• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism and Leperchauns-ism

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
@ friend Subduction Zone: "One does not 'believe in Atheism' ".
It is not worth believing in Atheism as is not worth believing in "Leprechauns-ism". Is it correct to state that, please?
No offense intended to any person, please.
Regards

Post #59

Spiderman

Veteran Member
What the?:confused:

I don't...:grimacing:

I can't even...?:eek:

Who's got this?:rolleyes:

Be easy on the OP...he is not at fault for being oblivious to the correction received at other threads....:facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Just smile, wave, jog on... only those of us who find this amusing and entertaining should hang out here...:D

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
What the?:confused:

I can't even...?:eek:

Who's got this?:rolleyes:

Be easy on the OP...he is not at fault for being oblivious to the correction received at other threads....:facepalm:

Don't be easy, I think he needs some harsh criticism drilled into his skull with industrial power tools to get the information in there.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It is not worth believing in Atheism as is not worth believing in "Leprechauns-ism". Is it correct to state that, please?
Regards

Post #59
I already pointed out that you have this backwards.

You are the one that believes in "Leprechaunism".

Do you not understand that?

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I take offense to every thread you make about the same topic when people waste their time answering your questions that are growing exponentially in the factor of ridiculousness. The questions are worded differently about the same exact topic. Wha...How,,,,Why, Why can't you figure this out.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I take offense to every thread you make about the same topic when people waste their time answering your questions that are growing exponentially in the factor of ridiculousness. The questions are worded differently about the same exact topic. Wha...How,,,,Why, Why can't you figure this out.
He doesn't know any better...

Where is your sense of humor?

I know, it isn't funny when people are oblivious to correction...but having a sense of humor with people can make life easier for you! ;)

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
He doesn't know any better...

Where is your sense of humor?

I know, it isn't funny when people are oblivious to correction...but having a sense of humor with people can make life easier for you! ;)
I had a sense of humor about it when the first question was posed, but that was thousands of questions about the same exact thing years ago.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I find it interesting how many intelligent people post articulate thoughtful responses to questions that aren't coherent...

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Regards

Post #59

I'm not offended, just a little confused.
Atheism is sometimes compared to Aleprechaunism as a way of demonstrating how we 'normally' deal with non beliefs.

I don't find that super helpful, but that's what folks do. Your OP isn't worded like that, hence the confusion.

Mox

Dr Green Fingers

One does not believe in Atheism, because atheism is the rejection of a particular set of beliefs. Those that all have in common, supernatural controlling deities.

Atheism in basic definition, is the non belief in Gods. The word literally means 'Without-God'.

It is exactly the same as non belief in the fictions of ''Flat Earth Theory'' or Creationism.

It is a lack of belief, not a positive belief.

Atheism in basic definition, is the non belief in Gods. The word literally means 'Without-God'.... It is a lack of belief, not a positive belief.

"Without god" + -ism

-ism | ɪz(ə)m | suffix 2 forming nouns denoting a system, principle, or ideological movement: Anglicanism | feminism | hedonism.

Not that I believe we can definitively establish meaning purely from the letters in a word, but if we do go that route there is no reason to see the word as 'literally' denoting an absence of belief a(theism) over a the alternative athe(ism) which denotes adopting a philosophical position.

There are valid reasons for preferring one definition over the other, but arguing that one is the 'literal' meaning based on letters is somewhat flawed given its arbitrariness.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I find it interesting how many intelligent people post articulate thoughtful responses to questions that aren't coherent...
I figure it's just people making a shot in the dark with a response in hopes the question was understood.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Regards

Post #59
No. Belief in leprechauns is analogous to belief in gods, not to lack of belief in gods.

And keep in mind that leprechauns were once (and still are, by some people) believed in as a religious belief by believers who were just as devout toward your religion as you are to yours.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There are valid reasons for preferring one definition over the other, but arguing that one is the 'literal' meaning based on letters is somewhat flawed given its arbitrariness.
That argument would be redundant anyhow, since there’s a much more compelling reason: the “lack of belief in gods” definition reflects actual usage and your definition doesn’t.