• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ark Encounter. Delusions on today's youth.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The girls actually did a wonderfully fantastic job on the guided video tour for Ken Ham's ark and they clearly were having a load of fun.

The really sad part is how things like Ark Encounter intellectually pollute bright young minds with something so worthless, providing no educational or practical quality aside from the Ark's entertainment value.

I guess my question is if you feel there is any real lasting damage being done to today's young people by promoting a belief like Ark Encounter that has no basis in reality whatsoever and void of any scientific principles.

These girls would be so much better off had they narrated one of Bill Nye's programs, instead of Ken Hams religious delusions like the ark.

It just seems like such a terrible waste of young minds to me.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The girls actually did a wonderfully fantastic job on the guided video tour for Ken Ham's ark and they clearly were having a load of fun.

The really sad part is how things like Ark Encounter intellectually pollute bright young minds with something so worthless, providing no educational or practical quality aside from the Ark's entertainment value.
I'm sure their minds were made up long before they arrived at the ark.

I guess my question is if you feel there is any real lasting damage being done to today's young people by promoting a belief like Ark Encounter that has no basis in reality whatsoever and void of any scientific principles.
Only to the extent that it reinforces their naive belief. One of my issues is that the ark is so damn silly. If you're going to build a replica ark then at least do it so it makes sense. The structure itself is way over designed, what with a rounded hull and bulbous bow. A furniture wood-working shop and blacksmith shop? As if they'd have the space for tools and material and the time to use them. And posh living quarters that were simply brainless when one considers all the room that would have been necessary for animal food storage and fresh water basins. Oh yes, I don't believe the matter of taking all the various plant species aboard and their storage and upkeep is ever dealt with---plants also die underwater you know. Then there were the millions upon millions of insects that would have needed space and tending. Nope the ark and its very idea are outright goofy.

But hey, the need to believe often trumps reason, so I guess it doesn't make much difference how stupid an idea is as long as one needs to believe it.

Ever see me do this? Yup, a picture of me actually removing the end of my thumb.

life96.jpg

Sorry if this made you sick to your stomach or faint.

Twilight Hue

and waste of money, time and TREES, just for a fantasy.
No doubt. I'm sure the municipality that funded Ken Ham has a notable case of buyers remorse as much as those taxpayers who opposed the use of tax monies for this.

Thing is, an interactive science museum would be a far better investment to make as well as being entertaining. It would not have filled young minds with useless and worthless information that is being pushed as true.

Twilight Hue

Ever see me do this? Yup, a picture of me actually removing the end of my thumb.

life96.jpg

Sorry if this made you sick to your stomach or faint.

Should have liberally sprinkled a tube of fake blood on your severed digit Skwim. For effect. *Grin*

Last friend I had that severed his thumb exactly like yours, put it in a jewelry box with cotton in it and opened the lid to show that it was inside !!! *Yikes*

NURSE!!!!!!!

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

These girls would be so much better off had they narrated one of Bill Nye's programs, instead of Ken Hams religious delusions like the ark.

With all the fake stuff all over the internet and how kids today a tied 24/7 to it the Ark is an actual benefit to kids. I wish I could pull my kids away from the internet and have them be that happy to see the ark.

Secondly that ark is loaded with scientific principles, you can't build a building like that without using science. If you go there with you child it all about how you explain it to the child. You could inspire the child to be an engineer, a biologist, a paleontologist ...etc. It about how you clarify the facts and fictions.

omega2xx

Maybe you should consider that many who believe in the ark are fare more intellignt than you are.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
With all the fake stuff all over the internet and how kids today a tied 24/7 to it the Ark is an actual benefit to kids. I wish I could pull my kids away from the internet and have them be that happy to see the ark.

Secondly that ark is loaded with scientific principles, you can't build a building like that without using science. If you go there with you child it all about how you explain it to the child. You could inspire the child to be an engineer, a biologist, a paleontologist ...etc. It about how you clarify the facts and fictions.
And yet that same group of sciences almost squashes the probability that the original ark was ever built. For example, think of how many trees would have been consumed in the making of said ark. Anyone who has ever cut down a tree, by hand, can attest to the improbability of repeating this thousands of times, let alone the logistics of dragging all the logs back to the construction site.

Then consider the unlikely ability of the ark inhabitants at defying genetic reality by inbreeding for generations.

Personally, science can be hard enough to understand without needlessly complicating it with such obviously made up lies disingenuously presented as being factual.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Maybe you should consider that many who believe in the ark are fare more intellignt than you are.
Maybe we just don't want to waste our young intelligent minds and time on this ridiculous thread.

I have decide not to hit the "watch thread" link.

