• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism and Leperchauns-ism

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
@ friend Subduction Zone: "One does not 'believe in Atheism' ".
It is not worth believing in Atheism as is not worth believing in "Leprechauns-ism". Is it correct to state that, please?
No offense intended to any person, please.
Regards

Post #59
Are you truly missing the point? It is not difficult to understand what was meant.

PureX

Veteran Member
It is not worth believing in Atheism as is not worth believing in "Leprechauns-ism".
The term "believe in" is vague and basically irrelevant. Theism is first a philosophical proposition, and second a philosophical position based on the acceptance of that proposition. Atheism is the rejection of that proposition, and thereby the antithetical position based on that rejection. Agnosticism is a tangential proposition that takes no position based on lack of knowledge. And belief is not the determining factor in any of this. Nor is it a necessary factor. We can accept the theist proposition without "believing in" the existence of any gods. We can also reject that proposition without believing that no gods exist. And we can hold either position without believing one or the other. Belief is not a requirement for asserting a philosophical proposition, nor for rejecting one.

I understand that in most cases people "believe in" whatever position they've chosen regarding the theist proposition. Which is why we commonly assume the debate is about belief. But it's not about belief. It's about logic, and reason, leading one to assert, accept, deny, or refrain from choosing a philosophical proposition.

Audie

Veteran Member
I take offense to every thread you make about the same topic when people waste their time answering your questions that are growing exponentially in the factor of ridiculousness. The questions are worded differently about the same exact topic. Wha...How,,,,Why, Why can't you figure this out.

Why do you rise to the bait?

That argument would be redundant anyhow, since there’s a much more compelling reason: the “lack of belief in gods” definition reflects actual usage and your definition doesn’t.

Highly dubious logic there regarding how people you don't know actually use words in conversations you are not part of using thought processes you are not party to yet assume must match your own, but seeing as it is irrelevant to my actual post in context not really much point in discussing further.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Highly dubious logic there regarding how people you don't know actually use words in conversations you are not part of using thought processes you are not party to yet assume must match your own, but seeing as it is irrelevant to my actual post in context not really much point in discussing further.
Yes... no doubt I'm surrounded by people who consider polytheists "atheists" but they only use the term this way behind my back.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are you truly missing the point? It is not difficult to understand what was meant.
He seems unable to grasp the concept, for some reason, brain lesion, perhaps. He also seems unable to grasp analogy.
Nothing, as long as you don't expect others to make concessions to such a belief.
Like the Icelandic Huldufolk, who live among rock piles?;)

Álfhóll in Kópavogur. Since the elves are believed to live here, the road narrows.

jonathan180iq

I think the OP's confusion highlights one of the root problems with faith systems in general; they produce an apparent inability to understand something different from the subject worldview.

Non-belief is almost incomprehensible to someone who has been taught how to believe in something.

For reference, see the dozens of other threads on this same topic...

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't think this is something specific to @paarsurrey .

Anedoctal evidence, but I have had personal witness on how difficult it is for a Muslim acquaintance of mine to even understand the idea of the Christian Trinity.

Not to agree or even to validate as internally consistent, mind you. To understand.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It is not worth believing in Atheism as is not worth believing in "Leprechauns-ism". Is it correct to state that, please?
Regards

Post #59

And another... .:shrug:

Wow.. Just wow!!!

If you are really interested i (and i am sure several others) would willingly attempt* to teach you what atheism is and answer any questions you have, either openly on a thread or by private message.

* I *ed attempt because on several threads you have started on the subject many have attempted to correct your faulty assumptions to no avail

Last edited:

Mox

Dr Green Fingers
"Without god" + -ism
There are valid reasons for preferring one definition over the other, but arguing that one is the 'literal' meaning based on letters is somewhat flawed given its arbitrariness.

I don't see any reason we should assign additional philosophical or other qualification to the term atheist.

Certainly one may add a term. Such as Broard Atheist or Strong Atheist or Narrow Atheist or an Indifferent Atheist to convey additional philsophical or other qualification beyond simple non belief in deity.

