• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AOC and All Other Members of the "Squad" Have Been Re-Elected to Congress

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Being wise includes defending the defenseless if necessary.
Jesus said his kingdom wasn't of this world but if it were his followers would have fought.
He didn't negate self defense or even combat.
The early Church of the 2nd century certainly thought he did as they were forbidden to fight in any war or to serve as police. It wasn't until the end of the 2nd century that the latter was finally allowed, and it wasn't until the 4th century under Constantine that the former was allowed.

metis

You mean you missed it again?
Well, I'm just wondering about your motive as I know some men who simply feel emasculated by strong women. Hey, I'm married to one from Italy, and if we disagree, she can say 10 sentences faster than I can say 1. :emojconfused:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
The early Church of the 2nd century certainly thought he did as they were forbidden to fight in any war or to serve as police. It wasn't until the end of the 2nd century that the latter was finally allowed, and it wasn't until the 4th century under Constantine that the former was allowed.
Not biblical. There were Christian soldiers in the early church.

metis

Not biblical. There were Christian soldiers in the early church.
Not in the first 3 centuries. Maybe get the book "Tradition In the Early Church" by Dr. Hanson (Anglican), and it is available at Amazon. Another is Martin Marty's (Lutheran) "The First Christians". Hanson's book is especially heavily documented, and I highly recommend it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not usually. And how do you know which ones are actually going to become "mass shootings" which can mean anything from a drive by to killing hundreds?
One can tell when someone is going to attempt it. You made a foolish statement that you could not support. I showed that you were wrong. There are almost no examples of mass shootings being stopped by armed citizens. You confirmed that with your failure.

metis

In the Bible, silly!
There were Roman soldiers that became Christians.
Exactly, and they had to leave!

Again, I am not the one having an opinion based on mere speculation as I have given you just two sources that you can look for yourself. But my guess is that you won't since you'd find out that you simply are wrong, and you couldn't tolerate that.

Maybe it's time to get over yourself and actually do the research.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
One can tell when someone is going to attempt it. You made a foolish statement that you could not support. I showed that you were wrong. There are almost no examples of mass shootings being stopped by armed citizens. You confirmed that with your failure.
Actually there are a lot that have been stopped by armed security or citizens.
At least 69 mass shootings have been stopped by armed civilians since 1990, data collected by the Crime Prevention Research Center shows.