• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists Chose to be atheists?

Did atheists choose to be atheists?

I never really believed when I was a kid, years before I even knew what an atheist was. I don't think I chose this consciously, as I was more interested with playing with Duplo, sticklebricks and fuzzy felt than contemplating the universe.

In a way though people can choose to be an atheist. If you are a believer you can choose to make certain decisions regarding questioning your assumptions, looking at alternatives, etc. which may contribute to your 'conversion'.

The same is true with any emotionally held beliefs, you usually have to choose to question it before that becomes a possibility. So conscious agency can play a role, although the degree to which you consider this to contribute to your final stance is open to debate.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

I probably chose to be irreligious, based on my assessment of the likely probabilities of their claims being true, and the numbers of such beliefs and their variety. The question as to there being some God or creative force I leave a little open - but mostly being an atheist - since I don't see any evidence to support such, but I do understand my limited knowledge and ability to process such. So it's more a default position than being a choice. Nothing I see in religions helps me over this issue.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If you don't mind @Invisibilis I think this might deserve a thread.

I chose to be an atheist because... Do you believe atheist had a choice or something happened which caused them to become an atheist. Whatever the cause, they could not have chosen otherwise. Meaning it would have been impossible for an atheist to have made the choice to be a believer.

Or could an atheist sit aside all of their skepticism and choose to believe in God.

My first question would be which God. Atheism is really one "choice" among many possible choices. Lots of Gods one could choose to believe in. So with of all of the Gods available to believe in, could you choose a different God?

As everyone else in this world i was born with no belief or even concept of gods.

Parents, school, friends lit the spark and like most other people i was converted from ignorance to belief in god and the local predominant religion, in my case the Abrahamic god and the CoE.

By age 13 i was questioning the teachings, by 14 left the church. Over those months and a few more i read several bibles looking for answers and came to the conclusion whole idea of gods was the glue for narrow minded and selfish cliques. This of course was my own view based on experience.

An experience that drove me to my choice.

First i was guided (or indoctrinated) to religion

Because of that religion i chose to become atheist.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
As everyone else in this world i was born with no belief or even concept of gods.

Parents, school, friends lit the spark and like most other people i was converted from ignorance to belief in god and the local predominant religion, in my case the Abrahamic god and the CoE.

By age 13 i was questioning the teachings, by 14 left the church. Over those months and a few more i read several bibles looking for answers and came to the conclusion whole idea of gods was the glue for narrow minded and selfish cliques. This of course was my own view based on experience.

An experience that drove me to my choice.

First i was guided (or indoctrinated) to religion

Because of that religion i chose to become atheist.

For complicated family reasons my eldest sister decided the family should be baptised together in the Mormon church.

I was eight years old, she was ninteen. Her , another sister and myself constituted the family.
My mother, probably more agnostic than atheist, didn’t want to refuse her daughter, but gave my other sister and I free choice.

I said yes because it mattered to my sister, and I was curious about what went on.

So, I found myself dressed in white, being led to the baptismal pool in a very impressive church.

I didn’t have any god trip going on, so the experience was not religious.
I simply allowed it all to happen.
The environment was certainly intense in a way I hadn’t experienced before, but more like a movie I was immersed in.

Full body immersion in the hands of strangers muttering prayers was surreal and also very engaging.
In effect it was my introduction to ritual magic.

Having never officially recanted, I am still officially a Mormon in their eyes.
Who knows, that may come in handy. Like a fake passport, LOL

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I chose to be an atheist because... Do you believe atheist had a choice or something happened which caused them to become an atheist. Whatever the cause, they could not have chosen otherwise. Meaning it would have been impossible for an atheist to have made the choice to be a believer.
I mentioned my early adventures in religion in a previous thread.

My mature position accompanies the realization that I don't know what a real god is ─ a definition of 'god' such that we could tell whether any real suspect were god or not ─ and if anyone else knows, they're not telling.

So not knowing what a real god is, I'm deprived of the title 'atheist'. But I think I'm at least an unbeliever.

Last edited:

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

Or could an atheist sit aside all of their skepticism and choose to believe in God.

My first question would be which God. Atheism is really one "choice" among many possible choices. Lots of Gods one could choose to believe in. So with of all of the Gods available to believe in, could you choose a different God?

Well, to quote another thread "Why did God create atheists?" this would be the alternative.

Either they are able to choose their atheism, or someone made them be atheists.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I do not consider atheism a practice or that it is anything against there being a God.

