• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apparently Darwin isn't kosher

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
In today's The Times of Israel is a disturbing article titled Israeli schools largely avoid teaching evolution - report, disturbing both because of its content and because it came as no surprise. After all, some four months ago the same news source ran a related piece under the headline Jerusalem museum censors evolution exhibit to avoid offending the ultra-Orthodox followed by Despite outrage, Jerusalem museum vows to keep censoring evolution exhibit.

I personally have far more serious issues with Israel, but I find the above to be maddening and shameful nonetheless.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
In today's The Times of Israel is a disturbing article titled Israeli schools largely avoid teaching evolution - report, disturbing both because of its content and because it came as no surprise. After all, some four months ago the same news source ran a related piece under the headline Jerusalem museum censors evolution exhibit to avoid offending the ultra-Orthodox followed by Despite outrage, Jerusalem museum vows to keep censoring evolution exhibit.

I personally have far more serious issues with Israel, but I find the above to be maddening and shameful nonetheless.
How was your pilgrimage to Israel?

Anyway, I never expected you to say you were sickened or maddened by Israel.

My mom was a very hardcore Zionist and now she has very negative things to say about Israel as well.

Maybe I should start considering those things. I've always been a fan of Israel and keep an Israeli flag in my room. I simply admire how brilliant they are and how they got land that the Old Testament promised to them.

It seems it was their destiny.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
They are kissing the butt of the evangelicals and simultaneously doing them harm, not that anybody wants my opinion. That being said I dont blame them for acting like a drowning animal. Its pretty deep out there.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I am shocked by this. I had thought Judaism was mercifully free from stupid biblical literalism. What is even more shocking is that a Jewish place of learning would self-censor in such a way, to the detriment of teaching. Again my previous impression was that Judaism had a tradition of respect for learning which would not permit such pusillanimity.

Rational Agnostic

Yes, that is unfortunate. It's surprising, because I thought Israel was a fairly progressive and secularized country considering the number of brothels there.:D

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I didn't. All Middle Eastern countries without exception are in a deeply regressive cultural, intellectual, and ethical state in one way or another, to varying extents.
I never saw Israel as like that despite it being a "Tamuldic state".

I didn't see such brilliant advanced people as holding their people back!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Over the decades I went from being a 100% supporter of Israel to my present opinion of it being government by extremists and expansionists. It's no doubt a model for those in the USA who want to do the same thing here. I can not and will not support Israel until the the right wing fanatics there are no longer running the show.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I am not surprised the establishment of Israel is progressively becoming more conservative. I visited Israel in 2000 and slummed around for two weeks in hostiles after spending three days at the Baha'i World Center. I had the opportunity to talk to a lot pilgrims, and locals even young conservative Jews. One interesting point is the JEws did not consider Judaism a religion, and take a more conservative view of the Tanakh, They di not consider it as a literal history as such like the fundamentalist Christians, but seemed to consider humans uniquely created, and not evolved.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I visited Israel in 2000 and slummed around for two weeks in hostiles after spending three days at the Baha'i World Center.
I stayed at a hotel right up the mountain from that site and wanted to visit it but didn't have enough time. Looked beautiful on the outside though.

gnostic

The Lost One

People, including in the executive or political circles, can be utterly absurd, especially when they tried placate fundamental religious groups.