• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best places to live in the USA?

Viker

Häxan
Northern California (I'm contemplating resettling there). Oregon. Washington state. Hawaii.

I've visited and briefly stayed at the Lost Coast in northern California. I loved it and miss it. I camped and rode an enduro there on logging roads deep in the redwood forest and along the Pacific coast. Total paradise. And the people were mostly friendly. Maybe because I was an obvious tourist?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There are some pretty crappy places to live in the USA

But what are the nicest places to live?
Funny how he ignored the homeless living his own state.

What constitutes nicest in the first place?

Wealth? Friendliness?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I believe the best place to live is the place you find most comfortable & convenient for you. I've lived all 79 years of my life in three places in Michigan [Detroit area, Kalamazoo, and da U.P.], and I'd rather be here than anywhere else. Although, Montreal, Quebec, could be very tempting.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Northern California (I'm contemplating resettling there). Oregon. Washington state. Hawaii.
Maybe add Alaska? At least they have something like an UBI.
And what do all these places have in common? They are maximally distant from DC.

RestlessSoul

I believe the best place to live is the place you find most comfortable & convenient for you. I've lived all 79 years of my life in three places in Michigan [Detroit area, Kalamazoo, and da U.P.], and I'd rather be here than anywhere else. Although, Montreal, Quebec, could be very tempting.

As a Brit, I've always found American place names enormously evocative. Kalamazoo has to be right up there.

And I love the James Brown track Night Train, where he just reels off the names all these cities, finishing with 'Don't forget N'Orleans, the home of the blues.'

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
As a Brit, I've always found American place names enormously evocative. Kalamazoo has to be right up there.

And I love the James Brown track Night Train, where he just reels off the names all these cities, finishing with 'Don't forget N'Orleans, the home of the blues.'
want American cities reeled off....

Wu Wei

So far, for me, the best place appears to be Maine..... sadly I do not live there....yet

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There are some pretty crappy places to live in the USA

But what are the nicest places to live?
My town is rated best in the country.
Last year, anyway.
We'll see what 2024 offers for competition.
It has its problems, but hey....what place doesn't, eh.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Kay Zoo" to us locals.
Ypsilanti is called "Ypsitucky" because of
southern migration to work in the
Willow Run bomber plant in WW2.

Wu Wei

"Kay Zoo" to us locals.

Ypsilanti is called "Ypsitucky" because of
southern migration to work in the
Willow Run bomber plant in WW2.
Kalamazoo is 45 minutes north of where a WHOLE Lot of my relatives (likely hundreds), who I have not seen in over 30 years, likely live or were born. And since it has been over 30 years...I'm sure a whole lot more popped up since then, that I have never meant.....

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Kalamazoo is 45 minutes north of where a WHOLE Lot of my relatives (likely hundreds), who I have not seen in over 30 years, likely live or were born. And since it has been over 30 years...I'm sure a whole lot more popped up since then, that I have never meant.....
Bears in the wild haven't been
seen in Kayzoo in over a century.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Live in a college town. Just in general. Things you'll tend to see in a well-educated college town community:
  • More high quality and niche interest locally owned businesses that you typically only find in a big city
  • Excellent public transportation systems because they are needed to serve the students
  • A very active local community scene that puts on art festivals, special events, markets, and more
  • More cultural diversity because colleges and universities attract and employ internationals
  • A taxpayer base who is willing and able to support great public works projects to improve city amenities
I love living in a college town. It's part of why I'm still here. Great public and civic services, some of the best in the nation public transit, excellent seasonal farmer's markets, many cultural centers, tons of ethnic food stores, lots of really great and unique local businesses... it's like how it was when I lived around a big city for a few years except without all the PITA that comes with big cities. Seriously, live in a college town.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Live in a college town. Just in general. Things you'll tend to see in a well-educated college town community:
  • More high quality and niche interest locally owned businesses that you typically only find in a big city
  • Excellent public transportation systems because they are needed to serve the students
  • A very active local community scene that puts on art festivals, special events, markets, and more
  • More cultural diversity because colleges and universities attract and employ internationals
  • A taxpayer base who is willing and able to support great public works projects to improve city amenities
I love living in a college town. It's part of why I'm still here. Great public and civic services, some of the best in the nation public transit, excellent seasonal farmer's markets, many cultural centers, tons of ethnic food stores, lots of really great and unique local businesses... it's like how it was when I lived around a big city for a few years except without all the PITA that comes with big cities. Seriously, live in a college town.
College towns are even better without the students.
Go summer!