QuestioningMind

Regards

Post #59

What is the purpose of making the same silly post nearly every single day? Especially since you hardly if ever bother to respond to the replies that you receive pointing out what a silly post it is.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Paarsurrey attempts to fit atheism into his own personal model of how thoughts fall together, then attempts to force this model on the atheists he encounters. "I believe in X, you believe in Y." I would assume this is to perpetuate the notion that both are equal in practice, and can therefore be argued on relative merit or results. I have to assume this, since he's not actually arguing.

Naturally, the atheist response overwhelmingly focuses on the usage of the phrase 'believe in' as if this can't be easily transferred into the phrase 'consider true', 'convinced of' or any other number of nuanced versions of the same. Its essentially the same attempt to force your personal model of thinking on the OP. "I don't 'believe in'. YOU 'believe in'! " For the record, Christians have been vomiting the same sort of nonsense for some time. "I don't 'believe in' Jesus because its the truth! You don't 'believe in' truth, it just is!" Its ridiculous semantics, and I'm pretty sure you all know that. Yet you engage in it anyway like its the greatest 'gotcha' ever.

Defiantly focusing on the wrong thing is useless. Keep it up though, folks! Why not? Its not like you actually care whether Paarsurrey ever comes around to understanding you, it seems to me that all you'd really like to accomplish is the accumulation of praise from your peers. Not to say he's any different. I assume he shows these threads to his fellow believers and they all pat him on the back for exposing heathens or whatever.

Here's to breaking the wheel.

Milton Platt

Regards

Post #59

I believe atheism exists because I have spoken to people who are atheists and I am an atheist myself. However, I have never seen a leprechaun, nor good evidence that they exist.
You are actually trying to compare a response to a claim (atheism) to a claim (Leprechauns exist), which is meaningless. You are comparing lack of belief in a proposition to belief in a proposition.
Atheism isn't a set of beliefs or dogma you believe in. It is a lack of belief in something.
Are you deliberately ignorant after all this time, or are you actually mentally impaired in some way that does not allow you to understand the posts made to you?

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Paarsurrey attempts to fit atheism into his own personal model of how thoughts fall together, then attempts to force this model on the atheists he encounters. "I believe in X, you believe in Y." I would assume this is to perpetuate the notion that both are equal in practice, and can therefore be argued on relative merit or results. I have to assume this, since he's not actually arguing.

Naturally, the atheist response overwhelmingly focuses on the usage of the phrase 'believe in' as if this can't be easily transferred into the phrase 'consider true', 'convinced of' or any other number of nuanced versions of the same. Its essentially the same attempt to force your personal model of thinking on the OP. "I don't 'believe in'. YOU 'believe in'! " For the record, Christians have been vomiting the same sort of nonsense for some time. "I don't 'believe in' Jesus because its the truth! You don't 'believe in' truth, it just is!" Its ridiculous semantics, and I'm pretty sure you all know that. Yet you engage in it anyway like its the greatest 'gotcha' ever.

Defiantly focusing on the wrong thing is useless. Keep it up though, folks! Why not? Its not like you actually care whether Paarsurrey ever comes around to understanding you, it seems to me that all you'd really like to accomplish is the accumulation of praise from your peers. Not to say he's any different. I assume he shows these threads to his fellow believers and they all pat him on the back for exposing heathens or whatever.

Here's to breaking the wheel.
"I assume he shows these threads to his fellow believers and they all pat him on the back for exposing heathens or whatever."

I have not shown "these threads" to anyone, here one is wrong,please.

Regards

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"I assume he shows these threads to his fellow believers and they all pat him on the back for exposing heathens or whatever."

I have not shown "these threads" to anyone, here one is wrong,please.

Regards
Have you figured out yet that you are the one that believes in Leprechauns in the analogy?

Thermos aquaticus

Theism is first a philosophical proposition, and second a philosophical position based on the acceptance of that proposition.

Theism is a belief in deities, as described in every dictionary. A-theism literally means "without a belief in deities". That's it. Theism requires belief and it simply isn't a question that one asks.