• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-Karma

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
When you give something to one person, another goes without it.
That is chance. Chance plays a big part in our life and universe. There may or may not be an effect of one's action (karma - action) in a person's life or in someone else's life. As far as action in any other life of the person performing the act, that is precluded because there is no other life, this is the only one. I would take the literal meaning of 'karma', that is action.

Somkid

Karma simply stated is nothing more than cause and reaction. There are no opposites black and white, dog and cat, boy and girl are different not opposite. I always ask my students if black is opposite of white what is opposite of pink? And if dog is the opposite of cat what is the opposite of elephant or giraffe? Boy and girl eh, I might give ya that one based on thinking only...

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
Let us try and understand it this way.
It starts with THINKING.
You want to buy a house [thought - desire]
you do something like get a job etc. and you have the house.
Now if you go about it plain and simple your karma balance is restricted to that one desire but if you are in a hurry to get the house and start selling drugs illegally, without caring for others who are getting affected by your act the KARMA balance is getting bigger.
The idea is to kill the desires at its root The MIND and allow the past karma balance to be over.
Only when the total karma is over is one free from action and inaction.
Love & rgds

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Everything in the universe seems to have it's equal opposite. Does Karma also have an opposite? They say that what goes around comes around. If that's Karma, then maybe Anti-Karma would be like nature. Nature abhors a vacuum. When you give something to one person, another goes without it. Also, the greater one persons success, the greater the envy from others. The more good you try to do, the stronger evil has to be to equal things out. Is there anything taught about Anti-Karma in the Dharmic Religions?
You are right that everything has an opposite --many opposites, in fact. But one in particular stands out. I see karma as a 'meme' of cause-and-effect (despite that term being coined by Dawkins) that is to say that there is an 'effect' that we, with 'right' understanding, can affect. Do good and you will influence good, and in turn will experience good upon you. The opposite, of course, is do nothing.

Now I may be misunderstanding this concept, but this is how I have come to grasp it; the wheel turns.

Karma is nature, so nature cannot be anti-karma. In nature --that is, confined within the nature of things --is this concept of karma, where good begets good and bad begets bad. Your other ideas, expressed in the OP, are just odd.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
But one in particular stands out. I see karma as a 'meme' of cause-and-effect (despite that term being coined by Dawkins)
He was/is an excellent evolutionary biologist. I think the meme is a brilliant concept.

Do good and you will influence good, and in turn will experience good upon you.
It's slightly more than that. It's that plus, do good and you will influence yourself, and in turn will be more likely to do good again in the future. Karma has both internal and external effects.

Smoke

Done here.
To me, karma just means that you have to face the consequences of your actions. I don't believe in reincarnation or that everything comes out even in the end. I don't believe, for instance, that Adolf Hitler will spend millions of lifetimes working his way up from microbe to human, suffering terribly along the way, until his karmic debt is paid. He had to face the consequences of his actions, but the consequences were not in proportion to his actions.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Karma as I understand it just means act or action.

But then there is the Law of Karma which is generally understand to mean 'reap what you sow' or 'cause and effect', i.e. Karma-Phala,..the fruits of one's action.

So back to the OP, the complimentary opposite of Karma is inertia or inaction.

And so far as the fruits of Karma are concerned, depending on the karma, there could be a 'good' result or there could be the opposite, i.e. a 'bad' result.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I just re-read the OP and it make no sense at all. I think this thread has come back around the circle of Karma to bite me. What was I thinking? :D

Then again, I really had no understanding of Karma back then, and I've learned alot from all of your comments so I guess it all equals out.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Kungfuzed,
ANTI KARMA,
Friend Aupmanyav has explained it.
Just adding to it further where as he mentions that everything is ready, you have done your action [karma] but it rains. That rain is taken as an effect of one's past karma and if the same is taken gracefully as something that had to happen, happened and whatever happens, happens for the good; then nothing negative ever affects the person and all action without desires leads the individual towards nirvana.
There are layers and layers of subconcious, unconcious and id. All these levels of unconciousness has to be concously brought unto light. That is final enlightenment.
Love & rgds

Brahman

Paramatman
one thing that i think people have a hard time with is that this world, and everything in it is illusionary. there are no cars, trees, or karma. there is only Brahman, who is God, and that is Consciousness. everything starts at consciousness. Once Brahma was reborn and awoke from his 311 trillion year sleep, his consciousness brought everything into existence. There is only one thing in the universe thats truly existent, and thats Brahman, and thats Consciousness.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Brahman,
You are absolutely right.
However our friend Kungfuzed was confused about KARMA and whether it has any opposing force?
Love & rgds

Brahman

Paramatman
Friend Brahman,
You are absolutely right.
However our friend Kungfuzed was confused about KARMA and whether it has any opposing force?
Love & rgds

why does that matter if karma is illusionary. i dont try to find how illusions work, thats ignorant. instead try to transcend karma and be realeased of the bonds. that, zenzero, is liberation.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Brahman,

try to transcend karma and be realeased of the bonds. that, zenzero, is liberation.

Since you are enlightened on the subject of transcending karma; why not show the way to do so? [maybe another thread on it?]

Love & rgds

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
To me, karma just means that you have to face the consequences of your actions. I don't believe in reincarnation or that everything comes out even in the end. I don't believe, for instance, that Adolf Hitler will spend millions of lifetimes working his way up from microbe to human, suffering terribly along the way, until his karmic debt is paid. He had to face the consequences of his actions, but the consequences were not in proportion to his actions.
There is no reincarnation but there is rebirth. Adolf Hitler will not spend millions of lifetimes working off karma. He is no more. But many, many lifetimes have been, are, and will be affected by the consequences of his actions.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There is no reincarnation but there is rebirth. Adolf Hitler will not spend millions of lifetimes working off karma. He is no more. But many, many lifetimes have been, are, and will be affected by the consequences of his actions.

:yes: