• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beliefs in an afterlife - the problems?

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
* Suicides might be more common - because existence might be perceived as being far better in Heaven, or because some see it as fulfilling some duty (Suicide-bombers?), or the rewards are often made out to be more attractive (72 virgins?), etc.

Suicide is already up there as one of the leading causes of preventable death....

Key facts
  • Close to 800 000 people die due to suicide every year.
  • For every suicide there are many more people who attempt suicide every year. A prior suicide attempt is the single most important risk factor for suicide in the general population.
  • Suicide is the third leading cause of death in 15-19-year-olds.
  • 79% of global suicides occur in low- and middle-income countries.
  • Ingestion of pesticide, hanging and firearms are among the most common methods of suicide globally.
Suicide

* Living a life in preparation for some future life, rather than living as if this was the only existence and treasuring it as such.

Living life now is what we all have to do, but believing in a better life to come relieves a lot of stress if you have not achieved very much in this life. Say for example that you were born with some kind of health problem or deformity that made this life very difficult. Would not the promise of a better life to come alleviate some of the disappointments that a hindered life in this world would bring?

* Waiting for some kind of apocalypse or future event, as predicted by some religious doctrine (The Endtimes).

Its not the end...but a new beginning.....that is the focus. Who doesn't long for the end of something awful to be replaced by something wonderful?

* Believing in Hell, and perhaps the concept of evil, such that some will believe many will be destined for such - like atheists, for example.

More fool them. There is no hell in the Bible.....that idea is borrowed from paganism. Non-Christian religions are saturated with this hateful concept. What kind of a loving God would torture people forever as a punishment for a short lifetime of sin? Where is the justice in that?

* A belief in a 'chosen people', destined for some paradise, and perhaps the separation from others that such a view might bring.

If one has the right view, then sharing hope with those who have none, and are seeking it, might refresh them. Sometimes it is a healthy thing to separate from people who are toxic in their influence on you.

* A belief that we are reincarnated into something else after death, often based on what we have done whilst being alive, or blaming a past existence for what we might have now.

There is no reincarnation either in my beliefs. There is only life or death.....and by the decisions we make, we choose our own destiny. All responsibility for who and what we become as adults is ours to own. We can't blame anyone else.

It all depends on the way you look at things.....either the thornbush has roses....or the rosebush has thorns....:shrug:

You fail to show any connection of worldwide suicides to the topics presented.

Someone sitting there wishing for a better pie in the sky life/"afterlife" promised by many false religions is squandering their time.

It's really simple. If one wants a better life, they need to get off their butts and MAKE their life better. That's what I have done my entire life.

sciatica

Notable Member
As a Christian I trust the CEO of my life is taking care of business. Im not thinking about Heaven or Hell. It is my job to try to aim for Gospel standard love of neighbour even if it seems too hard.
Heaven starts now despite the suffering.
The rumour that Christians live too much for the future is either false or grossly conflated.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
It is not that hard to understand.

And I'm not taking the bait after seeing your attitude.

Are you serious?

You make a really, really, really, generic comment of:

"Well, I would say 'worse off'. The universe would seem a more pointless and depressing thing to me."

And refuse to explain it.

Or are you saying that because there's nothing much there, there is nothing to understand?

If you cannot fully explain what you mean, I have to ask just WHY are you here in a forum where all your comments are expected to be discussed and debated?

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
As a Christian I trust the CEO of my life is taking care of business. Im not thinking about Heaven or Hell. It is my job to try to aim for Gospel standard love of neighbour even if it seems too hard.
The rumour that Christians live too much for the future is either false or grossly conflated.

I've been on different Internet forums for over 15 years and have found that the vast majority of Christians lust for the sickly horrific "End Times" destruction of all life on earth.

sciatica

Notable Member
I've been on different Internet forums for over 15 years and have found that the vast majority of Christians lust for the sickly horrific "End Times" destruction of all life on earth.
oh those ones? online forum ones are often delusional..thats a small percentage i feel

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
you are lucky I didn't insult you

Deference.

You stated:

"oh those ones? online forum ones are often delusional..thats a small percentage i feel"

Without realizing that YOU are a Christian on an online forum. Come on, that's funny!

sciatica

Notable Member
Deference.

