• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Think of how many aches and pains you'll have when you're one billion years old.
None, because we won't have a physical body.

1 Corinthians 15:40 There are also bodies in the heavens and bodies on the earth. The glory of the heavenly bodies is different from the glory of the earthly bodies.

“The answer to the third question is this, that in the other world the human reality doth not assume a physical form, rather doth it take on a heavenly form, made up of elements of that heavenly realm.” Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 194

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Given that there are several questions directed at atheists, I thought it would be a good time for one extra. My question is "Which hell is the one for you?"

Obviously you cannot truly decide what would really work, given that you don't seek God's blessing on your choices; but what if you could? This is hypothetical. What sort of monotony do you think could bring you to reconsider your ways? Assuming that Hell is a real place and that you are going there, what sort of hell would make you remorseful enough to eventually repent?

Laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Given that there are several questions directed at atheists, I thought it would be a good time for one extra. My question is "Which hell is the one for you?"

Obviously you cannot truly decide what would really work, given that you don't seek God's blessing on your choices; but what if you could? This is hypothetical. What sort of monotony do you think could bring you to reconsider your ways? Assuming that Hell is a real place and that you are going there, what sort of hell would make you remorseful enough to eventually repent?
The one we live in right now.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Heaven would really be hell if it was like this physical world. ;)

Heaven:
So no more bathrooms, no need for toilets. All the food absorbs 100% without waste. What about starships with warp speed, portals to anywhere in infinity? Planetary systems so wonderful, and the physics of your dreams.
Glorious bodies that never age, never die and feelings without the need for pain. Of course there should be deep magic, and an endless Platonic realm where you can exist as pure thought, and bask in endless knowledge. Perhaps a realm where you can create anything you so desire. Heaven would have to be endless endlessnesses, and without limitation. Everything but the physics we live in!

Hell:

Achieving immortality in this universe. Limits. No love! No morals whatsoever. Always having to be mindful of wicked evil abusive warring people. No justice! No rules, and no laws of existence. Utter chaos. Pain and torment. No relationships. And no dignity. Totally judgmental people who can't control themselves. Every hateful prejudicial thing.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
None, because we won't have a physical body.

1 Corinthians 15:40 There are also bodies in the heavens and bodies on the earth. The glory of the heavenly bodies is different from the glory of the earthly bodies.

“The answer to the third question is this, that in the other world the human reality doth not assume a physical form, rather doth it take on a heavenly form, made up of elements of that heavenly realm.” Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 194
Joke thread. Please take the preaching elsewhere. Anyways there will be aches and pains, because you'll be a billion years old.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
But I *do* know what living 50 years is like. Even if the afterlife is immeasurably better than this one, forever is a LONG time. It would eventually be torture.
You don't think it would be...hilarious, at least for the first 100 million years?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You don't think it would be...hilarious, at least for the first 100 million years?

It might be like how it is when you're a kid, waiting to hit age 16 so you could get your driver's license. When you reach 1 billion years old, you get to drive your own galaxy. At 10 billion, you get to drive your own universe.

So, at least you have something to look forward to. ;)

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
This episode always stuck with me:

On a serious note:

In reality I grasp the concept, but if I have a chance to extend my life I'm going to take that chance. I will never tire of eating, nor of drinking, nor of seeing, nor of knowing.

I understand the moral reasons why people shouldn't hope to live forever. Scarcity, obviously, does not allow for this; and of course there would be less room for new developments. There could be stagnation as a result if people stopped changing or improving, but I absolutely don't accept as a pat answer "It would be boring." I don't buy it. Its simply a martyrous willingness to die speech. "I'll die so the world can go one..." Nah. :rolleyes:

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, I did not notice that this was a joke thread.
"there will be aches and pains, because you'll be a billion years old" sounds like an assertion, not a joke. :confused:
Its a joke, however if I have to explain it then its not a very good one. :p Humor is a challenge, though in a humorless land even a tiny joke shines like a candle.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not an atheist, as they don't really exist, but I wouldn't mind if Hell had a resort, spa and a masseuse in every room.
Ok, you shall have 100 billion years with massages, resort food, a spa and skin that won't rub off.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

I can never even get my head around some of the questions that pop up on RF. Sometimes it feels like somebody has asked, "How heavy is Thursday."

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You came to Religious Forums. We didn't chase you down!
Did I complain? I just said I can't get my head around some questions.

The same is often true for those on the other side. After all, didn't Dr. Pangloss (in Voltaire's Candide) declare that this is "the best of all possible worlds?" And only because he couldn't get his head around the question "why does God allow evil?"

Daemon Sophic

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Did I complain? I just said I can't get my head around some questions.

The same is often true for those on the other side. After all, didn't Dr. Pangloss (in Voltaire's Candide) declare that this is "the best of all possible worlds?" And only because he couldn't get his head around the question "why does God allow evil?"
I haven't read Voltaire. Hey you're trying to get me to read aren't you? That is a dirty trick.