Last edited:

whirlingmerc

Bill Nye is wrong

The geology we see in the world is more consistent with a world wide flood.
If there was a flood we would expect billions of dead things buried in rock layers all over the earth and that's what we see.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
And yet that same group of sciences almost squashes the probability that the original ark was ever built. For example, think of how many trees would have been consumed in the making of said ark. Anyone who has ever cut down a tree, by hand, can attest to the improbability of repeating this thousands of times, let alone the logistics of dragging all the logs back to the construction site.

Then consider the unlikely ability of the ark inhabitants at defying genetic reality by inbreeding for generations.

Personally, science can be hard enough to understand without needlessly complicating it with such obviously made up lies disingenuously presented as being factual.

I guess you hate going to movies than especially sci-fy and action movies which needlessly complicate science all the time with made up lies disingenuously presented as being factual.

How many tree's are consumed by people that still print everything.

The ark has been built and it can be a valuable teaching tool. Its all how you teach. If you can't figure out how to present it to your child the problem is with you not the ark. Fiction mixed with fact is encountered everyday. It is the parents responsibility to help their child separate the two. The parent tends to do it pretty well as most children succeed in life. By the way life tends to complicate things all the time especially with children.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I guess you hate going to movies than especially sci-fy and action movies which needlessly complicate science all the time with made up lies disingenuously presented as being factual.
The difference, Bob is that I don't believe what is depicted in the movies is real, more importantly, I know it's not real. This Biblical fable is touted as real and many people believe it is real. A bit of a difference.

How many tree's are consumed by people that still print everything.
Let me get this straight, you're comparing the actions of literally millions of people with the supposed actions of a single man? Seriously? Good luck with that line of thought.

The ark has been built and it can be a valuable teaching tool. Its all how you teach. If you can't figure out how to present it to your child the problem is with you not the ark. Fiction mixed with fact is encountered everyday. It is the parents responsibility to help their child separate the two. The parent tends to do it pretty well as most children succeed in life. By the way life tends to complicate things all the time especially with children.
As someone who has taught classes, I understand the mechanics of teaching and learning quite well. That you see this as a learning experience, while novel, is more than a bit silly.

"Hey kids, now look at this next items. The morons that created this believe it to be literally true. Let me explain why this is all just nonsense."

I suppose, in one respect it could be a great learning experience, but I doubt that many of the people attending the exhibition would be edified by the doubting Thomas commentary. I'm thinking by the 4th or 5th "teaching moment" one would be asked to leave so as not to further upset the believers.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The ark also has great comedic value.
So I'm not worried that it'll corrupt the young....any more than they'd otherwise be corrupted.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
The difference, Bob is that I don't believe what is depicted in the movies is real, more importantly, I know it's not real. This Biblical fable is touted as real and many people believe it is real. A bit of a difference.

Let me get this straight, you're comparing the actions of literally millions of people with the supposed actions of a single man? Seriously? Good luck with that line of thought.

As someone who has taught classes, I understand the mechanics of teaching and learning quite well. That you see this as a learning experience, while novel, is more than a bit silly.

"Hey kids, now look at this next items. The morons that created this believe it to be literally true. Let me explain why this is all just nonsense."

I suppose, in one respect it could be a great learning experience, but I doubt that many of the people attending the exhibition would be edified by the doubting Thomas commentary. I'm thinking by the 4th or 5th "teaching moment" one would be asked to leave so as not to further upset the believers.

So you have no problem with fiction depicting science improperly. Is it OK if its a true story doesn't get the facts right. I would guess its OK for the whole of the entertainment industry to depict science falsehoods. Movies, Books, Comedians etc. How do you feel about sales depicting science improperly, to promote there product. Like talking animals probably ok, women or men fawning over a new perfume or sunglasses, nature reacting to a product in a positive way. Where exactly do you draw the line is it just when religion depicts it falsely.

One man built one ark and it using said facility. Millions of people print paper to throw it away. Home's are built from tree's worse yet homes are still heated by tree's. The amount of tree's he killed to produced that ark has been 1000's of times over wasted yearly. He's no longer killing tree's and possibly planted a few, we still are killing trees for stupider uses.

First off, I don't have as much teaching experience as you but I would go over, what the people that made the ark believe and what I want the students to learn before we went in the ark. I would not make fun of the experience while there and then after experience go over what they took away and what is important. Once you tell your students anything is stupid you lost all credibility with them.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Should have liberally sprinkled a tube of fake blood on your severed digit Skwim. For effect. *Grin*

Last friend I had that severed his thumb exactly like yours, put it in a jewelry box with cotton in it and opened the lid to show that it was inside !!! *Yikes*

NURSE!!!!!!!
I remember doing that as a kid in grade school.