Atheism is the overwhelming evidence that there is no God to speak of. Until there is such evidence it cannot be helped, atheism is the natural default honesty of the atheist.

It's nothing chosen!

Choosing to believe or disbelieve is nothing in reality. I choose to believe and simply do not believe.

I am eager to see people explore nature and the universe to come to the realization that there is no God. God is a being and spirit that is omnipotent, omnibenevolent, and exists infinitely.

It would be best if everybody sought out moral progress, and moral objectivity on their own. All we have is ourselves and each other.

If religion were demonstrably true then there would be considerably less atheists.

It's best to accept honesty as honesty when it comes to atheism.

Obviously theists have their honest belief and conviction. So many atheists always have to be wary of condemnation from believers.

It's a rather irritating and boring, and non productive conflict. Theism in many forms is a strong delusion.

I have no problem with theists who have a God that does not condemn atheists nor is looking to preach salvation from hell.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Atheism is a decision. Christianity is a decision. Advaita Vedanta is a decision.

Most thinking types make their choice based on their best reasoning. And most people can flip a time or two in their lifetimes as the correct position is not obvious.
Most people just uncritically accept the religion and folklore they're raised with. They're not choosing their beliefs. Some people examine the available evidence and accept whatever conclusion it supports. They've made a choice.

If a religious abandons belief in God, he's an atheist by choice. If he's raised in a non-theistic culture, or has never accepted religious mythology, he remains a born atheist, and has made no choice.

Atheism is lack of belief. We're born lacking beliefs, ergo: we're born as non-choice atheists.

No. Belief is not a choice. You either believe or you do not.

After believing is no longer an option, one can either pretend to believe, or continue to not believe or understand believing. But believing after not believing is not a choice.
Huh? I'm not following, here.

leov

God's Kingdom is a real place, you choose or not does not change anything. The Kingdom and individual souls relations has volunteer basis. It is part of evolution of consciousness. It happens even if one has no belief.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, to quote another thread "Why did God create atheists?" this would be the alternative.

A choice is a conscious decision. Did you choose your lack of belief in Cthulu?
If you didn't consciously choose your acthuluism, were you born an acthuluist, or did someone make you one?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Most people just uncritically accept the religion and folklore they're raised with.
That may have been true in past centuries but I don't find that true anymore in 21st century western culture. About everyone does their own thinking for themselves and decides what they believe.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God's Kingdom is a real place, you choose or not does not change anything. The Kingdom and individual souls relations has volunteer basis. It is part of evolution of consciousness. It happens even if one has no belief.
I'm sure you believe this, but I'm also sure your belief is unsupported, ie: faith.

HonestJoe

If you think belief is a choice you should be able to fairly easily demonstrate it. Simply choose to stop believing in God, just for a few minutes (not just saying it, truly and honestly not believing at all). Could you do that?

leov

I'm sure you believe this, but I'm also sure your belief is unsupported, ie: faith.
it can on!y be supported from inside of individual , it is part of individual, you have it you work with it, you don't have just live without harming.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The answer is no and yes. No, they didn't want to. Yes, they gave in to the sorcery and were overpowered by Satanic forces, and had they persevered and held on to God or sought to destroy their disquiet doubt, they would've defeat the murky shadows from their sins by which Iblis forces work through.

First rule of doubting: know when to stop doubting.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That may have been true in past centuries but I don't find that true anymore in 21st century western culture. About everyone does their own thinking for themselves.
But is religion a subject most people actually think about or critically analyze? I still say most people just accept the cultural norms they're raised with. They probably put more effort into choosing a TV or Winter coat.
How many people could even explain the theological precepts, rationale, or history even of their own religion? Fewer, still, can intelligently discuss the competing systems.
Basic Religion Test Stumps Many Americans

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you think belief is a choice you should be able to fairly easily demonstrate it. Simply choose to stop believing in God, just for a few minutes (not just saying it, truly and honestly not believing at all). Could you do that?

Moral decisions of this severity aren't like choice, do I want to each chocolate or vanilla ice cream today. Nothing like that. But it's a choice to give in and not fight off sins when they begin to command the soul to disbelieve and pretend God's vision doesn't define you and even make you believe he doesn't exist.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The answer is no and yes. No, they didn't want to. Yes, they gave in to the sorcery and were overpowered by Satanic forces, and had they persevered and held on to God or sought to destroy their disquiet doubt, they would've defeat the murky shadows from their sins by which Iblis forces work through.

First rule of doubting: know when to stop doubting.
Huh?

Who's "they?" "...didn't want to what?
Satanic forces? Iblis forces?