was always more about hair color. Haven't had a natural hair color on my head in 22 years. Its green/turquoise now.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member

Some of those modifications have had horrible consequences for sure. Just look at what corsets did to victorian age women, or foot binding. Are butt injections, botox, silicone implanted muscles, or other such things much better?

20917622-0-image-a-80_1573577930256.jpg

It's a complicated subject. Some of the things that are body modifications are in fact mutilation. Other times, it's simply cultural expression. Sometimes it's both. I guess it's like anything else in life... Good, bad, and everything in between.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yah... I wouldn't either if I was in your shoes.

There definitely would be negative aspects, considering it does leave perminant damage. I guess like all things in life, the things that happen to us leave scars- be they mental, or physical.

Yeah, I'm not really upset about it... it's just sad that it happened. If nothing else, the experience makes me very sympathetic to transsexuals and in a way a bit envious that folks are allowed to be a lot more open about nonconformity these days. My folks accepted it just fine, but other kids and their parents? Gods, the closed-mindedness was sad. It mostly taught me to not give a crap about fitting (or not) into other people's boxes... and to just accept others for who they are.

The Body and Mind are a temple. Decorate!!!

I will do temporary body art for ritual purposes sometimes, but nothing permanent. They are seasonal rituals, so making it permanent would be somewhat antithetical. If chemical hair dyes worked for me I'd change hair colors to match the seasons. Ah, well.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
As for tats...If I had gotten tattoos, I would be covered in band logos and such. I would like to get some but it's not a priority. The first one I want to get is actually some Lady Gaga lyrics I love, a portrait of my mom with a lyrical reference on it and maybe some Heathen and LHP stuff.

Nice! yah, getting heathen stuff would be a priority of mine too. Just be careful about portraits... They are the hardest thing to nail, as far as good tattoos go.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I've had three children. Does that count for a 'mod'?(More like disfigurement....)

I had my lip double pierced when I was younger, but when I was in labor with my eldest son, they had a hospital policy that no one could have body jewelry in. But mine was meant to be permanent. So they called the maintenance man to come cut them out with his big tool belt... really weird. Unfortunately, I was really poor back then, and by the time I saved up enough money to buy new jewelry, the holes had closed(and I couldn't afford to get it redone).

I've got a Libra sign on my shoulder, a ring of thorns on my left hand ring finger(has nothing to do with marriage, but that's always what everyone thinks), and a picture of Trent from the old cartoon Daria tattooed on my back.

I was always more about hair color. Haven't had a natural hair color on my head in 22 years. Its green/turquoise now.

Oh no! What a bummer! I didn't even know they have jewelry that couldn't be removed... Shoot!

Sounds like you have meaningful tattoos. Those are the best kinds, IMO.

My sister is much the same way with her hair color. I might be too, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm shaved bald. :D

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Nice! yah, getting heathen stuff would be a priority of mine too. Just be careful about portraits... They are the hardest thing to nail, as far as good tattoos go.

I don't recommend religious tattoos. I have a couple, and none of them fit my views anymore. Beliefs are too fluid to be permanently inked.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I will do temporary body art for ritual purposes sometimes, but nothing permanent. They are seasonal rituals, so making it permanent would be somewhat antithetical. If chemical hair dyes worked for me I'd change hair colors to match the seasons. Ah, well.

This is very cool, I have seen very cool ritual makeup and body art. I have thought about trying to add it to my own Rituals, maybe the next time I set up for something I will. Is your hair too dark for dyes? That's the problem I have with hair colors, I have to bleach first and that is way too damaging.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't recommend religious tattoos. I have a couple, and none of them fit my views anymore. Beliefs are too fluid to be permanently inked.

Yeah, I have thought this at times, though they can still serve as path markers.

My husband has a giant blue cross on his arm, though he is no longer Christian(honestly, he never was too deep into it. More of a cultural thing of the south). He doesn't regret it; he says it reminds him of his great Grandmother's faith(he was close with her).

Oh no! What a bummer! I didn't even know they have jewelry that couldn't be removed... Shoot!

:D
It wasn't meant to be... the person who did it(a roommate) bent the metal all out of shape. It was permanent when she got done with it...

A good reason on why its best just to pay a professional....