• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beliefs in an afterlife - the problems?

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
I wasn't thinking in those terms.
I was thinking of self-de elopments ready for the next phase of existence, like doing well in school so as to be more successful as an adult, type of thing.

OK. That is a spiritually sound approach.

However your comment was originally within the context of the horrific Christian "apocalypse", where the world is destroyed along with all living creatures. So that implies a great deal of pressure to "ready" oneself before it happens, and serious consequences if they don't (Being killed/destroyed with all those who don't appease the Christian "god".

Galateasdream

OK. That is a spiritually sound approach.

However your comment was originally within the context of the horrific Christian "apocalypse", where the world is destroyed along with all living creatures. So that implies a great deal of pressure to "ready" oneself before it happens, and serious consequences if they don't (Being killed/destroyed with all those who don't appease the Christian "god".

Was it? Thought it had moved on a bit. But I often see things others don't.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
Because we live in a world dominated by religious beliefs? And the consequences of this - conflict and rather stupid attitudes to sex, gender, equality, etc. How many more reasons do you want. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm not miserable and grumpy. :p :p :p

I got into a dispute with a Christian some time ago over her insistence that atheists are not persecuted by Christianity. So naturally I checked this out.

I found out:

In many Christian dominated states atheists are automatically denied child custody or even visitation rights during divorces.

In many Christian dominated states, towns, and/or cities atheists are not allowed to teach in schools.

In many Christian dominated states, towns, and/or cities atheists are not even allowed to vote.

So if some of them get upset, who can really blame them?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Probably quite a few more, but are these enough to consider such beliefs as problematic and not very helpful?

I see there are no problems knowing that this is but a matrix for our life to come, in fact it is beneficial as it allows one to understand we are here to choose virtues.

So all the problems noted in you OP are negated by a positive look on life in all that happens to us.

Regards Tony

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I see there are no problems knowing that this is but a matrix for our life to come, in fact it is beneficial as it allows one to understand we are here to choose virtues.

So all the problems noted in you OP are negated by a positive look on life in all that happens to us.

Regards Tony

I can see many of the benefits of having such views of course, rather obvious, but plenty can manage without them, such that, as we have discarded so many fallacious beliefs before, would we actually be better off without them?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can see many of the benefits of having such views of course, rather obvious, but plenty can manage without them, such that, as we have discarded so many fallacious beliefs before, would we actually be better off without them?

I would ask what do you see are the benefits of knowing God in this life? :)

Regards Tony

sciatica

Notable Member
we all need something to look forward to, dont we?
the deathbed scenario is too depressing otherwise.
I dont care if man made God. As long as He exists.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I would ask what do you see are the benefits of knowing God in this life? :)

Regards Tony

Well I was referring to beliefs in any afterlife. There are of course benefits to a belief in any God or such - there would hardly be so many believers if there wasn't I suspect. Not ever having such a belief, apart from the default as a child, I can't really answer other than the more obvious ones of having a suitable explanation for much of what happens to us in life and ready-made answers to any questions we might have from those who are the exponents of any such belief. Community has been shown to aid us as too, so this is an obvious advantage. But, we are still in the stages of many societies releasing their grip on religion so perhaps all these will be less so when, as it seems to be the case, many can survive just as well without such beliefs - and where the deficits are often not there too.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well I was referring to beliefs in any afterlife. There are of course benefits to a belief in any God or such - there would hardly be so many believers if there wasn't I suspect. Not ever having such a belief, apart from the default as a child, I can't really answer other than the more obvious ones of having a suitable explanation for much of what happens to us in life and ready-made answers to any questions we might have from those who are the exponents of any such belief. Community has been shown to aid us as too, so this is an obvious advantage. But, we are still in the stages of many societies releasing their grip on religion so perhaps all these will be less so when, as it seems to be the case, many can survive just as well without such beliefs - and where the deficits are often not there too.

I see a life of just survival feeding our own needs as a wasted life, as all it results in is death.

We have been gifted with the chance to devote all our energies into making a better world, in service to all others over preference to self. With that dying to self, true life is found, a life that transcends this material realm.

I wish you all the best in life. Regards Tony

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I see a life of just survival feeding our own needs as a wasted life, as all it results in is death.

We have been gifted with the chance to devote all our energies into making a better world, in service to all others over preference to self. With that dying to self, true life is found, a life that transcends this material realm.

I wish you all the best in life. Regards Tony

I still don't see why you believe all this is not possible without religions, and why you see a life without religions as being so barren. Perhaps if you experienced such you might change your mind?