• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attorney General sessions

Riders

The President is jumping down Attorney general's throat maybe wanting to fire him.A bunch of Republicans are behind the Attorney General he keeps calling him out fighting with him.

What the hell is wrong with Trump?He looks miserable.He got rid of Spicer another guy Corralo left now the Attorney General.

What happened to all the Republicans who said there would be no problems in the white house;

They said we liberals were eating sour grapes when we protested and they were vigorously happy?I just heard Trump scowling about the Attorney General he's paranoid.

He's posses off all the time paranoid firing everyone people are waiting from the house.This administration is a disaster.

Trump can't even get his health care bill passed. Everyone's against him.

What has he accomplished?we're in a disaster his presidency is a failing disaster.

I tried to give him a chance the man is being investigated and the white house is falling apart. Geez.America is falling apart.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The President is jumping down Attorney general's throat maybe wanting to fire him.A bunch of Republicans are behind the Attorney General he keeps calling him out fighting with him.

What the hell is wrong with Trump?He looks miserable.He got rid of Spicer another guy Corralo left now the Attorney General.

What happened to all the Republicans who said there would be no problems in the white house;

They said we liberals were eating sour grapes when we protested and they were vigorously happy?I just heard Trump scowling about the Attorney General he's paranoid.

He's posses off all the time paranoid firing everyone people are waiting from the house.This administration is a disaster.

What has he accomplished?we're in a disaster his presidency is a failing disaster.

I tried to give him a chance the man is being investigated and the white house is falling apart. Geez.America is falling apart.

I'm beginning to think the Republican leadership is not on board with Trump.

The Republicans have full control if they wanted it. Nothing to really stop them.

Is it really random opposition or is it covert resistance from the Republican leadership?

"Hey Mr. President, we're really, really trying to press forward your agenda." wink, wink.

Why should the leadership care whether Trumps fails or not. They'll likely keep their jobs, as long as they don't appear to be in direct opposition.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Congratulations. Like Brexit, this is the kind of thing you get when "populism," rather than reasonable thought about issues, wins the day. I'd be embarrassed to be American today, just as I was embarrassed to be a Torontonian when we had a boozing, crack-smoking, homophobic and generally ignorant mayor, Rob Ford. We survived. You likely will, too, although you've got to go through some tough times first.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

The Republicans have full control if they wanted it. Nothing to really stop them.

Is it really random opposition or is it covert resistance from the Republican leadership?

"Hey Mr. President, we're really, really trying to press forward your agenda." wink, wink.

Why should the leadership care whether Trumps fails or not. They'll likely keep their jobs, as long as they don't appear to be in direct opposition.
I'm not sure I agree with you. Populism, which is how Trump got elected, has a way of evaporating on its own. When many voters (not Trump's core, of course) start thinking about what they did, and what the obvious result is, quite a few of those Republican jobs might very well be in jeopardy.

Riders

I just saw on the news that Trump is considering replacing the Attorney General with a Texas Senator.

Ding ding ding there he goes again trying to run out one if his own people. He's playing musical chairs with the house.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I'm not sure I agree with you. Populism, which is how Trump got elected, has a way of evaporating on its own. When many voters (not Trump's core, of course) start thinking about what they did, and what the obvious result is, quite a few of those Republican jobs might very well be in jeopardy.

Sure, some newly held seats. Folks with real power, their asses seem super glued to their seats.

I'm talking the leadership. Folks like Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Trump is not used to any form of checks & balances. He doesn't know how he should react so he's reacting the only way he knows how: childishly.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
He's in a panic because of what he's been hiding. Sessions was one that was on board from day 1 and is "to the right of Attila the Hun" as they say. But he cannot stand that Sessions is at least somewhat honorable and recused himself. The #1 demand is for total loyalty and in that he resembles all dictators and kings thoughout history.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Sure, some newly held seats. Folks with real power, their asses seem super glued to their seats.

I'm talking the leadership. Folks like Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan.
I won't ask how old you are, but I'll tell you about me -- I'll be 70 next April 1 (though hopefully not a total Fool). And in all those years, one thing I can say with some certainty garnered from experience is this: Even "leaders" eventually wind up not being leaders. And more to the point, more often than not, not by their own choice. I'm not predicting anything, I'm just saying, that's how, historically, it mostly is.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I seem to be quoting Lincoln today. This sums it up for me:

abrahamlincoln1.jpg

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I won't ask how old you are, but I'll tell you about me -- I'll be 70 next April 1 (though hopefully not a total Fool). And in all those years, one thing I can say with some certainty garnered from experience is this: Even "leaders" eventually wind up not being leaders. And more to the point, more often than not, not by their own choice. I'm not predicting anything, I'm just saying, that's how, historically, it mostly is.

Yes, in the state government they get moved around. They move from position to position. If they can't get elected they usually get appointed.

