• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australia must be really rich

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This came to my attention today:

Woman yells ‘you can’t arrest me’ as she’s arrested during cafe vaccine checks

I'm not going to comment on the insanity of the situation, but my first thought was - there are 4 or 5 police officers arresting this person! Like, Australia must have tons of money available to pay so much police to go arrest a woman because she didn't show a vaccine passport. One would think there are no real criminals there. If 5 police officers can afford to take the time (and car fuel) to take this woman into custody as if she was a serious threat to society, even though she doesn't react violently and doesn't seem to be carrying a weapon, that must mean the country has loads of resources, or they don't have any real crime to deal with, right? Lucky people...

I don't think it'd work in the US. The police aren't supposed to search you/request ID unless you are suspected of committing a crime.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Of course. They’re a public service. Currently the budget is about 2.8 billion. Which admittedly is a boost from previous years.
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/sites/default/files/2019-09/AR_18.19_07_Financial Summary.pdf

She broke QLD law. I agree that it was heavy handed. But as much as I decry police, they are still beholden to their responsibilities. If someone flouts the law, they are obligated to intervene and arrest that person. They were just doing their job at the end of the day.

Still jerks though

What was the law?
Does Australia have a vaccine mandate?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I'm not Australian, but where I live it's pretty common for police to arrive in groups of 4-5 when they have to make an arrest or two.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't think it'd work in the US. The police aren't supposed to search you/request ID unless you are suspected of committing a crime.
The ID demand is lawful of a driver
during a traffic stop (even if the stop
isn't lawful)....generally.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The ID demand is lawful of a driver
during a traffic stop (even if the stop
isn't lawful)....generally.

California does not have any laws that require individuals to show ID to police in any instance. Lacking any “Stop and Identify” or “Papers Please” laws, cops are unable to legally penalize you for politely refusing to furnish ID in most circumstances.

However, if you are pulled over or get arrested, you will need to provide the officer with an ID or face additional penalties. In addition, if you were pulled over for a DUI and failed to show ID, your refusal may be used against you in court.
Can I Refuse to Show My ID to the Police in California? | DUI FAQ

I suspect they would need cause to pull you over though.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
California does not have any laws that require individuals to show ID to police in any instance. Lacking any “Stop and Identify” or “Papers Please” laws, cops are unable to legally penalize you for politely refusing to furnish ID in most circumstances.

However, if you are pulled over or get arrested, you will need to provide the officer with an ID or face additional penalties. In addition, if you were pulled over for a DUI and failed to show ID, your refusal may be used against you in court.
Can I Refuse to Show My ID to the Police in California? | DUI FAQ

I suspect they would need cause to pull you over though.
Commercial vehicles don't need
cause for an inspection.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This came to my attention today:

Woman yells ‘you can’t arrest me’ as she’s arrested during cafe vaccine checks

I'm not going to comment on the insanity of the situation, but my first thought was - there are 4 or 5 police officers arresting this person! Like, Australia must have tons of money available to pay so much police to go arrest a woman because she didn't show a vaccine passport. One would think there are no real criminals there. If 5 police officers can afford to take the time (and car fuel) to take this woman into custody as if she was a serious threat to society, even though she doesn't react violently and doesn't seem to be carrying a weapon, that must mean the country has loads of resources, or they don't have any real crime to deal with, right? Lucky people...

I guess Australia is a police state after all if this type of thing is national and commonplace.

Some people, including posters here, says it's not that bad as the media portrays.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
What was the law?
Failure to comply with “lawful orders” would be my guess. Usually only invoked if you refuse a copper’s request several times or cause a very overly dramatic scene. Basically if you exasperate them enough.
Maybe failure to comply with state mandated health and safety guidelines. I’m sure she’ll just end up with a couple of fines and be on her way. Maybe she’ll sue them, I dunno.

I don’t think we technically have a mandate for vaccination. Businesses can of course choose their own policies regarding it. My work mandated the “no jab, no job” thing last year and gave this March as a deadline for staff compliance.
But bear in mind right now restaurants, cafes etc are required to check proof of vaccination, as far as I’m aware. And it’s a condition of entry to provide one when asked. Otherwise said establishments face fines for non compliance of health and safety guidelines.

And refusal could see you end up like this poor lady. Though I suspect there’s other factors involved. As you’d have to go out of your way to elicit this sort of response. Either that or she happened to catch some coppers after a long day who had no patience

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess Australia is a police state after all if this type of thing is national and commonplace.

Some people, including posters here, says it's not that bad as the media portrays.
Americans have been claiming my country is a police state for longer than I’ve been alive. I’ve yet to encounter this police state despite living here, well my entire life.
I have seen people face consequences for their actions. Is that what was meant by police state?

Twilight Hue

Americans have been claiming my country is a police state for longer than I’ve been alive. I’ve yet to encounter this police state despite living here, well my entire life.
I have seen people face consequences for their actions. Is that what was meant by police state?
Well those few instances do seem heavy handed imo.

Twilight Hue

It will if you keep supporting them and continue to vote for people who support them.
No.

No matter who you vote for, any political party or entity, it won't make any difference. It's going to be a very dark and dystopian future ahead world wide.

That's my prediction.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
No.

No matter who you vote for, any political party or entity, it won't make any difference. It's going to be a very dark and dystopian future ahead world wide.

That's my prediction.
And here I was fearing I'd have to change my politics or behavior. How very convenient!

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
What was the law?
There's no actual vax pass laws pretty much anywhere where they're implemented, as far as I know. It's just governments (using "emergency powers") issuing directives (mandates) on various entities and them threatening to fine them or shut them down if they don't follow suit. That's as simply as I can put it. These aren't law. No legislature has approved these things. How they are getting people and businesses to go along with something that seems obviously unconstitutional, at least in the US, (nevermind immoral) bewilders and depresses me.