You stated:

"oh those ones? online forum ones are often delusional..thats a small percentage i feel"

Without realizing that YOU are a Christian on an online forum. Come on, that's funny!
no. just lazy posting from a phone. the end time zealots need an audience so you will see a lot of them on internet forums

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
no. just lazy posting from a phone. the end time zealots need an audience so you will see a lot of them on internet forums

Sorry, but I've encountered far, far, far, too many lusting for Armageddon Christians over the years to believe it's just a "small" percentage as you want to believe.

Then there's the reports of Christians forming large groups actually PRAYING for Armageddon in the last few years.

Personally I find that shockingly repulsive and depraved for anyone to wish and PRAY for all the creatures on the planet to be killed off, destroyed, just to boost their egos that they are "special" and "saved" while all others die a most horrible death. Yet they cannot see the evilness of it all. There is no way I would want to be part of that.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You fail to show any connection of worldwide suicides to the topics presented.

Someone sitting there wishing for a better pie in the sky life/"afterlife" promised by many false religions is squandering their time.

It's really simple. If one wants a better life, they need to get off their butts and MAKE their life better. That's what I have done my entire life.

Congratulations.
happy0065.gif

How compassionate of you to think that everyone must be like you.....that they are not suffering from severe clinical depression (which is a brain chemistry problem) and actually can't get off their butts to make their lives better without the right kind of help....and even then, not all can get a grip and become the conquering hero of their own lives, like you....what a legend.
indifferent0028.gif

Have you ever suffered with severe depression? PTSD? Mental illness? Or a crippling illness that makes every day a reason to want to end it all.....?

No allowance for those ones? OK....we understand you then.

Why are atheists such grumpy and miserable people? :rolleyes:

Ayjaydee

Congratulations.
happy0065.gif

How compassionate of you to think that everyone must be like you.....that they are not suffering from severe clinical depression (which is a brain chemistry problem) and actually can't get off their butts to make their lives better without the right kind of help....and even then, not all can get a grip and become the conquering hero of their own lives, like you....what a legend.
indifferent0028.gif

Have you ever suffered with severe depression? PTSD? Mental illness? Or a crippling illness that makes every day a reason to want to end it all.....?

Why are you generalizing?

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
Congratulations.
happy0065.gif

indifferent0028.gif

Avoidance.

This STILL avoids my point that you failed to make any connection with worldwide suicides to the topics presented.

Nor does your rage filled rant have anything to do with my comments about your RELIGIOUS statements.

I clearly stated:

"Someone sitting there wishing for a better pie in the sky life/"afterlife" promised by many false religions is squandering their time.

It's really simple. If one wants a better life, they need to get off their butts and MAKE their life better. That's what I have done my entire life."

Which has not anything to do with "clinical depression".

So just WHERE is the connection to worldwide suicides to the main topic of this forum thread?

And BTW - There was nothing even remotely "grumpy and miserable" about my post, perhaps you read your own grumpy and miserable post to me and got confused.

Galateasdream

If one does "good works" just because of anticipating some kind of "apocalypse or future "End Times"", that is no better than doing "good works" at gunpoint

I wasn't thinking in those terms.
I was thinking of self-de elopments ready for the next phase of existence, like doing well in school so as to be more successful as an adult, type of thing.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
When you think of it whether it's positive or negative the afterlife for us is geared just for the speculative living.

When you're dead , you're not going to be thinking of anything nor have any recollection of what happened before or be cognizant of what will happen in the future.

It'll be just like this life when the lights first came on and you take it from there as if it's the only life you'll ever have.

That means you ought to enjoy things right now and don't worry about all that stuff, unless it's some kind of hobby or something.

Ayjaydee

When you think of it whether it's positive or negative the afterlife for us is geared just for the speculative living.

When you're dead , you're not going to be thinking of anything nor have any recollection of what happened before or be cognizant of what will happen in the future.

It'll be just like this life when the lights first came on and you take it from there as if it's the only life you'll ever have.

That means you ought to enjoy things right now and don't worry about all that stuff, unless it's some kind of hobby or something.
Well I doubt I'll enjoy every minute of it but I do intend to live every minute of it

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Quite reasonable, but there appear to be far too many who have some of the views I mentioned - even being part of their religious doctrines.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Because we live in a world dominated by religious beliefs? And the consequences of this - conflict and rather stupid attitudes to sex, gender, equality, etc. How many more reasons do you want. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm not miserable and grumpy. :p :p :p