• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AOC and All Other Members of the "Squad" Have Been Re-Elected to Congress

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
So do about a million other materials. But ironically, you are protected every day by men with guns. You would most likely not have the freedom you do except for men with guns.
A gun is a tool. It's no more evil than a shovel or knife, which also can be used to kill.
Not on the same level as guns. No where near it. Besides the fact that guns are made for killing. A gun is a tool for killing. And a lot of people at once. Unlike your silly shovel example.

Shaul

Premium Member
All members of the "Squad" have been re-elected to Congress:

AOC, other 'Squad' members win landslide victories in 2022 elections

With Democrats managing to avert a "red wave" and outperforming expectations—even though they're expectedly en route to losing at least one chamber of Congress—the re-election of multiple high-profile progressives is a substantial victory.

I have great respect for all of the women in the "Squad," especially AOC and Ilhan Omar. This is great news.
The re-election of them is not any substantial victory at all. They are in "safe" Democrat district. Anyone with a "D" beside their name would fare as well.

The Squad can now look forward to being in the political minority in the House. They will have no power. They are irrelevant.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The re-election of them is not any substantial victory at all. They are in "safe" Democrat district. Anyone with a "D" beside their name would fare as well.

The Squad can now look forward to being in the political minority in the House. They will have no power. They are irrelevant.

Are you trying to clam that the Republicans will just take the role of being obstructionist in the House? You better hope not. That technique does not fare well historically. The Democrats will still control the White House and the Senate. If all they can do is to nay say Biden's proposals they will probably cost the Republicans the next election. Now that they are almost surely going to take the house they will have to demonstrate real leadership.

I will not be holding my breath.

Shaul

Premium Member
Are you trying to clam that the Republicans will just take the role of being obstructionist in the House? You better hope not. That technique does not fare well historically. The Democrats will still control the White House and the Senate. If all they can do is to nay say Biden's proposals they will probably cost the Republicans the next election. Now that they are almost surely going to take the house they will have to demonstrate real leadership.

I will not be holding my breath.
They will be constructionists. And since the Squad have never been that, they can enjoy their new place.

Shaul

Premium Member
Seriously? They have only be obstructionists in the past. What do you think that they will accomplish in their short reign?
Yes, the Squad have been only obstructionists in the past. They aren't even worth the time of day. Their 15 minutes of relevance has passed.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Not on the same level as guns. No where near it. Besides the fact that guns are made for killing. A gun is a tool for killing. And a lot of people at once. Unlike your silly shovel example.
I could kill a whole lot more people with a few common ingredients that aren't designed to kill than using a gun could. The twin towers didn't fall because of gunfire either.
It's not the tool, it's how it's used.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I could kill a whole lot more people with a few common ingredients that aren't designed to kill than using a gun could. The twin towers didn't fall because of gunfire either.
That may be true but this is just another "So what?" argument on your part. You may have studied how to make various bombs and how to acquire the materials. The average person has not. That is why most mass shootings occur when some idiot gets guns and ammo that he never should have had. That is far too easy.

Thank the FSM that the Timothy McVeigh's of the world are few and far between.

We Never Know

No Slack

Not to mention the average person does not go out and commit mass shootings, blow buildings up with bombs, fly jets in buildings, drive a car through crowds of people, etc.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think something smaller. Maybe a Glock or a revolver.
Matt 10[16] "Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

and...
Matt26[51
] And behold, one of those who were with Jesus stretched out his hand and drew his sword, and struck the slave of the high priest, and cut off his ear.

[52] Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Guns are a tool for killing. That's what they're designed for.

But what do I know, I'm from a country that doesn't have a mass shooting once or twice every week.

TLK Valentine

Read the books that others would burn.
I could kill a whole lot more people with a few common ingredients that aren't designed to kill than using a gun could.

That would require education, intelligence, and effort.

The appeal of firearms is that they make mass killing completely idiot-proof.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Matt 10[16] "Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

and...
Matt26[51
] And behold, one of those who were with Jesus stretched out his hand and drew his sword, and struck the slave of the high priest, and cut off his ear.
[52] Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.
Being wise includes defending the defenseless if necessary.
Jesus said his kingdom wasn't of this world but if it were his followers would have fought.
He didn't negate self defense or even combat.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
That may be true but this is just another "So what?" argument on your part. You may have studied how to make various bombs and how to acquire the materials. The average person has not. That is why most mass shootings occur when some idiot gets guns and ammo that he never should have had. That is far too easy.

Thank the FSM that the Timothy McVeigh's of the world are few and far between.
Lol, you're on the internet, you can find out how to make a bomb very quickly. It doesn't take intelligence, and you don't even have to pass a background check. Nothing is secret or inaccessible knowledge anymore.

Guns are overwhelmingly used for self-defense and by law enforcement.