• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best places to live in the USA?

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I'm a troll (under the Mackinac Bridge).
so you LIED!!!!! you don't live in, or near, Ann Arbor... and it also matters WHICH side of the bridge you live under.... north or south side..... one side you STILL live in a mitten...the other...the upper peninsula

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
so you LIED!!!!! you don't live in, or near, Ann Arbor... and it also matters WHICH side of the bridge you live under.... north or south side..... one side you STILL live in a mitten...the other...the upper peninsula
Ann Arbor is under the bridge.
Most of the way to the state that's
round on both ends, & hi in the middle.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
want American cities reeled off....

Great! Thanks. I lived a couple of years in Australia in the 1960s. They had their own version with Australian towns. I can't remember the artist. He added a bit on the end where the trucker says "There's only one place you haven't been to, and you don't need my help to get there!"

Last edited:

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Live in a college town. Just in general. Things you'll tend to see in a well-educated college town community:
  • More high quality and niche interest locally owned businesses that you typically only find in a big city
  • Excellent public transportation systems because they are needed to serve the students
  • A very active local community scene that puts on art festivals, special events, markets, and more
  • More cultural diversity because colleges and universities attract and employ internationals
  • A taxpayer base who is willing and able to support great public works projects to improve city amenities
I love living in a college town. It's part of why I'm still here. Great public and civic services, some of the best in the nation public transit, excellent seasonal farmer's markets, many cultural centers, tons of ethnic food stores, lots of really great and unique local businesses... it's like how it was when I lived around a big city for a few years except without all the PITA that comes with big cities. Seriously, live in a college town.

I also live in a college town. I find after two big cities it's a very relaxed place to be. Friendly people, patient drivers, hardly any traffic jams, low crime and pretty much everything you get in a big city (particularly restaurants) though obviously less of it.

I don't want to say where in case it attracts a lot of people that will spoil it!

Alien826

No religious beliefs
You're giving me Heimweh. Time to visit my folks again. I plan to be there on summer solstice. I'll sit on the dunes and watch the sun go down over the North Sea and slightly visible where it must be behind the horizon until it rises again a few hours later.

I grew up in a little town on the Norfolk/Suffolk border. I'm in the middle of the USA now and never get to see an ocean. I too loved those coastal areas you describe, and miss them a lot. There's something about the sea that you don't get from a river or lake, though those have their charms.

Edit: You used a German word, so maybe we're not talking about the same places. Same emotions though?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Edit: You used a German word,
Interestingly, my spell checker didn't complain. Seems like the word has been adapted. The literal translation is "home pain". Homesickness is the closest, but it doesn't exactly fit.
so maybe we're not talking about the same places. Same emotions though?
Probably not the same place, but likely the same feeling.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Most of it is a bit crap, tbh. ;)

That's the way we like it. If an area is too pretty, unpolluted and unspoilt, if everything works properly, and if isn't a bit rundowm, no Brit would feel at home there.

I've been to London, and taken the train to Eastbourne to see the Seven Sisters. All of it was lovely! :heart:

anna.

but mostly it's the same
It is certainly one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Yeah, it's going through tough times but honestly, the same problems there are happening in all the big cities across the country. It'll pass. I'd still rather be there than here. I'm going back in the next few years.

I'd love to see San Diego. My mom was born there as she was a Navy brat.

Tough times yes, but the natural beauty and the creative energy of the people endure. People see what they want to see though, and San Francisco is especially polarizing that way. Best wishes on your return home. San Diego is great, it's my hometown, but it's not San Francisco.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Tough times yes, but the natural beauty and the creative energy of the people endure. People see what they want to see though, and San Francisco is especially polarizing that way. Best wishes on your return home. San Diego is great, it's my hometown, but it's not San Francisco.
Thank you. I definitely agree. It was nice to read your words after having such a difficult day lately (well, it's been multiple days, to say the least). :)

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Thank you. I definitely agree. It was nice to read your words after having such a difficult day lately (well, it's been multiple days, to say the least). :)

I'm sorry you've had difficult days, may there be better days ahead for you.

Golden-Gate-Bridge-San-Francisco.jpg

anna.

but mostly it's the same
More like a swing at Trump which is expected with people like this.

The photo tells all.

I don't think so. The Daily Mail (rightwing slant) pulled that photo from the video, it's not the opening scene and Trump isn't mentioned in the about section. But there were many ads, at the beginning and more ads interrupted the video I think 3 times. That's monetization there. The 'influencer' is making money off people in poverty, and it's not a good look. But that's YouTube for you.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't think so. The Daily Mail (rightwing slant) pulled that photo from the video, it's not the opening scene and Trump isn't mentioned in the about section. But there were many ads, at the beginning and more ads interrupted the video I think 3 times. That's monetization there. The 'influencer' is making money off people in poverty, and it's not a good look. But that's YouTube for you.
No. His video has a family with a Trump 2024 flag.

His real agenda is elsewhere and it's not about homelessness.