• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australia must be really rich

Vee

Premium Member
This came to my attention today:

Woman yells ‘you can’t arrest me’ as she’s arrested during cafe vaccine checks

I'm not going to comment on the insanity of the situation, but my first thought was - there are 4 or 5 police officers arresting this person! Like, Australia must have tons of money available to pay so much police to go arrest a woman because she didn't show a vaccine passport. One would think there are no real criminals there. If 5 police officers can afford to take the time (and car fuel) to take this woman into custody as if she was a serious threat to society, even though she doesn't react violently and doesn't seem to be carrying a weapon, that must mean the country has loads of resources, or they don't have any real crime to deal with, right? Lucky people...

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I'm not going to comment on the insanity of the situation, but my first thought was - there are 4 or 5 police officers arresting this person! Like, Australia must have tons of money available to pay so much police to go arrest a woman because she didn't show a vaccine passport. One would think there are no real criminals there. If 5 police officers can afford to take the time (and car fuel) to take this woman into custody as if she was a serious threat to society, even though she doesn't react violently and doesn't seem to be carrying a weapon, that must mean the country has loads of resources, or they don't have any real crime to deal with, right? Lucky people...
I loved where she said "Where were you the four times we were broken into". I guess it is easier to catch ladies drinking coffee than those who are doing crime.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Like vultures converging on a carcass,
cops tend to flock when there's drama.
It can give the impression that their
numbers are greater than they really are.

I once had a building with a psychotherapist
who worked in the field of marriage. If a couple
had an argument in a parking lot, you'd think that
it was a war zone with the plethora of cop cars
descending upon them. And of course, no other
clients were allowed to enter or leave until all
the drama was over, & the last few cops tired of
standing around chitchatting, & left.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

The coppers are often just overzealous jerks, really.
Was it warranted? Likely not.
But in saying that, at least no one died. Which is sadly not something I can say for all incidents involving the police.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

They are Queensland state police, not paid by the country.

And all she had to do was show her vaccination details, it's really easy and takes about 20 seconds.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Streuth! Hide those tinnies in the dunny!
(I learned this lingo from Crocodile Dundee)

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Sure, there are a few bad cops, and we should do something about that.

But overall, cops are routinely putting their lives on the line for the rest of us, and doing a pretty good job of it. I think anyone who does generalized cop-bashing ought to be ashamed.

Vee

Premium Member

But overall, cops are routinely putting their lives on the line for the rest of us, and doing a pretty good job of it. I think anyone who does generalized cop-bashing ought to be ashamed.

No bashing here. I have a lot of respect for cops. I'm just wondering about the allocation of resources.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
How's the police in Queensland funded? Do tax payers fork the bill?

Queensland tax payers do.

Not the point.
She broke the law, how can it not be the point? The unvaccinated are about 5% of the population yet make up well over 50% of those in hospital with covid, there's your waste of Australian tax dollars. Not too mention those with emergency conditions who are waiting because they can't get an ambulance or a bed in hospital.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I recently posted a ranking of the most dangerous
jobs in Ameristan. Cops ranked 25th out of 25.
There are far more than "a few" bad cops if we
include all who issue illegal commands, or fail to
intervene when other cops commit wrongful acts.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
How's the police in Queensland funded? Do tax payers fork the bill?

Of course. They’re a public service. Currently the budget is about 2.8 billion. Which admittedly is a boost from previous years.
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/sites/default/files/2019-09/AR_18.19_07_Financial Summary.pdf

Not the point.
She broke QLD law. I agree that it was heavy handed. But as much as I decry police, they are still beholden to their responsibilities. If someone flouts the law, they are obligated to intervene and arrest that person. They were just doing their job at the end of the day.

Still jerks though

74x12

Yes they always seem to have enough money to suppress "dissenters" (normal people).

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I recently posted a ranking of the most dangerous
jobs in Ameristan. Cops ranked 25th out of 25.
There are far more than "a few" bad cops if we
include all who issue illegal commands, or fail to
intervene when other cops commit wrongful acts.

So out of thousands of occupations, being 25th most dangerous isn't still very dangerous?

Second, there are about 700,000 cops in the U.S. when you say that there are "far more than a few", are you talking absolute numbers or percentages?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Of course. They’re a public service. Currently the budget is about 2.8 billion. Which admittedly is a boost from previous years.
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/sites/default/files/2019-09/AR_18.19_07_Financial Summary.pdf

She broke QLD law. I agree that it was heavy handed. But as much as I decry police, they are still beholden to their responsibilities. If someone flouts the law, they are obligated to intervene and arrest that person. They were just doing their job at the end of the day.

Still jerks though

I thought they were incredibly patient, far more so than I would have been. And the video conveniently doesn't show what happened before it progressed to this level.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
No bashing here. I have a lot of respect for cops. I'm just wondering about the allocation of resources.

We don't know enough because we don't know what else was going on that needed the police to intervene.

What is clear is that the woman wanted notoriety or was exhibiting utter self-centered "the rules don't apply to me" behavior which did warrant a response.

Also, cops are often targets so more than one showing up was called for.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So out of thousands of occupations, being 25th most dangerous isn't still very dangerous?
It's not as dangerous as cops seem to think, given their
propensity to shoot civilians with very little basis for an
actual threat posed.
Second, there are about 700,000 cops in the U.S. when you say that there are "far more than a few", are you talking absolute numbers or percentages?
The surveys I've cited deal with percentages,
or more specifically, incidents per 100,000.

Cops & the media so often portray cops as heroes
who do a very dangerous job. They never give that
same credit to far more dangerous professions, eg,
roofing, fishing, farming, logging, construction.
Ref...
Top 25 Most Dangerous Jobs in the U.S.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I thought they were incredibly patient, far more so than I would have been. And the video conveniently doesn't show what happened before it progressed to this level.
Yeah as someone who’s worked with the public for years, I think it’s likely she antagonised them until they just had enough. I’ve seen it happen all too often, sadly. The ending is what gets put on the news, but if you see the interaction from the beginning it usually paints a very different picture.