Who gets to be the face changes. I kind of assume the folks that hold the real power are smart enough to never be the face. Folks like the Koch brothers and George Soros.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I seem to be quoting Lincoln today. This sums it up for me:

abrahamlincoln1.jpg

Truth, I don't know how I would act given power. I kind of assume, no matter how well intentioned, I end up corrupt.

It's just too easy to start justifying to yourself taking a little here a little there. No one's really getting hurt. Then, I can't fix the problem, fight the system on my own so may as well make the best of it for me, my family and friends.

Power is it's own kind of vice. You get power, you want more of it. To get it you have to play ball with the super powerful.

When I was younger, I held some idealism I'd be different. Now, I don't know. I'm not judging folks. I just maybe have realized how fragile these idealistic identities are.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Just one little question: is "loyalty" a one-way deal or reciprocal? Trump seems to be demanding it from everybody -- but offering it only to his own family.

This is, for those with some knowledge of history (and perhaps Shakespeare), something of a monarchical position -- everybody owes the King, the King owes nobody.

Let us hope that when some Antony (possibly Jared Kushner) comes to offer the dictator a "crown," that it is no more than (as Casca says in Julius Caesar) "one of those coronets." God help you all if it has any imperial insignia on it.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
This administration is a crap show, but we all knew what Trump was like before he got elected, so I don't blame Trump for being Trump as much as I blame the people dumb enough to vote for him.

Grumpuss

Jeff Sessions is an officer with the invading reptilian alien horde. He has donned a pseudo-human mask to fool us, even as he and his brethren hide among us, control our movements and slowly consume us all, as livestock. In the night, they come for us, their sickening leadership corps like Jeff Sessions, Mitch McConnell, Nancy Pelosi and Channing Tatum directing our fate from high above. White flashlights expose the monsters for their true selves, the kinesthetic blood showing through the facsimile skin of their mutant hides. Trust no one. If a policeman pulls you over, demand to see his belly button and Earth badge. Eat no food, unless it has no seeds, brown coloration or sugar in it- because that is how they track you!

Thursday, 291 days. 12° 35' 23.0928'' S / 81° 55' 10.4016'' E. The password is "Belichick Sandwich", and the other password is "Chartreuse Lingerie".

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Trump is not coherent enough to be supported in any consistent manner.

Even by the GOP, whose standards for consistence are rather, shall we say, forgiving.

Nous

Premium Member
At the moment I think there is a significant possibility that Sessions will soon be out of office and Trump will make a recess appointment.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
At the moment I think there is a significant possibility that Sessions will soon be out of office and Trump will make a recess appointment.

I read this on that this morning. I can't comment on its validity, and don't know much about its author other than that he is definitely not a fan of Trump's. Maybe you can comment. You write like an attorney:

The Democrats, despite not having a majority in the House or Senate, have nonetheless managed to hold Donald Trump at bay in a number of key areas. Now, in a move that could be seen as deeply ironic yet necessary, Democrats in the Senate have hatched a plan that would keep former Republican Senator Jeff Sessions in his current role as Attorney General against Trump’s wishes. Well, Trump can still fire Sessions if he wants. But now he can’t replace him.

Trump made the mistake of allowing it to leak that he’s considering firing Sessions and his deputy Rod Rosenstein during the upcoming Senate recess, and then replacing Sessions with a new Attorney General during the recess. This would have allowed the new AG to take office without needing Senate confirmation. But now that the Senate Democrats are aware of Trump’s upcoming plan, they’ve devised a way to stop it – and that plan won’t need the cooperation of any Senate Republicans.

In short, the Democrats will take a series of procedural steps to ensure that the Senate is technically still in session for the entire time it’s emptied out for recess, according to The Hill (link). These steps won’t require majority support, and there doesn’t appear to be anything that Republican Senate Leader Mitch McConnell can do to circumvent it. In fact, McConnell unwittingly helped make it easier for the Democrats to pull this off when he established legal precedent by keeping the Senate technically in session a few years back to block an appointment by President Obama (source: Reuter). Still, the greater irony is that the Democrats now find themselves fighting on the side of Jeff Sessions in order to stop Trump.

Donald Trump is hoping to fire Sessions and Rosenstein so he can appoint a new Attorney General who will then fire Special Counsel Robert Mueller. But with the Democrats now taking advantage of Trump’s big mouth and keeping the Senate in session during recess, Trump can’t appoint a new AG without going through full Senate confirmation hearings.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Republican leadership not on board with Trump?

Well that's obvious. Obvious before the election. The RNC did everything in their power to sabotage any chance for Trump to win the primaries. Even cancelling voting in states.

The GOP establishment and it's behind the scenes leaders don't give a crap about their base. The game is to fool people into voting for them (and of course buying their patriotic products)

Fear is used constantly. Rush is an establishment elitist. He's the headpin controlling and directing the conservative 'message' for the GOP elites.

Rush doesn't do anything in public for his supporters because he's "too famous." And people still believe he's 99.8% right all of the time.