• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I haven't read Voltaire. Hey you're trying to get me to read aren't you? That is a dirty trick.
I try to get everybody to read. That's my dirty proselytizing secret. I buy books for my best friend who, having 2 kids under 8 and a family from far-flung places like Peru, Greece and Ireland, never gets around to reading them. I keep buying them anyway. Hey, maybe the kids will grow up and the in-laws start leaving him alone....

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not an atheist, as they don't really exist, but I wouldn't mind if Hell had a resort, spa and a masseuse in every room.

One little sentence, so much question-bubbling...

So the obvious one first; In what sense do atheists not exist? I'm working on a submission to the tax office, and this would be uber-handy information to have.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Think of how many aches and pains you'll have when you're one billion years old.

When I was young, I could get up above the ring (life is about basketball, please remember).
These days I can just barely jump over the three point line, painted on the court.

If I'm gonna live for another billion years, I better work on my jumpshot, cos there is simply no way I'm taking ANYONE off the dribble.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Its a joke, however if I have to explain it then its not a very good one. :p Humor is a challenge, though in a humorless land even a tiny joke shines like a candle.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
In the land of the Lakers fans, the one eyed Celtics supporter is a rare and shimmering diamond.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I can never even get my head around some of the questions that pop up on RF. Sometimes it feels like somebody has asked, "How heavy is Thursday."

Holy crap. That is a great question. Mind...blown...

I can't speak in absolute terms, but it certainly feels lighter than Monday morning, but less airy than Friday night drinks after work.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You don't think it would be...hilarious, at least for the first 100 million years?

At some point I'd turn evil. Then I'd get bored of that, and try to convince everyone I was God.
Or maybe they're the same thing. Gets tricky when there is no rulebook.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
At some point I'd turn evil. Then I'd get bored of that, and try to convince everyone I was God.
Or maybe they're the same thing. Gets tricky when there is no rulebook.
Life was simpler when all the atheists didn't know what infinity was.

Viker

Häxan
So the obvious one first; In what sense do atheists not exist
Ever notice they're only ever on the internet. I.E. ( means Internet Explorer, not sure why that's in the front of some sentences ), they are robots. Internet robots manufactured by the Church.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
But I *do* know what living 50 years is like. Even if the afterlife is immeasurably better than this one, forever is a LONG time. It would eventually be torture.
I have seen Heaven handled by several different science fiction authors from different eras and there is a strong similarity in what they depicted. Heaven with people sitting around doing nothing. I know what the Bible says, I know what other Christians say, but I have no idea what it will really be like.

Eternity does sound pretty boring, even scary, when you put it all that way.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not an atheist, as they don't really exist, but I wouldn't mind if Hell had a resort, spa and a masseuse in every room.
I am curious about this too. What do you mean that atheists don't really exist?

I accept that there are people that see no evidence for a god or gods and thus no reason to believe in one. There are also those that claim that no god or gods exist as if it were an obvious and known fact. The former view and people are not expressing a religious view. They are using evidence, logic and reason to come to their conclusion. The latter view and the people that subscribe to it have taken atheism to a religious level. But both exist and some of them post on this forum.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Ever notice they're only ever on the internet. I.E. ( means Internet Explorer, not sure why that's in the front of some sentences ), they are robots. Internet robots manufactured by the Church.

I read your post, stepped away from the computer, and made myself a coffee, and then returned.
I didn't notice blinking out of existence whilst away from the internet, but perhaps I need someone watching to see if I suddenly vanish from this plane of existence, or something.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I read your post, stepped away from the computer, and made myself a coffee, and then returned.
I didn't notice blinking out of existence whilst away from the internet, but perhaps I need someone watching to see if I suddenly vanish from this plane of existence, or something.
I have never seen you. But I haven't been looking for you either. If I don't see you, does that mean you are too far away to see or that I was looking when you had vanished from existence. Do you have a flare gun?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I have never seen you. But I haven't been looking for you either.

You realise you sound like a caricature atheist talking about God there, right...lol

If I don't see you, does that mean you are too far away to see or that I was looking when you had vanished from existence. Do you have a flare gun?

Well, I'm Australian, so I do sometimes wonder if I live on the same planet as some folks from certain other countries...
No flare gun. Might have an old pair of flares from a 70s party, so I'll throw them on later, and see if you can spot me.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
You realise you sound like a caricature atheist talking about God there, right...lol
Actually, I had not, but you got me laughing at that interpretation.

Well, I'm Australian, so I do sometimes wonder if I live on the same planet as some folks from certain other countries...
No flare gun. Might have an old pair of flares from a 70s party, so I'll throw them on later, and see if you can spot me.
I have never seen Australia either (my bad luck, perhaps Australia's good luck).

That wasn't the flares I had in mind, but that might actually stand out better.