• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Given that there are several questions directed at atheists, I thought it would be a good time for one extra. My question is "Which hell is the one for you?"

Obviously you cannot truly decide what would really work, given that you don't seek God's blessing on your choices; but what if you could? This is hypothetical. What sort of monotony do you think could bring you to reconsider your ways? Assuming that Hell is a real place and that you are going there, what sort of hell would make you remorseful enough to eventually repent?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
moment-image-832cbcb9-2687-4416-8b67-253d7157262b.jpg

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Given that there are several questions directed at atheists, I thought it would be a good time for one extra. My question is "Which hell is the one for you?"

Obviously you cannot truly decide what would really work, given that you don't seek God's blessing on your choices; but what if you could? This is hypothetical. What sort of monotony do you think could bring you to reconsider your ways? Assuming that Hell is a real place and that you are going there, what sort of hell would make you remorseful enough to eventually repent?

The scariest hell I can imagine is the one where we all live forever.

Viker

Häxan
I'm not an atheist, as they don't really exist, but I wouldn't mind if Hell had a resort, spa and a masseuse in every room.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
That is vague. Under what specific circumstances would living forever suck? Are you talking about living forever in a tiny rental having to drive 1.5 hours to work every day for a cold calling job? Some people actually like doing cold calls. Be more specific.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not an atheist, as they don't really exist, but I wouldn't mind if Hell had a resort, spa and a masseuse in every room.
That is totally the opposite of the question, and also I point out that maybe nobody exists. Have you never heard the Row Row Row Your Boat song? Most people have.

Row Row Row Your Boat
Gently Down the Stream
Merrily Merrily Merrily Merrily
Life is but a Dream
sing to the coda & repeat ad infinitum while riding in a school bus driving a very long way to a very boring place and back

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
That is vague. Under what specific circumstances would living forever suck? Are you talking about living forever in a tiny rental having to drive 1.5 hours to work every day for a cold calling job? Some people actually like doing cold calls. Be more specific.

Pretty much any circumstances that involve living longer than a few billion years would be pure torture.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What is scary about living forever? The next life could be better than you can imagine.
That's how you feel now but since you know nothing about the afterlife you can't say you will always feel that way.
And since there is no time in the spiritual world we won't be thinking "gee, when is this ever going to end?" like we do in this life.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
What is scary about living forever? The next life could be better than you can imagine.
That's how you feel now but since you know nothing about the afterlife you can't say you will always feel that way.
And since there is no time in the spiritual world we won't be thinking "gee, when is this ever going to end?" like we do in this life.

Anything involving *forever* would be pure torture eventually. maybe after 10,,000 years. maybe after a million years. or maybe after a billion years. But a billion years is only an instant in *forever*. So, for that matter, is a googleplex years.

I rarely think about when this is going to end. I prefer to spend my time living. That isn't the torturous aspect of forever: it is that there is no possibility of escape. That eventually things will repeat, then repeat again, then repeat millions of times, then repeat trillions of times.

It would be like the water torture of having single drops on the forehead...drip, drip, drip...eventually the only option is insanity. But even that would not be a release.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I think you're guessing. I think you don't know what living billions of years is like.

But I *do* know what living 50 years is like. Even if the afterlife is immeasurably better than this one, forever is a LONG time. It would eventually be torture.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Anything involving *forever* would be pure torture eventually.
Only if you were thinking in terms if forever. Can't you imagine not thinking that way?
I rarely think about when this is going to end. I prefer to spend my time living. That isn't the torturous aspect of forever: it is that there is no possibility of escape. That eventually things will repeat, then repeat again, then repeat millions of times, then repeat trillions of times.

It would be like the water torture of having single drops on the forehead...drip, drip, drip...eventually the only option is insanity. But even that would not be a release.
Why do you think that the next world will be like that, a repeat f the same things over and over and over again?
That would be torture but that is not what it will be like. Humans have suffered enough in this life so God will not subject us to any more torture in the afterlife.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Think of how many aches and pains you'll have when you're one billion years old.