• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best places to live in the USA?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, Ohio just really sucks. It's flat and boring with no natural beauty.
It all depends upon where you are in OH.
The natural beauty that existed beforehand was forest, which has mostly been destroyed to make way for endless ugly strip malls, parking lots, corporate parks, etc.
So it was when I lived in LA.
There's not much to do here besides go to bars, so everyone is an alcoholic, really.
I know many people in OH who do other things.
The weather is crap all the time and all over the place, even within the same day.
The weather is generally pretty good.
It doesn't suffer the extremes of CA,
MN, TX, FL, etc.
The city is more than unwalkable, it's positively anti-pedestrian (a lot of streets don't even have sidewalks or curbs), and everything is spread out. As for the people...well, I've never seen so much racism in my life before coming here - from both blacks and whites. Etc. I could go on. You can't make lemonade when you're not given lemons, but a pile of crap.
Columbus sucks IMO.
But I'm prejudiced against acorns buckeyes.
The only people who like it are people from here who never really left. Even a lot of people from here hate it and are trying to leave. Almost everyone I've met here that's from somewhere else regrets coming here.
Sometimes enjoyment finds us.
Other times we must seek it out
because the place won't do it for us

Heyo

Veteran Member
Oh, no! Quite the opposite! I was saying the coastal areas are the best places to live. Lol. Sorry for being less clear. East Coast, West Coast, the Gulf, etc. They're all so naturally beautiful and have great cultures, imo. Something about water, I guess.
You're giving me Heimweh. Time to visit my folks again. I plan to be there on summer solstice. I'll sit on the dunes and watch the sun go down over the North Sea and slightly visible where it must be behind the horizon until it rises again a few hours later.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It all depends upon where you are in OH.

So it was when I lived in LA.

I know many people in OH who do other things.

The weather is generally pretty good.
It doesn't suffer the extremes of CA,
MN, TX, FL, etc.

Columbus sucks IMO.
But I'm prejudiced against acorns buckeyes.

Sometimes enjoyment finds us.
Other times we must seek it out
because the place won't do it for us
We'll agree to disagree.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
You're giving me Heimweh. Time to visit my folks again. I plan to be there on summer solstice. I'll sit on the dunes and watch the sun go down over the North Sea and slightly visible where it must be behind the horizon until it rises again a few hours later.
Sounds lovely! Enjoy! :)

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
There are some pretty crappy places to live in the USA

But what are the nicest places to live?
I've lived in a Few States east of the Mississippi and Hawaii and I'm partial to New Jersey. Its middle portion is Between 2 Major Cities, New York and Philadelphia. Its northern section is in a mountain range. It has a beautiful coastline. Its southern section also includes the pine barrens. If you go top to bottom, It's a 5 to 6 hr. ride and east to west tops 1.5 hours by car. You can find rural areas, suburban areas and city areas in each section. Cape May is one of the most beautiful places in the US. The Delaware Water Gap recreation area is also a favorite of mine and though I don't really like Philly, I love visiting NYC a few times a year. Its biggest negatives are the cost of living and traffic.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Sounds lovely! Enjoy! :)
It is. It has many of the characteristics that have been named here. On the coast, (or really, off the coast), small town, but with lots of tourism, walkable streets, (well, you have to walk, or bike, cars are not allowed) and you can watch the sun drop into the sea, and rise from the sea.

RestlessSoul

Are there some pretty crappy places to live in the UK?

Most of it is a bit crap, tbh. ;)

That's the way we like it. If an area is too pretty, unpolluted and unspoilt, if everything works properly, and if isn't a bit rundowm, no Brit would feel at home there.

Shaul

Premium Member
Northern California (I'm contemplating resettling there). Oregon. Washington state. Hawaii.

I've visited and briefly stayed at the Lost Coast in northern California. I loved it and miss it. I camped and rode an enduro there on logging roads deep in the redwood forest and along the Pacific coast. Total paradise. And the people were mostly friendly. Maybe because I was an obvious tourist?
Then why are California, Oregon and Hawaii losing population?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Not American, but I've always sort of been attracted to Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine area. Trees, but not so far from 'civilization'. Some say Hawaii, but for me that would be a hard 'No!. Alaska would be a maybe.